Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suspension swap question.

Old 05-31-2007, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension swap question.

I have a 99 si that has chassy wear of about 120,000 miles. Both of my shocks in the rear are shot and the ones in the front werent any better, so I decided to swap for some kpro coilovers. They have full adjustable ride height as well as 36 way adjustable dampening, however, its crazy getting the old coil overs off.

The first problem i had was with the front to coilovers... The cast iron fork that the bottom of the shock attatches to is all rusted. I was able to break free the bottom bolt that held the fork to the control arm, but the threw bolt that tightens the fork neck around the shock etiher broke ( head broke off and the rest of the bolt remained stuck in ) or the head stripped. I was able to slip the driver side coil over out with the fork still attatched and i took the kpro coil over and used another fork off of another si to put it back on.

on the pasanger side, the bolt then stripped and appears to be fused in the threads because it is rusted. I had to use excessive amount of force on the breaker bar, but even that did not work and ended up stripping the bolt. The bolt has a 14 mm head on it. Because of this, I plan on doing the same process on the passenger side as the driver side to get the kpro coild over in.

As far as the rear goes, I have only started on one side and the bolt that connects the bottom of the shock to the control arm... that head popped off because it was rusty. It seems this is an apparent theme and I have tried using rust penetrant. Does any one have any ideas on a simpler way to do this? all the bolts seem to be breaking? please let me know
Old 05-31-2007, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: suspension swap question. (HCivicSi23)

pblaster, heat