Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

!!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts

Old 04-07-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever ridden on Ground Controls and stock struts

I've had a set of GC coilovers in the room for a year, Ive been waiting on the money for AGXs, but really want to lower my car. How does it feel on stock struts? Should I just keep riding high? any advice is welcome.

[Modified by Touch, 2:26 AM 4/8/2003]
Old 04-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (Touch)

It sucks, the crappiest ride I've ever been on. Rode like that for nearly 2yrs
Old 04-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (Touch)

i had mine on stocks for a while, its rides just fine
Old 04-07-2003, 09:52 PM
TheAutoboxer

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (meccA's eg6)

i have my on stock struts, and i've complety busted 1 strut, the rod went threw the strut mount, and into the hood. Wait to you buy agx's.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (menkio)

i did and it sucks you feel every bump on the road and it just keeps bouncing. i wouldn't do it if i were u. save up for shocks.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (careawholelot)

I was gonna do it myself and not lower it more than 1.7. Is it really bouncey because I don't wanna ride around campus going over speed bumps looking like a bobble-head.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (careawholelot)

I would say wait and get everything then install. But when I had Coilovers with stock struts it rode fine.

Might make a difference how good your stock struts are to begin with.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (RangerDan)

I say just put it on. Why let it sit for more than a year. If you know your gonna buy the agx in a month then I would wait. As long as they are not crazy stiff rates it will ride fine.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:02 PM

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (RangerDan)

BTW If you are having a shop do the install go ahead and install them. Then when you get your agx's do the strut swap yourself.

Its way easier to put struts on after you get coilovers put on cuase you dont need to compress the strut.
Old 04-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (locass316)

NEXT QUESTION I hear the bolt that goes through the rear LCA breaks, so should I at least wait until I get that?
Old 04-07-2003, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (CXHatchback)

It sucks, the crappiest ride I've ever been on. Rode like that for nearly 2yrs
What do you ride now?
Old 04-08-2003, 01:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

heres a pic custom ground controls on stock shocks....lowered about 3.6 all around give or take a lil...rides ok to me...i drive like this everyday...

Old 04-08-2003, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What do you ride now?
I had Tein HAs, then went to AGX/GC, then went back to stock, then wrecked my car, lol.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:38 AM

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (locass316)

might as well just wait . . . the coilovers has been sitting there for a while might as well wait a little longer for new struts
Old 04-08-2003, 05:48 AM

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever ridden on Ground Controls and stock struts (Touch)

I've had a set of GC coilovers in the room for a year, Ive been waiting on the money for AGXs, but really want to lower my car. How does it feel on stock struts? Should I just keep riding high? any advice is welcome.
do you all think i would have a problem if i lowered with groundcontrol only about an inch.. would the stock shocks be able to handle that?
Old 04-08-2003, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever ridden on Ground Controls and stock struts (Touch)

it rides ok not the greatest
Old 04-08-2003, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever ridden on Ground Controls and stock struts (Synthesis)

do you all think i would have a problem if i lowered with groundcontrol only about an inch.. would the stock shocks be able to handle that?[/QUOTE]

no u shouldn't have a problem you will be fine with an drop like that
Old 04-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Boba Connoisseur

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Integra rate OTS Ground Controls on ITR shocks for over a year and they have not blown out and I do not suffer from bounciness. I'm also not slammed, which is fairly helpful.

Then again, 00 ITR shocks may be in better condition than your old and less stiffly valved Civic shocks. *shrug*

Oh and by the way, don't lower your car like the guy in the white hatch, it will ride like total crap and blow out your shocks with the quickness. Lowering for looks is fun and all but don't waste a bunch of money on good suspension when there is no way to make a "3.6 inch" lowered car handle well short of shortened shocks and extremely stiff springs.

[Modified by SkyeC, 9:41 AM 4/8/2003]
Old 04-08-2003, 08:44 AM

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever ridden on Ground Controls and stock struts (SkyeC)

If you lower your car with coilovers with a similar spring rate like your stock springs the ride quality should be ok
Old 04-08-2003, 08:47 AM
Trial User

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (Jim Morrison)

if u can install the coilovers ur self
just ride on them w/ ur stock struts, but if u have to pay for installment just wait for ur new struts
why they will still ride like **** on a stock suspension... we're talking about a civic here. Not a type r.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:48 AM

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever ridden on Ground Controls and stock struts (SkyeC)

The way I had it explained to me when I first started was up to 2" drop is ok (Not the best by far), and more than 2" requires some sort of aftermarket strut. You get what you pay for too. Don't expect the car to perform miracles with very little money into it. It'll look better than stock any day of the week though. Take your time. Do it right.
Old 04-08-2003, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had ground controls with stock shocks, and they were fine for me.. I have a few friends who are using that set up right now and they are fine... I had my 4door slammed, all the way down as low as G-C could go, if you don't have it down all the way it will be a better ride...
Old 04-08-2003, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (eg6turbo)

yeah buddy. thats the way to rock em. I did the same thing to my EK, I got the GC and just dropped them all the way down and rocked it like that till I got konis. you got a bouncy ride, but I didnt complain to much when I had it
Old 04-08-2003, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (eg6turbo)

heres a pic custom ground controls on stock shocks....lowered about 3.6 all around give or take a lil...rides ok to me...i drive like this everyday...

Love the way slamed cars look
Old 04-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts (2kTypeRHatch)

I've been riding on GC's with custom rates of 400/500 for almost a year now and still have yet to blow a strut. Granted I can feel every bump in the road its still drivable. I've taken several chicks in the car and they haven't complained yet But I'm about to upgrade to some AGX's and the GC upper mounts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: !!!SUSPENSION!!! Anybody ever riden on Ground Controls and stock struts