Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sunroof problem.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 06:10 PM
New User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default sunroof problem.........

I was getting impatient, and as I was closing my sunroof, I decided to pull on it to make it go a little faster(never should have done that). Well, it seems to be off the track now(or something along those lines). When I go to open it, instead of the sunroof popping up and then going back, it just tries to go back(scratching the paint on my roof....grrrrrrrrrr). Any suggestions or help on what to do?
Old 10-03-2001, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: sunroof problem......... (Civic95)

take it out totally and fill the hole in your roof. more rigid body then
Old 10-03-2001, 06:48 PM
New User

Default Re: sunroof problem......... (skelly)

too bad i am broke. heck, wouldn't it be easier to buy a civic without a sunroof? besides, i like it. anyone else with suggestions.
Old 10-03-2001, 07:21 PM
New User

First a question... WHY on earth did you pull on the sunroof to make it close faster??? What were you thinking????? Well did you try using that little wrench to open it? that way you can openmit slowly and look at it and see where it is going wrong... Oh you might want to push it up by hand and roll it back manually. then look at the tracks...and the little feet that raise the glass. What happens when you press the pop up button?
Old 10-03-2001, 08:00 PM
New User

Default Re: sunroof problem......... (VTEC_MAN)

well, i know it was stupid of me to pull. I wasnt thinking. anyways, when i push the button, i dont think the feet even raise the glass. i think that has to do with the problem. like i said, it doesnt go up and then go back, it just goes back.
Old 10-03-2001, 08:36 PM
New User

mine did that for awhile, all i did was get the little wrench out and open and close it like 4 four times manually with the wrench.. some how it just worked itself out. There was a place where it would get tight, and i thought it was going to strip out the wrench, but that tight spot just gave and worked itself out.

i still have to push up in the back of the glass when im trying to open it because it wont pop on its own, but it slides back and forth just fine.
this is a fairly common problem, ive seen a lot of 5th gen coupes and hatches with the marks on the left side of the roof from only half of it opening. Im trying to talk my instructor in my glass installation class into letting me drop the headliner diagnosing it in school, but he hates dealing with sunroofs and says there best left to sunroof installation places.

he did tell me that its usually a non-repairable issue with the regulator assembly and that its around 2 grand to get fixed from the dealership.
I think its just a weak motor and some stuff that needs to be lubed and adjusted.

im not a profesional or anything, just someone thats now owned 5 hondas and started working on them myself out of an extreme loathing of honda dealerships
Old 10-04-2001, 07:47 AM
New User

Default Re: sunroof problem......... (euclidEH3)

You mentioned something about it being the motor. I dont think this is the problem. I still goes back and forth, it just wont pop up(causing the scraping on the hood). I think I will try the wrench idea, and run it manually a couple of times, if that doesnt work, I am going to say "screw it".