Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension problem

Okay I just got some coilovers and struts for my eg. The bottom bolt that holds the coilover and strut in place in the back of the car is stuck. We can get the bolt to spin but it will not break out of the bearing. What should I do.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Suspension problem (Wlkrlfrd)

anyone
Old 12-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, you saw it out. The other day a friend and I had a similar problem. I "sawzall"ed (tm) the bushings off and put in new arms.

You can disconnect the shock at the top and the control arms on both ends and pull the whole thing out as a unit so, you can work on it on a bench.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

try torching it?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 AM

Default Re: (ek gripper)

Will a lighter get it hot enough to break the rust.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:02 AM

Default Re: (Wlkrlfrd)

No a lighter would not work use a torch or try some WD40 if you haven't already.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wlkrlfrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will a lighter get it hot enough to break the rust.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MurdersV8s &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No a lighter would not work use a torch or try some WD40 if you haven't already.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wlkrlfrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okay I just got some coilovers and struts for my eg. The bottom bolt that holds the coilover and strut in place in the back of the car is stuck. We can get the bolt to spin but it will not break out of the bearing. What should I do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

rust? it can't be rusty if you said you can spin it. if it is spinning but not coming out then it sounds like it's stripped.

please, describe exactly where you are trying to remove this bolt from, because i don't know of any bearings where the struts and springs are.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:19 AM

Default Re: Suspension problem (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

rust? it can't be rusty if you said you can spin it. if it is spinning but not coming out then it sounds like it's stripped.

please, describe exactly where you are trying to remove this bolt from, because i don't know of any bearings where the struts and springs are.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I didn't mean bearing I meant bushing sorry about that. I think the bolt is rusted inside the bushing because you can turn the bolt but when you turn it the bushing turns with it to. The bolt is not threaded in the the other side of the strut it came out of that side but the bolt is still stuck in the bushing. I hope this made sense.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

torch the bushing out

edit: have water handy because the bushing will catch fire
Old 12-12-2006, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wlkrlfrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I didn't mean bearing I meant bushing sorry about that. I think the bolt is rusted inside the bushing because you can turn the bolt but when you turn it the bushing turns with it to. The bolt is not threaded in the the other side of the strut it came out of that side but the bolt is still stuck in the bushing. I hope this made sense.</TD></TR></TABLE>

unless you bushing is broken (which in that case i recommend repairing it right after your done w/the springs), it will not move.

now, i want you to help me help you.
which side are you talking about, the front or the rear.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:34 AM

Default Re: Suspension problem (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

unless you bushing is broken (which in that case i recommend repairing it right after your done w/the springs), it will not move.

now, i want you to help me help you.
which side are you talking about, the front or the rear.</TD></TR></TABLE>I am talking about the rear. That one bolt on the bottom that holds the strut. The bolt comes out but the bushing is stuck on the bolt. When I try and pull the bolt out the bushing comes out to. Same thing when you spin the bolt the bushing spins to.

Also I tried to take the bolt out with a impact gun and thats when all of the trouble started. The impact gun broke the bolt and the bushing as a whole. The bolt came out of the threads but since it is still stuck in the bushing it just bent the other side of the strut upwards.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wlkrlfrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am talking about the rear. That one bolt on the bottom that holds the strut. The bolt comes out but the bushing is stuck on the bolt. When I try and pull the bolt out the bushing comes out to. Same thing when you spin the bolt the bushing spins with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bushing spins with it? that's weird. you see even if your bushing is broken it metal on this inside, you know where the bolt goes through, so i don't understand how it is gripping to the bolt. now, unlike the front struts, the rear strut has a welded nut on the other side of the bolt (that's if these are still oem struts), are you sure that's what is broken and spinning.

best case scenerio is to remove the whole LCA with the strut still attached. when this is done, find a way to cut the bolt free from the LCA and remove the strut.

heating it to free from rust will not work since it's alrerady free from rust because you can spin it.

cutting, heating, or just removing the bushing will not work either because the sturt is covering it and need to be removed first.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wlkrlfrd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Also I tried to take the bolt out with a impact gun and thats when all of the trouble started. The impact gun broke the bolt and the bushing as a whole. The bolt came out of the threads but since it is still stuck in the bushing it just bent the other side of the strut upwards. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you should of said this before i posted, damn edit button.

if that is the case then you're going to want to do the following:

best case scenerio is to remove the whole LCA with the strut still attached. when this is done, find a way to cut the bolt free from the LCA and remove the strut.

heating it to free from rust will not work since it's alrerady free from rust because you can spin it.

cutting, heating, or just removing the bushing will not work either because the sturt is covering it and need to be removed first.</TD></TR></TABLE>