Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension question

Greetings:

I have a 95 Civic Ex that I am building. I'm noticeably new at this so I have been trying to research everything I do as I go.. Having said that, the first thing I feel I need to do now that the car is running properly is upgrade my suspension.

At the moment my suspension is horrible, it creaks like CRAZY, the shocks are basically non-existant, and it rolls sooo badly. With this in mind, I want to purchase a set of coilovers and a bushing kit to get me started.

I was thinking of using the omnipower full coilover street set (8k / 10k) but am unsure what to expect ride quality wise on a day to day basis. I'm wanting to build a peppy good looking daily driver out of this car so obviously I don't want something that is going to jar my teeth on every little bump.

Does anyone have any suggestions as what to choose or which way to go?

Best regards,

JD Smith
Old 03-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: suspension question (jdsmith2816)

i would suggest a spring/strut combo for a DD
such as NEUSPEED race or TEIN s tech springs on KYB agx struts

the ride will be smooth, handle great and wont jar your teeth everytime u hit a bump. .
Old 03-06-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: suspension question (BLUIZE256)

your going to want to get something with adjustable struts... it will make a huge difference in the way it rides
Old 03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: suspension question (jdsmith2816)

8K 10K is a little hard for my taste, but it shouldnt be too bad as long as your damper settings arent too hard. However, if you replace your bushings with polyurethane...expect it to be a pretty jarring. There's a good handling difference, though. I had energy suspension polyurethane on my EG daily...and i refused to do it when i got an EK lol. I liked the handling, but i didnt really like the ride.

I would suggest doing the following: Get softer springs. Buy some custom springs. You can get them from TEIN, SWIFT, SKUNK2 or whatever. I used 6k, 7K on my Ek DD and it was awesome. If you want to get rid of body roll without using too stiff of a spring, use swaybars. Some GS-R or EG si/ex or EK ex sized swaybars would be great for a good mannered daily civic. I used tokico blues on my car and i loved them. I had the same set on my EG and then switched them over to my EK when i got it. Everyone seems to hate on em...but i remember consistenly handling better than my friend's EK with full coilovers. He had some brand that started with a D. Cant remember the brand.

Using springs to get rid of body roll can cause a shitty ride for no reason. Plus too hard of a spring will deteriorate handling. 8k, 10k is on the border of what i'd call "somewhat reasonable".

Here's some pics of my Ek to show you how low it sat. It rode pretty well...pretty close to stock, but handled like a beast. I beat out a lot of faster cars with this thing. I sold it, though . But then I got a GSR and an S2000

Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension question (longblocklausch)

one of my homies had thoe Omni coilovers on his DA and they ended up ******* up quick...im ridding on F2 (Function Form) coilovers and i think its a good suspension...
Old 03-06-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: suspension question (longblocklausch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by longblocklausch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your going to want to get something with adjustable struts... it will make a huge difference in the way it rides </TD></TR></TABLE>

thats why i suggested the KYB agx