Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Summer tires hold in light snow???

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 05:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Summer tires hold in light snow???

Will Ultra High performance summer tires hold up in light snow like M&S tires? Most M&S tires are only for light snow anyway. The tire in Question would Kumho Escta 712's??? It has alot of grooves for water to escape just like all season touring tires, yet touring tires are really crap in light snow.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:55 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (todaCspec)

Dude just having rims on your car sucks *** in the snow. Find some used steelies and put some cheap snow tires on it. You WILL get stuck otherwise. Trust me lol.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (JDM_Ej)

hahahhaha... i have yoko ES100's on my car. we got a light dusting the other week and my car went no where...

as stated get some steelies and cheap snow tires...
Old 12-16-2004, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Definately get some snow tires. I had Bridgestone RE730's when the first snow hit, and it was like driving on ice. I run snow tires just on the front of my civic with normal M&S tires on the rear and it makes a huge difference. Some people will tell you to put them on all four, but most of my friends just run them on the front of they're FWD's. The rears are pretty much just aslont for the ride.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:35 AM

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (vsm97lsvtecnit)

your gonna **** your car up if you try and go anywhere with those tires in any kind of snow
Old 12-16-2004, 07:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by todaCspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will Ultra High performance summer tires hold up in light snow... Kumho Escta 712's??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Absolutely not. I got stuck in a freak snowstorm with summer tires on, and it was the worst driving experience I've ever had.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by todaCspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It has alot of grooves for water to escape just like all season touring tires</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's alot more to a winter tire than just tread design.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by todaCspec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yet touring tires are really crap in light snow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they are, because they're not designed as a snow tire. See comment above.

You can get winterforce snows (made by firestone) from tirerack for $38 each.

Old 12-16-2004, 07:53 AM
rpr

I have those exact tires, and the first snowfall was a white-knuckle affair. Just barely turning the wheel put the car sideways instantly. It was fun after I knew it was coming, not so fun when it happened in front of a cop. Luckily he already had someone pulled over. I would HIGHLY recommend getting some snow tires. A complete set with used steelies shouldn't cost more than $300.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:23 AM

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (EX_AutoXer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EX_AutoXer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Absolutely not. I got stuck in a freak snowstorm with summer tires on, and it was the worst driving experience I've ever had.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Had the same thing happen to me. Snowstorm in Oct and I still had my 712's on, which was my fault, but I had THE WORST driving experience of my life. 3 inches of snow on an unplowed road with lots of hills and traffic.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After you hit your first curb or bounce off of your first guardrail you will know that you made the wrong decision.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:37 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (93CivicSI)

A set of 175 series all seasons works much better than a set of 205 summer tires...

Thats what I use in the winter...
Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 AM
All Motor Mentor

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (BauleyCivic)

Yep, I got caught a month a go in a freak snow storm driving back on the highway with my Falken Azenis tires on and it was like wearing skiis...worst drive of my life. Those tires really sucked because they don't even have an all season (m+s) designation on them. M+S tires are passable in light snow if they aren't a low profile tire, but realistically you'll want to get away from a low profile/wide tire in any kind of snow condition if you want to be safe.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (chris c)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chris c &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hahahhaha... i have yoko ES100's on my car. we got a light dusting the other week and my car went no where...

as stated get some steelies and cheap snow tires... </TD></TR></TABLE>

I had the same tires on my old integra sedan a while back. We had a snow storm and got about and inch or two of white stuff. On the way to work in the morning I made it up my hill, barely. I was spinning all the way at like 5000 rpms, had to burn through the snow, haha . Anyways on my way back home from work I tried going down my hill and it was like skating on ice downhill with no steering. It sucked bigtime. I finally stopped trying when I slid off the road and hit someones mailbox. No damage but it could have been alot worse and was scary has hell having no control. So ya, steelies and cheap snow tires is the way to go.
Old 12-16-2004, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (93egSIboi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSIboi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had the same tires on my old integra sedan a while back. We had a snow storm and got about and inch or two of white stuff. On the way to work in the morning I made it up my hill, barely. I was spinning all the way at like 5000 rpms, had to burn through the snow, haha . Anyways on my way back home from work I tried going down my hill and it was like skating on ice downhill with no steering. It sucked bigtime. I finally stopped trying when I slid off the road and hit someones mailbox. No damage but it could have been alot worse and was scary has hell having no control. So ya, steelies and cheap snow tires is the way to go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

lol... the es100 would spin when i hit the gas in 3rd gear going 15-20 mph... it was scary! ahahaha

and i drove like there was an egg between my foot and the pedal
Old 12-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

One more vote here for NO!!! I had 712's on my new Konigs a couple years ago. Got caught in the first light dusting and was only doing 10 MPH trying to turn a corner and the car just slid out of control across the intersection and mangled a rim! Grrr, only 2 months old too.
I couldn't even get to the other end of my driveway when I got home, and it's totally flat!
Old 12-16-2004, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (klungemonger)

Steelies and maybe even $50 studded snow tires from Big-O or Walmart because if you hit a curb you'll have to pay for a new steelie, not a new $300 rim.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (31flavorscivic)

ok, i didn't really read what everyone else said, but here is my experiance (well my friend.) he drives a 2002 stratus r/t (very tourqy, instant throttle response), with bald all seasons in the snow. not like a little snow either, we are in vermont. like 6+ inches. oh well, to each there own. maybe vermonters are just crazy...
Old 12-16-2004, 02:52 PM

there's a difference between crazy and flat out stupid

maybe vermonters are just stupid...
Old 12-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slamdLScivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slamdLScivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's a difference between crazy and flat out stupid

</TD></TR></TABLE>

There's also a definitive overlap there, which is what you REALLY need to watch out for.

&lt;&lt;coming from a person who destroyed almost everything cosmetic wise on his old sunfire from winter driving and subsequent snowbanks therein (check bio for damage report)
Old 12-23-2004, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are in a position where one day you might have to drive in the snow, do NOT run the 712's. Snow/ice means no stopping whatsoever. You will just slide all over the road.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lost it last winter with 712's, trashed 2 wheels and left sideskirt. I was only doing 30mph with little snow, so i definetly wouldnt reccomend it.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:51 PM

sorry player get a durango... its more durable...
Old 12-23-2004, 06:40 PM

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (Vick_Durango)

i've ran summer tires in winter and they work but not to good
Old 12-23-2004, 06:48 PM

my Dunlop FM901's SUCK in snow.....summer performance tire
Old 12-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Summer tires hold in light snow??? (tthomass)

on my car i have dunlop sp sport 9000's drove those in the snow lol, scared me to death, i got some blizzaks and its much better now
Old 12-24-2004, 06:39 AM

Default Re: (slamdLScivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slamdLScivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there's a difference between crazy and flat out stupid

maybe vermonters are just stupid...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dont forget inbred!

Quick Reply: Summer tires hold in light snow???