Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2002, 05:19 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problems

I installed my new GC/KYB set up and I知 now trying to adjust the rear end and my rear passenger side does not go as low as the driver side. I知 talking about the collar is all the way down as far as it will go and it wont go any lower. I thought it was maybe caused by the ITR sway bar but I undid it and still no dice. I checked for any obstacles in the travel of the suspension components but it all looked god. I even checked the spring length, rates it痴 all matched. Has anyone had this problem before? What did you go to resolve it? I知 about to give up and just raise the driver side. But that痴 just going to suck.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:23 AM

Default Re: Suspension problems (pucho)

Make sure the top shock mount on the high side is seated and torqued properly. It may be "hanging" slightly down. This may be the problem. Also, make sure the shock has free travel. My suspension is so tight because of sway bars and extra bars that sometimes the shocks "bind" in one position when they're new. This also could be your problem. Make sure that side has some return travel.

Shawn
Old 09-23-2002, 05:31 AM
New User

Default Re: Suspension problems (shawnhayes)

I very carefully torqued everything to spec, and even took the car for a ride to make sure everything got seated properly. I was analy retentive about putting this thing together. Ill have to take it all apart to see what gives.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:47 AM

If it's off about 1/2" or so it may just be caused by the car being heavier on the driver side. I know that my cx has always leaned to the driver's side due to the fact that the car weighs more on the driver's side(stock springs and pro-kit). Now that I got my GC/KYB setup I have the driver side collar about 1 1/2 turns higher than my pass. just to get ride height the same on both sides (measuring from the ground to the fender). I hope this helps.

G
Old 09-23-2002, 06:26 AM
New User

Default Re: Suspension problems (g_man80)

I just swaped the shoks fron side to side and nothing. I'm not trying to slam it just get it low enogth for my taste. this sux.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:38 AM
New User

Old 09-23-2002, 11:56 AM

just curious how hard was the install, I'm going to attempt the same thing.

did you have any previous experience? just wondering
Old 09-23-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Suspension problems (Mrfirefox)

Loosen all the bolts where the suspension moves and there are rubber bushings. Get the car at the height you desire, and then torque all the bolts down while at that hight.

Chances are all of your bushings are preloaded to what your car is stock height. when you lower your car, you are twisting those bushings away from where they are at rest, which is stock height.

Try that, it may make a difference. And this is a good practice over all.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:35 PM
New User

Default Re: Suspension problems (Mrfirefox)

I had changed the springs before that's about all the experience I had. I would recomend that you get the Helm manual and A good set of tools including sokets up to at least 17mm, some open ended whrences also, a long breaker bar and a torque wrench.

I had lossend everithing anyways because for the sway bar install you have to take the LCA off to drill the new hole for the beeks kit. I made sure I compresed the suspention before tightening all bolts and nuts. And yes I did torque them to spec.

I finally go it closed Left to right but it's a big diffrence (adjustment) from one side to the other. Ill give it a few days and look at it after it settles.

Thanks for the sugestions.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Suspension problems (g_man80)

whoa...so is the driver's side being lower normal for regular lowering springs?? cuz i have a vx with prokits and kyb GR2 shocks, and i've noticed it sags lower on the drivers side,but only in my garage and on the side of the road where its a little uneven..i thought that cuz the ground wasn't even that that was the problem, but i guess not?
Old 09-23-2002, 05:20 PM
New User

Default Re: Suspension problems (RichardKim57)

When I had the neuspeed sport springs the driver side was also lower to the point it was noticeble.
Old 09-23-2002, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Suspension problems (RichardKim57)

There was a thread similar to this one a couple days back and someone referred to it as the 'honda' lean because of the uneven weight distribution. I first thought that it was my stock springs and then I still noticed it when I put on my prokit. I've talked to many people who have had the same problem with there prokits. I went ahead and bought a GC kit so I could compensate for the lean if it was still present.

I've never been on corner weighing scales, but if you look at the engine you can see the weight distribution. Even the pumps are all on the driver's side, let alone the driver.

G (who's happy honda atleast put the battery on the pass side starting '92)