Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suspension problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default suspension problem?

ok i have a eg hatch and the noise that i get on the right side is killing me already i have replaced almost everything and it still does not go away. ok i know that is will be hard for you guys to help seeing that you would not be able to hear the noise that it makes.so i will try to discribe it. so everytime that i hit a speed bump or a dip on the right side i hear a clunk noise like if my mounts are not on tight or i have a blown strut . i already have replaced the struts and strut mount bushings and springs and still i get the same clunk noise. i checked my engine mounts and my trans mounts and nothing it fine it has no play. i replaced my lower control arm bushing and with energy suspension bushing and still the same noise i get. i just can figure it out any more i have replace almost everything and still i get the clunk noise like if i have a broken sturt. also when i jiggle my steering wheel from left to right very click i hear a clunk noise, my friend said that maybe my rack is done. what i want to know is what is in the rack that can make my front end make a clunk noise when i jiggle the steering wheel. please anyone help about to shoot my self with this problem that i can not solve
Old 07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: suspension problem? (hondaon18's)

Have you checked the upper and lower ball joints, and inner and outer tie rods for play?
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension problem? (instructor74)

im sorry i forgot to mention i changed the upper control arm for skunk 2 ones and also the lower ones i replaced also . my inner and outer tie rods are fine no play. i totally forgot about does parts that i replaced. that was my first parts that i thought where making the noies but nope it still there eating at me day by day.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You check your exhaust? It might not be your suspension, you said when you go over speed bumps it makes a noise, one of the hangers could have come loose? I don't know just a suggestion.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension problem? (96civic_hb)

yeah checked that too the only thing that is loose is in the back and that noise is way different then the noise i hear in the front right side. way different i feel like im riding on broken springs. it sounds like when you take the cushion off the mount and leave it off and put the spring back with out the cushion. sound just like that metal on metal. but everything is there and in place. i hate it cause that is the only thing that i can not figure out and its just eating at me. i feel useless that i cant figure out this problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check everything, on my wife's old car it was doing something similar, everytime she would go over a speed bump in her 92 hatch it would make a clank..it ended up being her caliper on the driver's side...
Old 07-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

naw i aint that my calipers are on tight aint the caliper bracket either. man does are all good suggestions and i thank everyone for helping me out but its got to be something that i aint seeing. i even thought that my rack and pinion brackets were the problem but does aint even bad they have no play at all.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man! Now I see why you're wanting to shoot yourself. But don't do it.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you see what i mean but i have to figure out what is cause it driving me crazy.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:37 AM

this may sound crazy and probably is being that I'm sort of new to the import scene always been a gm guy. anyway I'm not totally familiar with the hatch but check the spare tire compartment also if there are interior panels at the rear take them out and see if somethng is loose behind them. last but not least if you haven't already grease every fitting on the car lca's any suspension parts chasis etc.... you get the point godspeed hope that helps uf not sorry just an idea good luck<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaon18’s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you see what i mean but i have to figure out what is cause it driving me crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondaon18’s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you see what i mean but i have to figure out what is cause it driving me crazy.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Have another thought for you. Does the car pull under heavy acceleration then drift back when you lift? May or may not cause a clunking noise. Check your front lca at the chassy pick up point look for a worn or collaped bushing there. I chased this one on my car for quite sometime
Old 07-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: suspension problem? (instructor74)

YEAH I CHECKED THAT ALL THAT OUT ALREADY. I DON'T HAVE A SPARE TIRE IN MY HATCH SO ITS NOT THAT. ALSO I REPLACED THAT BUSHING ALSO WHEN I BOUGHT THE ENERGY SUSPENSION KIT. IT COMES FROM THE RIGHT SIDE AND IT MAKES IT SOUND REAL NASTY. SO ALL THAT I CAN THINK OF IS MY RACK AND PINION FROM THE INSIDE IS MESSED UP. SO WHAT IS IN THE RACK THAT CAN MAKE A LOUD CLUNK NOISE. LIKE METAL ON METAL. ALSO CHECKED MY REAR ENGINE MOUNT AND THAT IS NOT BAD EITHER. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS
Old 07-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i figured it out is my rack and pinion. the rod on the right side has alot of play the bushing that holds the rod for the inner tie rod moves alot. so every time that i would hit a bump the entire rod would hit the metal rack and pinion case. so now i need to replace the rack. so my question is will a ek hatch back rack and pinion fit into a eg hatch. also the ek has power steering and the eg does not. so can i still make it work.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:21 PM

Also try checking/replacing the following:

Steering rack bushings
Shock absorbers bumpstops
Stabilizer links

These'll solve your problem