Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suspension help, buddy club coil overs

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension help, buddy club coil overs

ok here's my problem, i got my car with the buddy club racing spec dampers already installed, so i had no experience setting the preload on them. i dont have the directions that came with them. i cant get any help with them from the buddy club people, and the suspension forum hasnt been any help.

this is like my fourth topic on this subject. i need some help.

basically i dont like the way they ride, and i have suspicion, they arent set up correctly. the reason i say this is that even when i lower them all the way its only like a inch drop. i think i might even have integra dampers in stead of civic ones.

some one help me please im at the point i would like to trade them for lowering springs and shocks.

anyone near north jersey that can help me, shoot me a pm.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:20 PM

bump for help
Old 03-27-2006, 02:32 PM

just gonna keep bumping
Old 03-27-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Re: (erasable180)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by erasable180 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just gonna keep bumping </TD></TR></TABLE>

Lowered all the way and only getting a 1" drop, odd. When I lowered my RSD all the way I got about a 2" drop. I then removed the BC pillow-ball mounts as they were noisy and I can drop the car another 1.5" if I choose.

I'm lowered about 2 1/4" on my RSD.

For ride height, you can only adjust the bottom collar and you should have some spring preload (I did about an inch) and that distance is all you get. Should be atleast 2" or damn close to it. Not 1"

If you've done that, and Buddy Club was no help...go to a garage or someplace dealing with aftermarket suspension, like a decent performance place. Adjusting coilovers isn't rocket science, but if yours are working right there may be a problem with the coilover your not aware of.

Post pics if you can, that may help.

Standard rates are 10K front. 7K rear. You don't like how they ride? how so. They ride stiff, quite stiff considering the valving on the shocks is wide range. You've tried softening the shocks up right?
Old 03-27-2006, 06:54 PM

well first off id like to thank you for being the first to respond to this, now my forth post on this subject.

i thought these coilovers were adjusted by spinning the lower fork that connects the lca?

im thinking of taking these out taking them apart and reinstalling them. but without the directions, i would be wondering if i was doing correctly.

also i have them on the softest setting and they are still ridiculously stiff.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 PM

Default Re: (erasable180)

There is 3 collars. 1 goes to tighten against the bottom fork that attaches to the car. 1 tightens against the spring and the last one is used to adjust the spring tighter or loosened. Add about 1" spring pre-load (any less and it may be noisy), then use the 2nd collar to tighten up against the spring perch so it cannot move. Now you should have about 1" of shock body, you can then move the 1st collar up and spin the bottom fork tight to it.

I used a hammer to get the collars alittle tighter then by hand.

Thats it as far as adjusting the actual coilover. Oh, make sure the top nut is tight too.

Basically collar 1 is so the bottom fork does not spin loose. collar 2 is so the spring perch does not move up or down and collar 3 is only used to adjust the spring up or down (spring pre-load).
Old 03-27-2006, 07:09 PM

thanks i'll try messing with them again. it just sucks to have a coilovers like them, and not be able to get it the way i like.