Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Surface Prep for Powdercoating wheels.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Originalities sake, what kind of powedercoat to use?

There are a few different wheels I'm looking at buy for my civic, but the wheels I'm looking at are not available in the color that I like. The family biz has an industrial powder coating system with conveyor and oven etc... But they powdercoat things like parts bins and racks, anything that has to do with materials handling. The quality of the finish isn't necessarily up to the standards that you would want to see on a wheel for your car. Does anyone have tips for making a desireable finish on the rims...uniform coverage, smoothness...etc. Also, is there any type of surface prep that needs to be done beforehand? I was also wondering what type of powdercoat is normally used. The company can get any type.... Nylon, Epoxy, Polyester... any combination of the latter. We figured that epoxy wouldn't be good because of it's response to UV rays making it fade quickly. Can anyone help me out?????? I would like to have it done at the company because it would be free of cost to me. Opinions, tips ?

[Modified by WalkEX99, 11:08 PM 5/1/2002]
Old 04-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Surface Prep for Powdercoating wheels..... (WalkEX99)

Bead/sandblast the wheels to bring them down to bare aluminum. Next, clean the wheels with soap and water. Let them dry and you are good to go.

-kenji
Old 04-30-2002, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Surface Prep for Powdercoating wheels..... (kenji)

walnut shell blast em. they might pit if you sand or bead blast em.
Old 04-30-2002, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Surface Prep for Powdercoating wheels..... (B_Cruz)

I just powder coated some rims that I got for free last week of a co-worker. They had scrapes and nicks on them. What I did was sand them down to the bare metal, using 3 diffrent grits of sand paper. Ranginf from rough to really fine. I did two of them like this and after that I got lazy and not as good of a job on the second pair. Anyways the first pair came out like new the second pair come out good but you could still see some dings. It cost me 30 bucks a wheel. They sandblasted and powdercoated them for me all in a days time. I was impressed to say the least! on the powdercoat job the rims look like new
Old 05-01-2002, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Originalities sake, what kind of powedercoat to use? (WalkEX99)

Thanks for the help! Nobody had anything to offer as far as the recommendation for type of powedercoat. Does anyone know?! Nylon, Epoxy, Polyester? Also, does anyone get a coat of clear powdercoat on them too?