Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sunroof tilt problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof tilt problem.

94 civic Si.
The sunroof opens and closes fine. But the center button (tilt only) doesnt tilt it up. I have to use the open button until the roof tilts a tad before the middle will work to set it in its position.

So I'm asking what determines when the switch will/will not work? Is there a sensor that tells it when its open? or a resistance it reads when it binds against the end of the rail? Perhaps can just adjust it until i can get a new switch to test
Old 11-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sunroof tilt problem.

up
Old 11-09-2010, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is typicaly and indicator that the motor/ clutch assy has a problem. Do you here the motor running at all when you first hit the tilt button with the roof closed? if so then you have a clutch problem/ motor issue. If not there are 2 limit switches on the motor housing and one of them may have gone out. The bad news about that is it is a real pan in the butt to get the headliner down and out of the way to work on the assy. If the motor is running and just not gennerating enough tourqe then you can just take out the manual crank cover look up in the hole there is a nut with a washer bent up on one side flatten the washer down. Using an alen key or the manual crank hold the shaft still and tighten or loosen the nut a little, bend the washer back up and try the tilt function. Warning making the nut to tight will not allow enough slip and the motor will not build enough tourqe to open the roof. To much slip and you again will end up with the roof not opening and the motor just spinning away. DONOT TRY AND RUN IT WITHOUT THE WASHER BENT BACK UP TO HOLD THE NUT OR IT WILL SELF ADJUST and it will be hard to get things back to where you started from. I dont think you can get the motor from honda without buying the whole roof assy so you have to fix this one or find one in a salave yard to strip parts from.
Edit I was wrong you can get the motor seperate but its $180
http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_p...onGroupID=7380
Old 11-09-2010, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No the motor isnt trying t turn it. Sounds like a self adjusting thing Ill have to work on resetting. I have no problems getting it down and dismantling it. Any help on the steps to reset it to a 0base closed setting? may have thrown it off when i was cleaning and lubing the rails. Had it detached from the ceiling so this is probably what i have to do
From what you're saying the motor should stop itself when it hits the end of what should be the glasses movement trail. so Im assuming just remove that washer and run the motor to one end and install the nut and glass back in the full position to that side correct? Little confusing to explain what Im understanding maybe... hopefully you get what I'm saying.

It's really not a big deal for me as it opens and closes perfectly... just have to open it to get a little head start before the tilt button registers it can be used. Aside from that all seems perfect