Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

supercharging a automatic 94

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default supercharging a automatic 94

could anyone please tell me a supercharger i could put on my stock 94 engine. is it even possible?
Old 06-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: supercharging a automatic 94 (sslaxin19)

its possible. . . but its also waste of money and time
Old 06-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: supercharging a automatic 94 (FastLife617)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FastLife617 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its possible. . . but its also waste of money and time</TD></TR></TABLE>

x2

You're tranny will Splode.

SC on small displacement engines is a bad idea. There's a reason 99.9% of small displacement engine tuners use turbos instead of Superchargers. And it's not about the cool noises...

Your 94 civic would be a lot more fun to drive with a manual, small turbo and a good suspension setup.

And a Snell helmet for HPDE and autocross.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not only will the supercharger suck with your motor (superchargers rely on displacement (which in laymen terms has a direct correlation with torque) to increase horsepower output) because your motor is 1.5 or 1.6L. Superchargers are better for bigger applications, such as the LS1 (5.7L).

Turbo is better for small applications (most commonly used by far on 4 cylinder motors).

It is possible to put a supercharger or a turbocharger on your car, the supercharger will cost almost twice as much though, and you'll get about 75% of the power you'll get out of a turbo with a smaller (higher boost) pulley.

Even if it was feasible, the '94 automatic transmissions suck when it comes to integrity and even more when it comes to power translation (power from the engine to the ground).

Do a 5 speed swap if you're going to boost, it's pretty damn much the only way you're gonna hold boost w/o blowing the trans out - the auto &gt; manual swap on a civic is VERY easy (any person, regardless of their intelligence can do it).

Then, once you have a better trans in there you have to look at the condition of your motor, what mileage, how good it was maintained, and how it was driven during those miles.

Basically it's a big waste of time because of the auto trans and superchargers blow ***** on 1.6L or 1.5L SOHC engines.

My advice to you? If you're not too attached to the car - sell it and buy something with a 5 speed - then from there you can boost on stock internals or build the block up. I'd still highly recommend a turbocharger over a supercharger for your application though.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:02 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My advice to you? If you're not too attached to the car - sell it and buy something with a 5 speed - then from there you can boost on stock internals or build the block up. I'd still highly recommend a turbocharger over a supercharger for your application though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen. Easier to sell it especially if it's stock or has no sentimental value.