Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suspension question for a wondering mind....

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question for a wondering mind....

as you can see, im a NUB to the posting.... so. I have a 2000 si its got full suspension, struts and coils, sway bars and strut bars..... i have a question about coilovers though... im not thinking of getting them or anything, but what makes struts and springs better than just coilovers, lots of my friends bash coilovers, but i never saw their reasoning, both methods seem to stiffen and lower the ride, so what makes coilovers so bad? or not bad?
Old 09-02-2005, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (jaydeeumms)

you obviously cant read.....its noob and its your avatar, not nub. and theyre just gay. coilovers own
Old 09-02-2005, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (93ejay1)

I perfer coil overs then springs because you could adjust your hight. **** everything thats adjustible is better then non adjustible. Your friends dont know ****.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:20 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (Luserkid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Your friends dont know ****. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 AM

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (Luserkid)

GET NEW FRIENDS!!!

find a strut/spring combo that beats a TEIN, <U>JIC</U>, BUDDY CLUB, or HKS. period.

end of subject!
Old 09-02-2005, 07:29 AM

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (JICEK9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GET NEW FRIENDS!!!

find a strut/spring combo that beats a TEIN, <U>JIC</U>, BUDDY CLUB, or HKS. period.

end of subject!</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want Ground Controls w/ Koni Yellows!

Springs give you a drop and stiff ride, but there is no adjustability. I think for street use one isn't any better than the other, but in something like oval track racing I'd rather have coilovers because I could give each corner of the car a different height to help me steer around the corners.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:35 AM

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (nota-eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nota-eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Springs give you a drop and stiff ride, but there is no adjustability. I think for street use one isn't any better than the other, but in something like oval track racing I'd rather have coilovers because I could give each corner of the car a different height to help me steer around the corners.</TD></TR></TABLE>

There is a hell of a lot more to coilovers then just hight ajustability. What about corner wieghting? Can you adjust spring load with springs? NO. I think it all depends on what kind of driving you do and how advanced your car and YOU are as a driver. Just because I'm on the street doen't mean I'm willing to give up a GREAT handling car. As far as streetability of coilovers, you do know you can get softer/stiffer springs depending on street or track use?

So stick with your GC's and Koni's and watch my tailights get smaller and smaller through the turns.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is a hell of a lot more to coilovers then just hight ajustability. What about corner wieghting? Can you adjust spring load with springs? NO. I think it all depends on what kind of driving you do and how advanced your car and YOU are as a driver. Just because I'm on the street doen't mean I'm willing to give up a GREAT handling car. As far as streetability of coilovers, you do know you can get softer/stiffer springs depending on street or track use?

So stick with your GC's and Koni's and watch my tailights get smaller and smaller through the turns. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just generalizing. I went to Old Dominion with my friend a few times and the stuff his dad would do to setup his car amazed me. Weights, counter-weights, blocks, adjusting ride height. Just crazy.

Yes, I know you can get soft/stiff springs depending on what you're doing with the car.

And yes, I know I'd probably see your tail-lights get smaller and smaller because I can't drive and my car is slow.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (93ejay1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93ejay1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you obviously cant read.....its noob and its your avatar, not nub. and theyre just gay. coilovers own</TD></TR></TABLE>
go to more than one internet site in your life... i cant beleive you've never seen noob spelled NUB... and pronounced NUB.... and thanks for being an *** hole.... wish i were cool like you...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:30 AM

if you get a full coilover then your springs and shocks will be matched up, so you dont need to do a lot of research in searching for the best combination.

regardless if you get a coilover combo, or spring combo, if you match up the shocks and springs right for your driving situation, you will have a good suspension.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (medside)

i've only ever heard of people saying that because a non-coilover spring can provide a softer spring rate for more comfortable ride. Since coilover springs are shorter in height, they have to be stiffer to keep from bottoming out. Its not a big deal if you want real 'performance' suspension, as you would need a stiff spring rate anyways.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uhh your friends are probably bashing coilover sleeves and not the true coilover system.. Cause if they are bashing that then they need to rethink the whole tunning thing. Since almost everything dealing with racing uses the full coilover system. Just tell them to go to the JGTC races and tell the crew that they are running the wrong suspension..hahaha..
Old 09-02-2005, 04:58 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JICEK9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GET NEW FRIENDS!!!

end of subject!</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is very true. I have JIC FLT-A2 coilovers on my EK and it handles really well. With these coilovers i have a wide range of adjustability. The main one i use is the adjustable damper (16 way). COILOVERS ARE GREAT!!
Old 09-02-2005, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for me its the same thing but most of my friends say that springs are better because there not as bouncy and they will always stay the same height but there are good coils out there so................there the same stuff
Old 09-02-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (ekdriver707)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ekdriver707 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for me its the same thing but most of my friends say that springs are better because there not as bouncy and they will always stay the same height but there are good coils out there so................there the same stuff</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can have bouncy springs just like you can have bouncy coilovers. The stiff/bouncy-ness of the ride depends on the spring rate. Get some 10K/12K coilovers and take your friends for a ride and ask them how bouncy it is.

I'm joking, get springs suited to your needs. If you need specific information as to what rates to get for your needs call the company personally, or call the store you plan on buying from.

Well, now you have been armed with some HT education, now go find your friends and make their heads explode with facts about the pros of coilovers.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why do people get confused over what springs and what coilovers are? Coilovers are adjustable mounts that the springs sit on. You don't compare a coilover to a spring, just like you don't compare a strut to a spring, or a swaybar to a strut bar. Coilovers can come with any springs that the company wants, any rates and lengths, and you could theoretically take normal lowering springs and put them on coilovers (the diameter of the spring would have to be the same as the diameter of the lower perch on the coilover).

Let's say you have two cars perfectly equal in all things except suspension. One has Ground Control coilovers (which feature Eibach springs), and Koni struts. The other has Eibach springs and Koni struts. Eibach offers custom spring rates, so if you wanted, you could have the same rates on both cars. Now take the car with the GCs, and adjust the ride height until it's the same as the car with static ride height. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE TWO CARS.

Everything that IhateJDM said was wrong. Sorry to single you out.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:16 PM

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (suspendedHatch)

^ Live and learn.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 PM

His friends are definitely bashing perch type coilovers not full setups.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension question for a wondering mind.... (Seanith)

Yeah they are definetly talking about coilover sleeves..not full and actually coilover suspension.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:30 PM

word... thanks for the help guys...