Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SUSPENSION PROBLEM....

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SUSPENSION PROBLEM....

i had an alignment done at SEARS a few days ago....i thought it would take care of the jerking in steering wheel at high speeds and during breaking as well as the cranking noise i get from the front suspension during cornering at any speeds...but it HASNT...the cranking noise is not as loud now tho...but the steering wheel still jerks alot. what could the problem be? i thought it was because my alignment was past due. Could it be that my bushings r bad? or cv joint or boot is torn or something? help!
96 ek tokico shocks and springs, thats it for suspension mods.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (akteamster)

wheel bearing is a maybe.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump....what else...ill look into wheel bearing
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akteamster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had an alignment done at SEARS a few days ago....i thought it would take care of the jerking in steering wheel at high speeds and during breaking as well as the cranking noise i get from the front suspension during cornering at any speeds...but it HASNT...the cranking noise is not as loud now tho...but the steering wheel still jerks alot. what could the problem be? i thought it was because my alignment was past due. Could it be that my bushings r bad? or cv joint or boot is torn or something? help!
96 ek tokico shocks and springs, thats it for suspension mods.</TD></TR></TABLE>

My car jerked at high speeds, and i got a cranking noise when i turned....It was my axles
Old 02-15-2005, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

does it only pull to one side?

could be hung up brake caliper
Old 02-15-2005, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (sidesi)

check your steering pinions
Old 02-15-2005, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (Jon V)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jon V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your steering pinions</TD></TR></TABLE>
If it's making a cranking noise when you turn check out the pinions.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wheel bearing is a maybe. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Wheel bearing would be more of a constant whirring noise, and in that case I would tell you to check your dust shields behind the rotor. Those get pressed against the rotor every now and then and make a real obnoxious noise.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akteamster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boot is torn or something</TD></TR></TABLE>

ding ding ding. That is VERY likely. Those are the very same symptoms that my car was showing. It seems that "speediboots" don't hold up more than 20,000 miles, opposed to Honda boots holding up to 160,000 (on mine atleast). The speediboot wraps around and bolts together after filling it with grease. That is where they tear it seems. I just bought new axles in order to get to work on time and avoid buying honda boots new and installing them. I may be wrong here, but it sounds VERY similar.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...anyone else..
Old 02-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i got rid of the clicking noise....it turned out to b my axle just like someone mentioned...but now i still get some vibrating and jerking in the steering wheel at high speeds, 60 plus and at 75 mph its the worst for some reason. it's not as bad as before but it is still there and it bothers me, now what could it be? rack n pinion? no p/s by the way.

any input would be appreciated thanks
Old 02-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-23-2005, 01:13 PM

tires worn out?
Old 02-23-2005, 01:17 PM

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (vi3t_dude)

Tires out of balance?

Bent rims?

Go and do some tire balancing and in the same time they will check the rims...
Old 02-23-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (KKVTi)

nah no bent rims.........im on steelies for the winter.....cant be a bent steelie...impossible....tires are fairly new 60% thread. its driving me crazy now
Old 02-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have there ever been any E brakes on the tires. I bought a used set of tires that had some small flat spots that I didnt notice at first. They shook pritty bad at some speeds.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (NitrousB.I.G.)

i really dont think its my tires....im thinking its my rack n pinion? what else could it be? alignment is good. axles are good. that leaves pinion? or possibly my control arm bushings?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
As long as I dont have to take out any more Metal Gears

ball joints. There was another thread a while back with a guy that had the same problem. I symptom of bad ball joints is a constant jerking of the steering wheel. Wish i could search for that thread for u, maybe later
Old 02-24-2005, 01:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by akteamster &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had an alignment done at SEARS a few days ago....i thought it would take care of the jerking in steering wheel at high speeds </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well the first mistake was taking it to sears. They're not even allowed to work on fixed up car. I tried taking my car there and they told me they couldnt do alignment for my car.
maybe the surface of the brake rotor is not even and vibrates when you turn.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (hatchtwIIn)

drive axles most likely. boot may not be torn, but the cv joint may be worn and you get the whobble.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (pancake56)

believe it or not the Sears i took it to was very helpful. customer service was excellent, very helpful and the mechanic was very helpful too.
and my car is pretty stock except for a moderate drop on tokico springs and tokico shocks, so that is why i figured taking it to sears wouldnt be a problem. i already got an aligment from them and i got the warranty for it also regardless of my car being dropped a bit.

my cv joint was bad so it was replaced.....that got rid of the clicking noise i heard on turns
but not i still have the jerky steering wheel....im about to take it back and tell them the problem isnt completely fixed.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:49 PM

jerky steering wheel is probably from alignment
Old 02-26-2005, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (civictildeath)

nope alingment was done also
Old 02-26-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you get print outs of your alignment? Shops usually do that...you should take pics of it and post. Just to make sure your car is really aligned.

As for the jerking in the wheel, it's gotta be a bushing, rod, or ball joint. Rack and pinon is likely too, but they rarely go bad on Hondas.

Raise the car up, secure it on stands. Grab the tire. Shake it side to side...there should be NO play at all...if there is...grab the outer tie rod and shake again to feel the play and where it's coming from. Do this to both sides. Then up and down...if there's play...look at the upper ball joint and see if it's shaking or moving. Again, this shouldn't have ANY play...replace as necessary.

For lower ball joints, raise it so it's a little bit off the ground (2-5 inches) and take a breaker bar and wedge it in between the control arm and hub. Rock it up and down...look for play. Repeat on other side. Again, replace if there's play.

Now what doesn't make sense...why would Sears align your car if you have bad front end parts to begin with?! Ask them and see if they checked ur front end first.

NOTE: If there is play moving it from side to side and up and down, but the tie rod and ball joints not moving, you may have a bad wheel bearing.

Check brakes too while the cars in the air....look for unually pad wear or messed up rotors.

Hope this helps
Old 02-26-2005, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM.... (civicboisi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NOTE: If there is play moving it from side to side and up and down, but the tie rod and ball joints not moving, you may have a bad wheel bearing.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I ASKED MYSELF THAT TOOO.....PROBABLY BECAUSE I TOOK THE CAR IN FOR AN ALIGNMENT AT 7PM ON A THURSDAY NIGHT AND THEY CLOSE AT 9PM. THE MECHANIC THAT WORKED ON MY CAR JUST HALF ASSED THE JOB TO GET OUT QUICK. I KNOW HE DIDNT CHECK THE FRONT END PROPERLY AND THOROLY. AND DID A SHITTY ALIGNMENT JOB.

THEN A FEW DAYS LATER WHEN I TOOK IT BACK BECAUSE I STILL FELT THE JERKING IN THE STEERING WHEEL, A DIFFERENT GUY LOOKED AT IT, AND HE FOUND THAT MY CV JOINT WAS BAD. SO THAT PROVES THE OTHER LAZY MECHANIC DIDNT DO **** TO MY CAR. HOW COULD U MISS SUCH A PROBLEM? OBVIOUSLY BECAUSE U WERENT LOOKING AT ALL.

I GUESS THE 2ND MECHANIC THAT REPLACED MY CV JOINT MUSTA MISSed something else becuase the problem isnt completely solved yet.

im going to do all the things u recommended...ill keep u posted on the situation

sorry for the caps....completely forgot. dont flame or ban me please!
Old 02-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha im having the same problem so im changing the steer rack n pinion n the whole front disc brake it self to be shure

Quick Reply: SUSPENSION PROBLEM....