Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension for Ej8

Old 12-30-2006, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension for Ej8

Alright Guys, last night me and my homies went to the canon for a drive. So we did a couple of runs to test our cars and soon as i saw the first corner i felt a little understeer and felt the car had no traction. Then we drove for 2 miles or so and a S-turn was ahead,I shifted to 3rd gear to bring the car down to speed and while i was turning I felt that my rear right wheel was lifted and I lost control. After the S turn I stopped pushing my car, because I had a feeling of I will mess up if I would kept on pushing.

So my quesiton is.. anyone else do canon running with a good suspension or idea of one that they would like to share? or any custom setups that fit this purpose? thanks guys!

ps. i was looking into these https://honda-tech.com/zeropost?cmd=fshow&id=1

any help is appreciated. and my budget would be 600-800
drive safely!!

-beee
Old 12-30-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension for Ej8 (beebeecivic)

gor that amount you could get some omni coilovers, and then you could get a Si rear swaybar setup for around $50, a GSR front strut bar for around $30. You could probably notice some improvement from the Si and GSR parts. When I put on my Si rear swaybar on my ej8 it was a great improvement.

http://passwordjdm.com/product...D=277

check it out these puppies are $700
Old 12-30-2006, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension for Ej8 (turnsignalandy)

You should probably put on your flame suit. Alot of people around here don't really take kindly to people "canyon carving" or "touge running".

I'd recommend a decent coilover setup with some good springrates, and some swaybars like this guy above me said.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol ! ::wears flame suit::: ah feels good. It wasnt really a race jus a drive.. But even at low speeds it was like wtf... I heard great things about the ksports for the money, thats why I wanted to see what you guys think. What omni coilovers do you think I should get? thanks!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beebeecivic)

What tires are you running right now?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Some shatty ones... Im switching them out soon..maybe falkens or kumhos. I know for one thing, the suspension is the problem because the way the car passed the corner, it felt like there was no control at all. Even if the tires had grip I would not matter on the corner I took because the tires werent even touching the ground. I dont know if my shocks are blown or not, if they are im going for the coilovers.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, are you on your factory suspension?
Old 12-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (haveaniceday)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by haveaniceday &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So, are you on your factory suspension?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes I am sir.
Old 12-30-2006, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definately go with a full coilover, with adjustable dampening and higher springrates, also a rear sway makes a huge difference

you can get buddy club N+ coilovers here for a great price, and they are ride height adjustable, preload adjustable, 15 way dampening adjustment
http://www.springrates.com/pro...d=579

i have the buddy club racing spec dampers (a step up from the N+) and I'm very impressed with the handling and performance of it
Old 12-30-2006, 08:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2coupes)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2coupes &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">definately go with a full coilover, with adjustable dampening and higher springrates, also a rear sway makes a huge difference

you can get buddy club N+ coilovers here for a great price, and they are ride height adjustable, preload adjustable, 15 way dampening adjustment
http://www.springrates.com/pro...d=579

i have the buddy club racing spec dampers (a step up from the N+) and I'm very impressed with the handling and performance of it</TD></TR></TABLE>

O Wow. Those look amazing, Ill do my research on those and reconsider. But the kits you guys reccommended all are great choices. Do you guys think they will ride good for daily driver?
Old 12-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably not so good for daily driving. My suggestion is to do one upgrade at a time so you relize what each one does and how it does it. Find yourself a EM1 rear swaybar and endlinks and put it on. It should be like $50 and you should notice some iprovement. You can also get a EM1 or GSR front strut bar for under $20 and it should also improve your handling. After that i would say gor for some coilovers, or in my opinion just get some nice struts like some koni yellows. The konis will be around $500, and they are just the struts, so it wont lower your car, but they are externally adjustable and pretty much the best shocks you can get.
Old 12-31-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension for Ej8 (beebeecivic)

If you like canyon running, and if those roads are somewhat bumpy, then just doing dampers would be the best bet. The stiffer spring rates in a coilover setup would unsettle the car too much in corners.

The Koni yellow dampers that someone mentioned are excellent. I have them and am very satisfied (I also have stock springs). If you are concerned about the daily drivablity, they are externally adjustable as mentioned, and on the softest setting, they feel like stock. While on the stiffest setting, the ride is VERY noticable.

I wouldn't recommend forking out a ton of money for the coilovers, because if you are losing control, the stiff ride will make it ever harder to control. 1) because of the unsettled ride and 2) because the car will tend to slide more as the weight distribution of the car is more evenly distributed over all four tires. This will give the outside tires LESS grip as less of the cars weight is on the most heavily loaded tires. With body roll, more traction is present on the outside tires where it's needed.

I would recommend tires first before anything. Tires make THE biggest difference on the cars handling (well, the fastest way to make your car faster). I have Falken Azenis RT-615s (195/60R14) on my car and the traction is phenonmenal. They are great tires with a very predectable limit. So you can see my car is pretty stock. Don't underestimate stock ever. And dude, go to the track to TEST out your car, as you will be provided with rock solid time slips (autox) and can determine which alterations are working. The roads wont ever make you faster as you won't know what is working and what isn't if you can't drive to the limit. (unless you are somewhat crazed). But the roads are a simple pleasure; I enjoy them, but its not like racing.