Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension bushing questions

Old 03-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension bushing questions

95 Civic EX coupe.
I need to replace pretty much every bushing on all 4 lower arms of the car. I have two questions: 1. do I need to get the front lower arm bushing clamps (the ones at the very rear of the arm)? They seem like they have no play in them at all but might I as well since I'm going to have the arms off anyways? and 2. Is this something that I'm going to be able to handle doing myself? I'm having a hard time justifying having a shop do it because it would be super expensive and I've yet to hire out a job besides alignment. I usually do it myself so that I have only myself to blame when it goes wrong. Have any advice for me?
Thanks friends.
Old 03-09-2019, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension bushing questions

Yes I would replace the rear bushings on the front arms as well. Its not a bad job. Most of the times you can buy a whole new lower control arm with new bushings for about the same price, or not much more than just buying the bushings. That way you dont have to bother with pressing them out and the new ones in. As far as the rear goes, same deal, you can get new arms with bushings pretty cheap. The only part that may give any trouble is if you replace the big rear trailing arm bushings. But again, not a bad job. They make a tool to do it with but its like $135 bucks. When I changed mine, I was replaced all the rear arms at the same time, so I just pulled the whole trailing arm off, tapped the big trailing arm bushing out with a sledge hammer and installed the new ones without having to buy the tool.
Old 03-09-2019, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can burn or drill out the old rubber and then carefully hacksaw out the metals bits.
i went with the energy suspension bushings which press in easily by hand:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Susp...oAAOSwjvJZTByD

and bilstein shock bushings which needed the big c-clamp and adapter kit free rental from oreilly or similar to press them in . you'll need some pipe to use as a breaker bar on the c-clamp to make life easier.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Luckily I've already done the trailing arm bushings. I rented the tool and it wasn't so bad. I've bought the bushings from rock auto, and they were an average of $8-$12 each, so a lot cheaper than pretty much anywhere else I looked. Much cheaper than buying new arms.
Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tamboo View Post
you can burn or drill out the old rubber and then carefully hacksaw out the metals bits.
i went with the energy suspension bushings which press in easily by hand:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Energy-Susp...oAAOSwjvJZTByD

and bilstein shock bushings which needed the big c-clamp and adapter kit free rental from oreilly or similar to press them in . you'll need some pipe to use as a breaker bar on the c-clamp to make life easier.
I've got an impact gun for the c-clamp that I'm hoping should make short work of pressing the bushings in and out. I might "rent" that $100 tool from Harbor Freight, or who knows, maybe I'll just keep it if it's high quality enough. Usually when I rent tools from autozone or oreilly's there's some fitting or adapter missing somewhere and it kinda sucks.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:27 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you live in a rust-prone area you may find that you will spend a lot of time on bolts that are seized. Suspension bolts are notorious for this problem.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got hardrace rear trailing arm bushings brand new. $50 shipped
Old 03-13-2019, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jon Petersen View Post
I've got an impact gun for the c-clamp that I'm hoping should make short work of pressing the bushings in and out. I might "rent" that $100 tool from Harbor Freight, or who knows, maybe I'll just keep it if it's high quality enough. Usually when I rent tools from autozone or oreilly's there's some fitting or adapter missing somewhere and it kinda sucks.
the master ball joint c-clamp press kit from auto zone had the perfect size cups for pressing in/out the flca bushings, i did it a few months ago and literally took me 20 minutes to do all four bushings, just needed a good breaker bar.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BiggieBert View Post

the master ball joint c-clamp press kit from auto zone had the perfect size cups for pressing in/out the flca bushings, i did it a few months ago and literally took me 20 minutes to do all four bushings, just needed a good breaker bar.
Thanks man. Do you know whether it has the right adapters to do the lower ball joints up front too?
Old 03-22-2019, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Jon Petersen View Post
Thanks man. Do you know whether it has the right adapters to do the lower ball joints up front too?
i believe it does, there use to be a honda/acura ball joint suplemental kit but I think this master kit combined everything into one single kit.
Old 03-31-2019, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm having a little trouble pressing out the middle bushing on the rear lower arm. What size socket did you guys use to get it out? The kit doesn't come with the right size adapters. Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong. I've had to use sockets for every bushing I've pressed out so far.