Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suspension advice for Daily Driver/Autocross use.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension advice for Daily Driver/Autocross use.

Car is my daily driver but I also hope to do track days in the near future (i.e. race track-but not racing, not drag strip).

I have H&R Race. Spring rate is 450lbs front, 350lbs rear??

Wondering as my ride comfort sucks *** at the moment, I have a fair bit of boucing on the rear.

I have had my Rear [trailing arm<->control arm] and [shock<->control arm] and front [control arm<->shock] bushings upgraded to a hard poly type. (harder than polyeurethane)

Now while this setup makes for amazing handling, it gives suck-*** ride comfort, particularly on motorways(highways??) where there are ripples in the ground that cause you to bounce in your seat cos your moving so fast over em (i.e. 70-80mph).

I have Koni Yellows which are currently set on soft all round.

Car dropped 55mm(2.2") front and 60mm(2.4") rear with the H&R Race. Tho the front is currently on the lower perch on the Koni's (so its down 70mm!) but Ill be bringing it back up as its too bouncy/lacks drivability at this height(Sweet tho it looks, and improves turn in having front lower).

The bushings did add a fair bit of the boucning I have to admit, and I dont think that its entirely the car bouncing, moreso that ithe susp is not moving due to the bushings being too stiff.

So Im trying to decide whether to just ditch the bushings(for stock) and loose the handling benefits or maybe go softer springs??

Will be getting a rear anti roll bar after a while too.

Id also like to be able to have my ride height a little different - would like 60mm front, 55mm rear.

Also, whats the jazz with custom springs- can you order exact spring rates and ride heights??
And are progressive springs better for handling yes?

Bren
Old 06-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension advice for Daily Driver/Autocross use. (Blade_Irl)

Not sure why your ride is bouncy. The Yellows should be able to handle those springrates without any drama at all. Puzzling

Unless there are a TON of miles on the chassis, I don't even know why your bushings would be shot, either.

Nice car, BTW. Very tasteful
Old 06-11-2003, 01:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suspension advice for Daily Driver/Autocross use. (gamby)

It was really only two of the rear bushings that were shot, the fronts were a bit worn.

I live in Ireland so our roads are terrible, thats why they would be wrecked after being on a lowered car for 20k. Car currently has 57000miles on it.

I reckon it is a lot to do with the bushings on the back.
Dunno if this is ***** or not but what I figure is: Stock bushings would take the initial impact giving the shocks time to start to react by time the full force came through the bush, and so the ride was a lot better.
But now the bushings have bugger all give so it goes straight to the shock which cant react fast enough to soften the blow and not bounce?? Is that making any sense?

Cheers for the compliment.
New Pic: http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~bl...n.jpg

Bren
Old 06-15-2003, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

???
Old 06-15-2003, 07:08 AM

If the rear feels bouncy, I'd guess it's underdamped... the shocks are not completely compensating for the relatively stiff spring rates. Have you tried setting the shocks to a stiffer setting than full soft? As spring rates increase, they require shocks with a higher damping rate to compensate.

Also, as your drop increases, preload on the spring increases... making it stiffer. So a shock that could compensate for the H&R Race spring with less drop may not be able to compensate when the drop increases.

I'd keep the poly bushings. You probably feel more vibration, but if you're interested in handling, they're nice to have.

Find a shock/spring combination you like before upgrading the sway bar. If the car's under-damped and bouncy, but riding on a very roll-stiff large sway bar, you'll get some odd handling.