Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension: TEINS and why??

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2003, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension: TEINS and why??

I'll be getting TEINS this week...but I have several options on which model to get. I'm lookinat 2 right now, SS and the FLEX....

Car: 92 Civic Hatchback but looking to get GSR or ITR models

SS: GSR : 8k/6k rates
Flex ITR: 9k/4k rates

How much of a diff would I or anyone notice from the two??

Flex has the upper mounts, the SS does not

"a very important part of the FLEX and why it is more expensive. you can adjust shock body height on the flex and not the SS. this allows for better strut performance at real low ride settings." -clubsi member

I am buying this week, help me decide....

Old 05-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (SlowCivicHmm)

Talk to Voodoo.
Old 05-12-2003, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the FLEX and i love them they feel so damn good makes the car handle so much better, i like the flex over the SS its more of a hard race car suspention plus you can get that cool little thingy that can change the dampers from inside the car (thats some cool ****) anyways i loke those flex over SS and you will need to get ITR LCA's for it will not work without them inlinefour has them for $110
Old 05-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Future Texas Boy

It depends on what you want to do w/ the car. IMO, the SS are plenty for most enthusiasts. A lot of people go a little overkill on their suspension setups.

Ryan
Old 05-12-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (nerces)

thanks.....I know about the ITR rear LCA's...thanks..keep it coming....

you said, "i like the flex over the SS its more of a hard race car suspention..." but the rates on the Flex are lower in the rear.....wouldn't you want higher rates in the rear??
Old 05-12-2003, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (vtecvoodoo)

What I want with the car is just to start auto x and road race events....

yeah I don't want to hear take your car out stock, learn to drive it instead of hiding your inperfections..I've heard it...but my ride sucks, blown struts etc etc...so help me out....

what the main reason for me getting the TEINS, a nice lookin drop that can handle good and perform well under track conditions....
Old 05-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Future Texas Boy

I think the SS would be fine. Take the extra money you save and put it towards events
Old 05-12-2003, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

would I benefit at all from the mounts??
Old 05-12-2003, 03:26 PM

get the ra's *****! from me! *****!

btw: your distributor ran strong for 7 hours yesterday to New Jersey, you da man.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowCivicHmm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What I want with the car is just to start auto x and road race events....</TD></TR></TABLE>shoulda gotten koni yellows and ground controls(which come with whatever spring rates you want. personally i was going to get the tein ss, but after long debate and research i found the ground control koni yellow combo to be better. the SS rates were just too soft for what i was going for.. i was planning on auto x also.. and if you check out the suspension setups for the top auto xers around.. they usually go for a koni gc or custom spring combo. i just went with the tried and proven setup. but if you wanna be jdm and whatnot.. i guess tein is the setup for you... i'de rather go with something that is already proven to be an awesome setup for auto x.
Old 05-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (vovinamer)

I put the flex kit on my EK. I dont know if it's as easy on a EG as they were on my EK. But i would totaly recomend them. It's like totaly easy to install, no fuss at all. For everyday driving it feels nice and you can adjust them to max and feel every little crack and pebble in the road and they handle like a dream! I am building my EK for auto-x and a few of my friends totaly recomended them! I can't say that I disagree with them! Because I can't even think of one thing I don't like about them!

Flex! in my opinion!
Old 05-12-2003, 04:31 PM

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (trav)

now that we are on the topic of the flex's i have a question... Tein recommends a certain setting for the shocks so the springs dont overpower them... wouldnt it **** the shocks if you were always changing them on the fly like that?
Old 05-12-2003, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (euclid)

Bastard, thread jack me again you ******!! lol....jk..

Good question....carryon...
Old 05-12-2003, 05:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vovinamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shoulda gotten koni yellows and ground controls(which come with whatever spring rates you want. personally i was going to get the tein ss, but after long debate and research i found the ground control koni yellow combo to be better. the SS rates were just too soft for what i was going for.. i was planning on auto x also.. and if you check out the suspension setups for the top auto xers around.. they usually go for a koni gc or custom spring combo. i just went with the tried and proven setup. but if you wanna be jdm and whatnot.. i guess tein is the setup for you... i'de rather go with something that is already proven to be an awesome setup for auto x.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why get koni / sleeve combo when a full coilover cost the same. If you want you can have custom spring rates ordered for the teins. It should not cost any more.
The teins also have a greater adjustablity range than the koni's.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (SpooN Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpooN Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why get koni / sleeve combo when a full coilover cost the same. If you want you can have custom spring rates ordered for the teins. It should not cost any more.
The teins also have a greater adjustablity range than the koni's. </TD></TR></TABLE> Because the koni's have been proven on the track where as i havent seen ss's or flex's win anything regarding auto x.. i might be wrong considering most of auto x is based on driver skill, but i did ask on custom spring rates on the ss's it would cost 150 give or take for custom spring rates. that would make your setup cost more than a gc koni setup.. why need 16 levels of dampening when you are prolly only gonna be using less than 4... (soft, mid, stiff). and like i said if he's gonna be going for auto x and road course... i would recommend the setup that has already been proven on the track. no need to have a fully sleeved shock body if it doesn't perform as well as the gc koni setup...
Old 05-12-2003, 06:05 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (SpooN Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpooN Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Why get koni / sleeve combo when a full coilover cost the same. If you want you can have custom spring rates ordered for the teins. It should not cost any more.
The teins also have a greater adjustablity range than the koni's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

What exactly is the performance difference between a threaded "sleeved" shock and a shock with the sleeves "built-in?" Just curious.

I'd like to see a shock dyno proving that the TEIN shocks have a "greater adjustability range" than the Konis, as well. Just because they click 16 times doesn't mean they have a greater overall adjustment range than the Konis.

TEINs are great and all, but their low-end units are not the holy grail of suspension that people make them to be. RAs and REs on the other hand, those are quite nice.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Koni's are a great setup as well. But just because a lot of people use them doesn't mean you can say they are any better or any worse then any other high end setup.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (SkyeC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkyeC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

TEINs are great and all, but their low-end units are not the holy grail of suspension that people make them to be. RAs and REs on the other hand, those are quite nice.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats what i always say, if you are going low end get g/c konis, dont waste $ on the steel teins.... it's not worth it.
the ra's are a rough ride but they are awesome coilovers performance wise, the re's are even better b/c you can adjust the shock travel too. they are both really light since they are aluminum and they come with pillowballs too.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:13 PM
OG triple OG

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vtecvoodoo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It depends on what you want to do w/ the car. IMO, the SS are plenty for most enthusiasts. A lot of people go a little overkill on their suspension setups.

Ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

&lt;----went totally overkill on his suspension
Old 05-12-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (tonyXcom)

never said they were better than tein ra's or re's i say they are better than tein ss's for auto cross and road course. ss's are just that.. super street made for the street, not for the track.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (TURSpoonEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

&lt;----went totally overkill on his suspension</TD></TR></TABLE>
i like your suspension...
Old 05-12-2003, 06:17 PM
OG triple OG

i have the flex and they are very nice , although i like my car low and i dont like the gap i get when i jack the car up , my ra's were under tension which were alot better , is there a way to fix that?
Old 05-12-2003, 06:19 PM

so no more ra's? awe..
Old 05-12-2003, 06:23 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by vovinamer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">never said they were better than tein ra's or re's i say they are better than tein ss's for auto cross and road course. ss's are just that.. super street made for the street, not for the track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, where are you getting this information? Do you know someone that is consistant enough that has tried both on the same car under the same circumstances?

Also, the reason you see Koni/GC in most SCCA road racing classes is that full coilovers are not allowed.

I am not saying which is better or worse for whatever purpose, my point is that when you say something is better then the other, you should have some kind of facts or data to back that up.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:33 PM
Boba Connoisseur

Default Re: Suspension: TEINS and why?? (tonyXcom)

What the hell is the difference between a "full coilover" and a Koni/GC that would make it legal in SCCA IT racing? I'm confused.

Quick Reply: Suspension: TEINS and why??