Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   Surging Idle WTF Gives. (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/surging-idle-wtf-gives-937188/)

redrocketgsr 07-24-2004 09:12 PM

Surging Idle WTF Gives.

my car is a 94 D16Z6 ex civic, had no problems for a long while now its constantly doing this F***ed up rev from about 8-900 to almost 2k dadaadadaadadaadadaada, over and over for about 3 minutes then its idles fine, i drive it, three seconda after i stop it at a light or whaterver it start this process all over again. what could this be, im tired as hell of this shit, its embarasing as hell to roll up and your car wont idle right.

also for you D16 guys what the fuck do i need to do to get my cylinder head from lifting, i have arp studs , an oem gasket, and i know the timing is legit. what did you guys do. please help.

cxSHOE 07-24-2004 09:37 PM

Re: Surging Idle WTF Gives. (redrocketgsr)

1. take your iac valve out and clean the screen.
2. check your spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and your wires<< if you spray windex on the wires and the idle changes you know that wire is arcing and needs to be replaced.
3. make sure you have ngk spark plugs if your using platinum take them out. they suck ass
4. your timing is all good so leave that alone,
5. check your brake booster valve thing>> not sure what its called but its the valve on the booster hose.

phobi9 07-24-2004 11:45 PM

Re: Surging Idle WTF Gives. (cxSHOE)

proportioning valve?

SFrogue85 07-24-2004 11:50 PM

I have the same f'in problem.

SwampThing 07-24-2004 11:53 PM

same problem sounds like it's about to die sometimes too.

dogfood 07-24-2004 11:56 PM

I had the same problem after a mini-me, it sounds like a vacum leak, unplug your iacv and the idle should smooth out a little, but it will still rev up and down. If this happens then you know it's a vacum leak. You can use carb cleaner to sray around various spots in the engine to see if the idle changes to find the leak. Or you can hear it from in the engine bay if it's bad enough.

redrocketgsr 08-04-2004 07:30 PM

Re: Surging Idle WTF Gives. (dogfood)

well i think i figured out what it was, im not ssure what its called but if you pull your throttle body off, there is a brass colored plate wit htwo 8mm screws monuting it on, take off that plate and make sure that the large circle thing that looks like a float is screwed all the way down. i dont know why, but mine was threaded damn near all the way out and it wouldnt let my valve seal. tightened it up and purs like a mo f**ing kitten. hope this helps others as well.

redrocketgsr 08-04-2004 07:34 PM

Re: Surging Idle WTF Gives.

well i think i figured out what it was, im not ssure what its called but if you pull your throttle body off, there is a brass colored plate wit htwo 8mm screws monuting it on, take off that plate and make sure that the large circle thing that looks like a float is screwed all the way down. i dont know why, but mine was threaded damn near all the way out and it wouldnt let my valve seal. tightened it up and purs like a mo f**ing kitten. hope this helps others as well.

SLOAZZ95 08-13-2004 11:50 AM

Not being a dick but just so u know in the future it is calle the "fast idle valve,fitv"

JDM R 08-13-2004 12:50 PM

Re: Surging Idle WTF Gives. (SLOAZZ95)

check engine light on? maybe air in the coolant..........