Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Supercharging the 1.6ltr?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharging the 1.6ltr?

is it even worth it? I normally dont fool with imports or 4cyl. for that matter so i was wondering if it would even be worth all the money to supercharge one. All I can find on the web is one from jackson racing im sure i over looked some somewhere but do you guys know where i can get one for under 7 grand?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Supercharging the 1.6ltr?

The problem with superchargers is that is takes engine power to make engine power. Let's be realistic, a 1.6L Honda engine doesn't make much power, especially down low. Superchargers are ideal on a larger displacement engine with 6 or 8 cylinders. A turbocharger would be much more efficient for your engine.

That being said, you can still have great results with a supercharger if that's what you have your mind set on. You can find them used if you look in the right places (like the h-t marketplace, craigslist, or your local car enthusiast forums).

You didn't mention which 1.6L engine you had...but if you have a B16, you can also use Vortech's system: http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/product.php?p=119

Good luck
Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbo is the way to go on these 4 cylinders
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

turbo all the way
Old 03-11-2009, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
The problem with superchargers is that is takes engine power to make engine power. Let's be realistic, a 1.6L Honda engine doesn't make much power, especially down low. Superchargers are ideal on a larger displacement engine with 6 or 8 cylinders. A turbocharger would be much more efficient for your engine.

A turbocharger is much more efficient. You can still supercharge it if you want, you just won't have as good of results as you would if you turbocharged it instead and spent the same amount of money.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:18 PM
Vietnamese!

Turbo.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:31 PM

Think about it like this;
If its a stock block dd that spends most of it time around 3k, a supercharger should be better. Yes a turbo will be able to make more boost, but I have always been told you dont want to put more than 8psi on any stock b series. And I believe 8 pounds from a supercharger will give nearly identical hp gains as 8 from a turbo, if Im not mistaken. So why deal with lag when youre trying to make it through that yellow light?
IDK, Im not really familiar with turbos or superchargers. Just giving my .02 so please dont start a flame war if Im wrong.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Contrary to most of the above sheep posts, I believe supercharging the D16 or B16 is a good idea. Nearly complete, or complete kits can be had dirty cheap on eBay, and they DO make good power. Not as much as a turbo, but I think it's more reliable, and I like the throttle response that the turbo doesn't have compared to a JRSC. Plus they sound awesome. Concerned about the limits of the supercharger? Endyn went to God-awful power levels (500+?) on a supercharged D16. Don't tell me the SC can't keep up.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a smaller turbo might work well... to reduce lag... but limits power up high and involves a lot of math to get the 'perfect' one.

for dd use, I'd run with a roots type blower or a centrifugal with a smaller pulley ratio (more boost at lower rpm... centrifugals don't make a lot of boost down lowlike the roots-style (twin screw) units do)
Old 03-11-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by buddy190
Yes a turbo will be able to make more boost, but I have always been told you dont want to put more than 8psi on any stock b series.
No... The engine can only handle a certain amount of HP safely. PSI isn't what determines how much HP you have. PSI and turbo size and the tune, etc. determines how much HP you will make.
10 PSI on a large turbo will make more HP than 10 PSI on a small turbo.
It's not PSI that matters when talking about how much your engine can handle, it's HP.
(unless you're talking about how much the stock sleeves can take, but you're talking about rods and such, and I know that's what you're talking about because they can't take as much as the sleeves, so the sleeves aren't relevant until the rods are upgraded.)

And I believe 8 pounds from a supercharger will give nearly identical hp gains as 8 from a turbo, if Im not mistaken.
No... and also, it depends on the size of the turbo and other factors, as mentioned above.

IDK, Im not really familiar with turbos or superchargers. Just giving my .02 so please dont start a flame war if Im wrong.
Serious question: why are you even posting in this thread then?

Originally Posted by F20B-CX
Nearly complete, or complete (supercharger) kits can be had dirty cheap on eBay
Please enlighten us with a link to said kit.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jacks...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/integ...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Civic...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 03-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
Serious question: why are you even posting in this thread then?
Trying to learn more
Why would a bigger turbo make more hp at 10psi than a smaller one at 10psi?
I know theres a certain amount of tuning involved, possibly stronger rods and such depending on how much power your aiming for. and I made that second statment assuming the motor is properly tuned for each setup. I would like to see some dyno resaults of a motor ran with a turbo, then a supercharger, with only the tune as a variable. See exactly how each setup performs.
Sorry about all the noob questions lol.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

/\ I'd make sure they're quality components... you get what you pay for.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Because you are pushing the same pressure through a larger diameter pipe. Therefore, more air into the engine.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Trying to learn more
I know theres a certain amount of tuning involved, possibly stronger rods and such depending on how much power your aiming for. and I made that second statment assuming the motor is properly tuned for each setup. I would like to see some dyno resaults of a motor ran with a turbo, then a supercharger, with only the tune as a variable. See exactly how each setup performs.
Sorry about all the noob questions lol.
More airflow with the bigger turbo.

About the supercharger... I don't have dyno charts to give you because the forum switched to Vbulletin and lost the links to the pictures, but I promise you they were there and here's an excerpt from the write up.

"And of course, here's what I have personally experienced through dynosheets. Both dyno's were done with a 100% stock D16Y8 engine and very similar PSI.

JRSC 6psi pulley, rising to 8psi by redline.
146whp and 118wtq

T3T04e 57trim at 7psi
210whp and 167wtq

That is a 64whp and 49wtq INCREASE in power at virtually the same PSI level. Granted I am using a fairly large turbo, but it's clear just how much power the JRSC is sapping due to it's leeching qualities and tendency to superheat the intake air. "

copied from:
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=68360

I was under the impression you meant new kits, I don't know why. Those are definitely some good deals.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM

so when doing a mild build on a d series. what internals shoud you replace when looking to get about 8psi off of a jrsc?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:34 PM

More airflow with the bigger turbo.

About the supercharger... I don't have dyno charts to give you because the forum switched to Vbulletin and lost the links to the pictures, but I promise you they were there and here's an excerpt from the write up.

"And of course, here's what I have personally experienced through dynosheets. Both dyno's were done with a 100% stock D16Y8 engine and very similar PSI.

JRSC 6psi pulley, rising to 8psi by redline.
146whp and 118wtq

T3T04e 57trim at 7psi
210whp and 167wtq

That is a 64whp and 49wtq INCREASE in power at virtually the same PSI level. Granted I am using a fairly large turbo, but it's clear just how much power the JRSC is sapping due to it's leeching qualities and tendency to superheat the intake air. "

copied from:
http://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum...ad.php?t=68360

I was under the impression you meant new kits, I don't know why. Those are definitely some good deals.
Very helpful link. Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 91teg_ls
so when doing a mild build on a d series. what internals shoud you replace when looking to get about 8psi off of a jrsc?
you won't need to build it at all
Old 03-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you won't need to build it at all
x2

They are designed to be used with a stock engine. Make sure you run a compression and leakdown test beforehand to determine to health of the engine.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, if i take my stock, d16y7, and add a t3 turbo kit with intercooler, injectors, dial it in, i guess 8-12psi boost, what kind of hp can i expect over my 106 stock hp?.. I have been told 100! This seems impossible to me, i have seen saabs with turbos pushing 130, and other small cars pushing around 130-160... is 100hp exagurated??
Old 03-12-2009, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by andoxviii
x2
Old 03-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lexluther
OK, if i take my stock, d16y7, and add a t3 turbo kit with intercooler, injectors, dial it in, i guess 8-12psi boost, what kind of hp can i expect over my 106 stock hp?.. I have been told 100! This seems impossible to me, i have seen saabs with turbos pushing 130, and other small cars pushing around 130-160... is 100hp exagurated??
~206WHP on a D16Y7 with a T3 turbo @ 12 PSI is entirely possible.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A turbocharger is much more efficient. You can still supercharge it if you want, you just won't have as good of results as you would if you turbocharged it instead and spent the same amount of money.
a turbo is rarely more efficient than a S/C, it takes a very good setup along with a good tune for a turbo to be as efficient as a S/C. If your going to daily drive the car, a S/C is the way to go, it provides low end torque to a car that produces very little and I have a friend with a S/C'ed d16 with 200k miles, no issues, and gets 40mpg all day.

On the flip side, if you want power a turbo is the best avenue, you can make all sorts of HP with a nice turbo setup
Old 03-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Since 1983
a turbo is rarely more efficient than a S/C, it takes a very good setup along with a good tune for a turbo to be as efficient as a S/C. If your going to daily drive the car, a S/C is the way to go, it provides low end torque to a car that produces very little and I have a friend with a S/C'ed d16 with 200k miles, no issues, and gets 40mpg all day.

On the flip side, if you want power a turbo is the best avenue, you can make all sorts of HP with a nice turbo setup
I meant efficient for making power.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

MY homeboy supercharged his EG Coupe with a JDM B16A. but i dunnno exactly if it was supercharged cuz it was a Mercedes Benz compressor and he had it mounted on the ac bracket and holly hell that bitch was louder than any supercharger ive ever herd at idle. and he had custom piping and HKS Blow off valve. we got it to 152MPH he had a tuned ecu and bigger injectors and i also had a homeboy with a turboed Sing cam. anyday supercharger over turbo. supercharger makes a great *** sound that nothing beats. this is why im supercharging my single cam z6 asap.

Quick Reply: Supercharging the 1.6ltr?