Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Surging Idle and TPS Solved?

Old 06-19-2007, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surging Idle and TPS Solved?

Ok so after two years of trying to figure out this idle this I might have come to a solution. The TPS sensor check over and over again, correct voltages all around... I still beleive is the culprit. What happen is the idle will surge and surge and surge til the car is warmed up. Well when it is doing that I unplug the TPS and bam! surging stops. still idles a little high but none the less... it goes away. Is just me or do you too think that it is the TPS?
Old 06-19-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Uhhhhh..You put up with that for years and you havent tried another one yet?? How stupid is that???
Old 06-19-2007, 10:02 PM

Default Re: (Bejita)

Not a very supportive answer... do you know the price of a new factory throttle body? Not cheap and not just something to try, when your not sure. Buy a used one? Why so that will end up doing the same thing? Whatever happen to forums being helpful and not somewhere to tell someone how stupid something is.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Banned

you dont need to buy a new throttle body, just go to Honda and order the TPS sensor and install it. Its not hard, just a couple of screws and a plug. And as for "Bejita" if you cant post anything supportive, then dont post a comment.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hondastrtracr)

What year and model is your car?

Depending on the year and model of your car you might be able to replace the FIT valve which is located under the throttle body on earlier models. To me it sounds like your FIT valve could be the reason your car is idling erratically until it warms up.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Surging Idle and TPS Solved? (hondastrtracr)

So yeah I delt wit the same problem for about a year and everything he said about the tps is true~ the stealership won't just let u buy a the sensor it self u gotta buy the whole tb so I went online bought a used one didn't fix the problem so I went2 about 10 dif junk yards found 1 wit about 25k miles on the engine and it kinda fixed it but about 6months l8r back doing the same thing so....yeah I'm glade I didn't fork over the $$$ @ the dealership~ as I recall it was somewhere around 600~800 bucks! For a lil f'ing part
Old 06-20-2007, 12:47 AM

Default Re: (yoffer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by yoffer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> And as for "Bejita" if you cant post anything supportive, then dont post a comment.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hey Yoffer.....Go F#ck yourself...I'll post whatever the f#ck I want.

Anyway....To hell with buying a new one....They rarely go bad so you should just go get one from a junk yard. I pull em all the time when I go and re-sell em. you can get one for under 10 bucks probably. A TPS is a TPS. Any of them will work as long as it's a honda.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:52 AM

BTW...It looks like it's riveted on but they are actually rivet type screws called shearbolts....Take a hacksaw to the JY with you and cut a slit down the center and then unscrew it with a flat head.

Make sure it's adjusted properly too when you put on another one. A haynes manual will tell you how. It's a good idea to replace the shearbolts with phillips head screws too. easy as pie
Old 06-20-2007, 09:44 AM

Default Re: (Bejita)

try the FITV before you give yourself a headache with the junkyard. my car was running horrible and in 20 minutes i fixed it with only a coulple bolts.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: (yoffer)

Honda doesnt sell tps sensors alone, you have to buy a whole new throttle body. Omni just released a replacement tps as well as a few other companies.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Surging Idle and TPS Solved? (hondastrtracr)

The car sits over night so it's dead cold. You come out the next morning, start her up and the moment you do so it's already surging?
Old 06-20-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (smoked_out_cx)

Yep, The dealer will not sell just the TPS I think I was quoted 525 or something outragous.

For that price you can get a skunk TB which includes the TPS.

Before you go off and start replacing parts that don't need to, check out your fast idle diaphram. It is easy to check with a vacuum pump.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: (thesmogman)

Yep once its warm its pretty smooth although still idles high. Sometimes it will throw a CEL for the IACV which is the only thing my model has because it is an automatic d16y8. It is factory new and broke the bank for that little thing just cuz i thought it would fix it. But it didn't. It is just odd that when I unplug the TPS it smooths out. Oh and when it does throw a CEL before I shut off the engine and turn it back on while I am still driving with very little throttle open it will surge kinda like brake gas brake gas brake gas really quick.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:17 AM

For starters, what are all the parts that you have tested, changed, or replaced?
The TPS isn't necessarily the culprit just because it idles normally after you unplug it. I once had a surging idle with a d16y7. Everytime the MAP or TPS was unplugged, the idle became normal, but wasn't the problem in the end.

My advice is to first check for vacuum leaks.
The simplest way is to remove the air filter intake arm and plug the lower hole inside your throttle body with your thumb. If the car dies, great, no leaks. If the car almost dies, it could mean that no leaks, or you have a very small vacuum leak. But the most important thing is, if the idle becomes normal, then you have a vacuum leak that you must seek out.

If there is a leak, using carb cleaner to spray around possible areas will respond to a noticable change in idle when the leak is found.

The second most important thing, is the IACV. Changing the IACV doesn't necessarily mean fixing the problem, as I "replaced" the IACV twice, and the idle was still surging. Don't try used units. I bought a new unit from Honda, the problem was fixed.