Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspention Woah's..... Need some help.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Woah's..... Need some help.....

Well.... I'll try and keep this short.

I purchased a set of Tein SS coil overs. I installed them correctly. Set them and locked them as stated in the instructions, then adjusted the ride to standard as the instructions state as well.

I soon notice that my pass. rear wheel sat higher than my driver side. and my pass. front wheel sat lower than my driver front. They were all set at about an 1inch of thread left in the front and a little more in the back. but it was way off. so I tried to play with them alittle to even it out, but I still can't get it right. Now they are all set at different levels, some have no thread to play with while others have a **** load to adjust with.

What do I do to solve this problem? I am going to get an alignment done, as well as camber work. would that solve this problem? or is it something else?

Sorry... the story was to long to keep short, help a brother out.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2004, 06:00 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (Irishweird00)

Trial and error. Keep at it until you get it right.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:06 PM
Banned

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (clm)

Trial and error is starting to **** me off. I already adjusted the height like 20 times, and I still can't get it right.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:11 PM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Are you only changing one thing at a time? Set one corner how you want it, then align the others individually to match. It's going to be time consuming, but it'll be worth it in the end. Maybe drink some beer to help pass the time?
Old 06-05-2004, 06:22 PM
IVI
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (clm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by clm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are you only changing one thing at a time? Set one corner how you want it, then align the others individually to match. It's going to be time consuming, but it'll be worth it in the end. Maybe drink some beer to help pass the time? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont think beer would help him out while hes working on his suspension. you dont wanna be buzzed or drunk while working on something that concerns your life..

Old 06-05-2004, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (IVI)

Like these guys said just play with each side till its right. Your car is not corner balanced so each one should be different. The way I do it is I make sure that my tire pressure is the same in all 4 tires, and then I measure the gap on each side and adjust accordingly
Old 06-06-2004, 01:47 AM
Banned

Default Re: Suspension Woah's..... Need some help..... (Irishweird00)

Alright well I'm gunna have to keep at it. But my rear pass side has no more thread to go. It's at the lowest level and it still has about a half inch gap from the tire to the fender.
Old 06-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Electrician

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (IVI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IVI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i dont think beer would help him out while hes working on his suspension. you dont wanna be buzzed or drunk while working on something that concerns your life..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who says you have to be buzzed or drunk after 1 or 2 beers? Lightweight...
Old 06-06-2004, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (Dimi)

ARe you measuring the height of the car off the fender and wheel?

you have to measure ride height off the 4 pinch welds where you jack up the car.. make sure each side is the same..

its going to be a bitch since as you adjust once side the other compensates.
Old 06-06-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (BatuKing)

http://www.jim-fab.com

they have a tool to messure how low you are and make sure its all the same.

you also need to make sure your ona perfectly LEVEL and flat ground when adjusting
Old 06-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Banned

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (slammed_93_hatch)

there has to be something wrong. the rear pass side is set to the lowest setting. this should put the wheel in the ****** fender, but it doesn't even eliminate wheel gap. could it be something to do with my rear control arms? I had to remove both sides when I put them on.

when I measured the height of the car I used a tap measure, but I did bring it to a level ground many times and it's still way off. I went from the center of the wheel to the fender
Old 06-06-2004, 11:23 AM
clm
Honda-Tech Member

Not to insult your intelligence, but you are turning them the correct way to lower, right?
Old 06-06-2004, 11:24 AM

um

are you sure you have the right springs on the right shocks?
get a pair of calipers and measure 30mm from the lip on the shock to the perch, just like it says in the instruction manual. if you did everything else right, and measure properly, it should be perfect.

springs will settle though. drive around for a while.

Modified by jwn7 at 4:22 PM 6/6/2004
Old 06-06-2004, 11:30 AM
Banned

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (jwn7)

yes im turning them the correct way... At first I thought we messed up the springs on the one side, because of the way it was sitting. but there is no way we could have done that. the front springs is way to small from the looks of it. But I didn't install them on the pass side, my friend did. how do I tell if they are the right spring in the front and back. they don't come marked

If he messed the springs up, I'm gunna kick him in the *****, cuz this is a pain in the ***.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:38 AM
Banned

Right now, that's the only thing that I think It could be. I think he screwed up the springs. but I don't know how to tell them apart cuz they don't say in the instructions.
Old 06-06-2004, 12:23 PM

yes it does

the springs should have numbers on them somewhere. i forget exactly what they say. i think one says xxx800xxx and one says xx400xxx. 800 goes on the front.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:12 PM

Are these new parts? I would say drive around on it for a few weeks and let the springs settle. When i lowered my 240 the rear was crooked at first, but eventually evened out.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (I'll cut ya!)

You are going to have to compensate for the engine/trans weight, hence why each coil over will be set different. That is how my teins are. They are all at different heights, but my car is even all around, you just have to mess with them.
Old 06-06-2004, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Irishweird00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Trial and error is starting to **** me off. I already adjusted the height like 20 times, and I still can't get it right.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I feel u man! the night i was tryin to get my **** dialed was nightmare...up and down up and down...drove me nuts and left me sore as fock....trial and error is the only way...
Old 06-06-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (HUBB)

OK I just jacked the piece of **** up and the Springs are in the right place, 800 in the front an 400 in the back. But they are still all uneven. would it make a difference if the spring is upside down? haha... I'm taking shots in the dark here cuz It's raining and leaving **** unfinished just eats away at me and it pisses me off more.

thanks for everyones help so far.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take a sharpie marker and mark the bottom ring and just count the times it goes around.....thats what i did and it helped...then to be extra sure just count the threads from the bottom up to make sure they match on either side...good luck
Old 06-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Banned

Default Re: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help..... (HUBB)

well thats just it. one side (rear) is dialed in and there is about 2 1/2 to 3 inchs of thread. and the other side (rear) is as low as it can go. no more thread to work with. the side that is completely dropped is higher than the other side. I know it should be off but that much? thats rediculous.
Old 06-06-2004, 03:52 PM

it doesn't matter how much threads you have showing. what matters is the distance of the spring from that lip on the shock. rip everything apart and follow the directions exactly.

installing springs isn't that bad of a job ... get the wheel off and it's just 4 bolts for each side. just go do it and quit trying to adjust them, because it's not working.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

Well I just took apart my rear end... check everything, inpected it. set them both to the same height. switched the coilovers to the opposite sides, and the pass side is still off by an 1inch and a half. I think It has something to do with the end links. on the one side it pulls the suspension up, while the other side it hangs, but it's still firm (pass side)... any idea how to adjust them. I think that is the only problem.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:47 PM
Banned

I think if something is off by an inch and a half, there is something wrong. I ripped everything apart and It's the same.

I measured everything on both sides, set the coilover at the same height. springs are the same, they were exactly the SAME... Installed them in the perch properly, bolted everything back up. went to level ground and It's still off by about an inch now. It looks ridiculous to me when I see one side with no wheel gap and the other with about an inch of gap.

I'm going to call up a local auto shop that specializes in suspensions and alignments to help me out. I'm through with this ****. there is nothing more I can do. I never heard of anything like this happening before.

Quick Reply: Suspention Woah's..... Need some help.....