Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

summer civic project

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2005, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default summer civic project

hey everyone, i was talking to my friend and he told me that he wanted to buy a civic and upgrade the hell out of it. i know a good bit about the honda engines and installation stuff, but since i drive an accord, i dont know much about civic bodies, which engines can mount into it, etc... money aside from everything, we just want to make the most powerful civic we can do. my question here is what year would work best and which engines would have the most aftermarket support and turbo reliability (since i know alot of the B-series, D-series, some of the F-series, the H-series, and some K engines can mount into a civic)? We are probably going to try and find a beat up civic on ebay and go from there. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 12-29-2005, 05:12 PM

stupid me forgot to check the sticky up at the top, so that answers alot of my questions, but feel free to add more since my civic knowledge is small...
Old 12-29-2005, 09:12 PM

dude, you can put whatever engine you want in it as long as hasport makes the mounts, linkage, axles, and harness for it and they make all those for every swap into the civic
Old 12-29-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (x_outlaw_x)

i got a motor for sale its a d16z6 with everything u need to make it go fast im looking for 600 its basicaly 2 engines with 1 block
Old 12-29-2005, 10:33 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, you can put whatever engine you want in it as long as hasport makes the mounts, linkage, axles, and harness for it and they make all those for every swap into the civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats going to make things a whoooooole lot easier for me. for the body, which generation do you think would be our best bet, as in engine bay room, weight of the car... im thinking either 92-95 or 96-00. we have a long time before we really get started, so any info is greatly appreciated.

Modified by XiOus271 at 1:52 AM 12/30/2005
Old 12-29-2005, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (XiOus271)

If you say 'I know a bit about honda motors', you shouldn't start out building w/ a $4k longblock. You have to crawl before you can walk. I helped rebuild 10+ v8's before I did one myself solo, and I still feel I needed more experience. Of course, I didn't do it with a helms in front of me either, and the internet at the time hardly had a good search engine, let alone good info.

The key thing to do, regardless of which way you go, is to do it right the first time. I don't mean buying $800 rods, I mean little stuff like checking clearances, cleaning threads in the block, filing the rings correctly, etc. Don't get the most expense part, get the part that's the most reliable for the most reasonable price.

If I had to suggest any chassis, it's be a 93-95 Civic CX. The 92 is the lightest, but theres things about it that overshadow the wieght savings. Its also OBD1, the easiest to find parts for, and no extra crap like AC in the way.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:11 PM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

i easily admit that i dont know alot, especially about civics, thus saying i know a bit. it sounds like you didnt have the same access to resources that are available today, which can easily make a job more difficult. my friend and i are doing this as a learning experience, but thats also why im asking others who probably know more than me what might be the better route to go. right now it sounds like we probably shouldnt dive directly into something like a b18c5 or an h22 (though ive done a little bit of work on one of those) but go for a less expensive d-series maybe? unless somehow i got a good deal on the b18c . about the chassis and stuff in the way... we live in memphis, so it can get pretty damn hot, so i think we would be better off starting with ac then later removing it if we need to. your advice is helpful though, it gives me some ideas on how to start.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:45 PM

if you can afford it and get you hands on it i would go k series
Old 12-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Default Re: (x93coupex)

If you have the patience, the will to learn properly and an eye for details there's no reason you cant do a mild rebuild yourself, it's a very rewarding experiance.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: (x93coupex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x93coupex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you can afford it and get you hands on it i would go k series </TD></TR></TABLE>

i admit the k series is very tempting, but im not sure if it has enough aftermarket support (mostly turbo) or at least, not as much support as the b series does. and right now, i THINK the k series costs a bit more, but im keeping my eyes open. my friend is supplying the money, and im supplying the garage + most of the mechanical stuff... but the two of us want to try and learn as much as possible from this.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:34 AM

this question is very subjective, but heres my $0.02

92-95

- B18B built and turbo to 300fwhp
- complete susp meaning good coilovers, sway bars, strut braces, polyurethane bushings...the works
- 15" lightweight rims with Azeni 205/50/15
- racing front seats FIA approved
- tastefull body modifications
- upgraded brakes (rotors, calipers, pads, lines, BB and MC)
- HID retro-fit headlights from Honda S2000
- then the other goodies like short shifter, momo steering wheel, etc.
- $$$$ very, very, very, very good alarm system with tracking

B18B because its cheaper the B18C, its lower compression and can be built up. 300whp would not be a problem with right turbo set-up and it should be relable too.

300whp in a 2400lb car should make it giddy up

basically make the car a package, brakes are needed to stop the fast car from the big engine and suspension is nice to keep it shiny side up...then add comfort (AC cause you live where it is hot) and all that means one hell of a fun car to drive as long as it dosen't get stolen
Old 12-30-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: (alwaysoverkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by alwaysoverkill &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this question is very subjective, but heres my $0.02

92-95

- B18B built and turbo to 300fwhp
- complete susp meaning good coilovers, sway bars, strut braces, polyurethane bushings...the works
- 15" lightweight rims with Azeni 205/50/15
- racing front seats FIA approved
- tastefull body modifications
- upgraded brakes (rotors, calipers, pads, lines, BB and MC)
- HID retro-fit headlights from Honda S2000
- then the other goodies like short shifter, momo steering wheel, etc.
- $$$$ very, very, very, very good alarm system with tracking

B18B because its cheaper the B18C, its lower compression and can be built up. 300whp would not be a problem with right turbo set-up and it should be relable too.

300whp in a 2400lb car should make it giddy up

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, being able to stop is a good thing. everything you said is pretty much the info/opinions im looking for. depending on the money when we start the project, i may choose to build up a NA motor before turbo, then once we have the money... "ITS TURBO TIME!" pardon my cheap quote from Jingle All the Way... but yes, sounds good. more ideas = good to me! thanks everyone!
Old 12-30-2005, 10:47 AM

i would go with the 92-95 because its OBD-1 which means its actually tuneable and the hatches are really light and they just look the best...buy mine look at all my threads 2500 and its fast
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 AM

or get a crx and put a b18c5 or b16b in it with AEM hybrid cool air, dc sports header, and rsr exmag gt2 exhaust, maybe nitrous if your not into all motor like me, do nothing to the body and you have a fast *** sleeper
Old 12-30-2005, 11:23 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or get a crx and put a b18c5 or b16b in it with AEM hybrid cool air, dc sports header, and rsr exmag gt2 exhaust, maybe nitrous if your not into all motor like me, do nothing to the body and you have a fast *** sleeper</TD></TR></TABLE>

if we can get our hands on a b18c5, thats what we would like to go with. my problem with the b16b is that it has good horsepower, but the torque sucks *** and you have to rev to like, 7000+ to reach it. i know alot of these engines are notorious for high hp and very little torque. id rather get a b18b1 where the stock torque is higher than the b16b, kicks in sooner, even though it has less ponies. unless the b16b builds real well and i can boost the torque easily, id rather get a b18b1 or b18c-series
Old 12-30-2005, 02:56 PM

bumping my own thread... but hey, id like to read more opinions...
Old 12-30-2005, 03:42 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XiOus271 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if we can get our hands on a b18c5, thats what we would like to go with. my problem with the b16b is that it has good horsepower, but the torque sucks *** and you have to rev to like, 7000+ to reach it. i know alot of these engines are notorious for high hp and very little torque. id rather get a b18b1 where the stock torque is higher than the b16b, kicks in sooner, even though it has less ponies. unless the b16b builds real well and i can boost the torque easily, id rather get a b18b1 or b18c-series</TD></TR></TABLE> i can get you a b18c out of a gsr for 2500...complete swap, engine, transmission, ecu, axles, shift linkage, hubs for a 92-95 civic
Old 12-30-2005, 03:47 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by x_outlaw_x &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i can get you a b18c out of a gsr for 2500...complete swap, engine, transmission, ecu, axles, shift linkage, hubs for a 92-95 civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

ill have to talk to my friend about it, since he's the one who will be buying everything. keep me updated on that though. question on the tranny... is it manual?
Old 12-31-2005, 03:32 PM

manual, auto...whatever you want...all legit not stolen<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XiOus271 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ill have to talk to my friend about it, since he's the one who will be buying everything. keep me updated on that though. question on the tranny... is it manual?</TD></TR></TABLE> manual, auto...whatever you want...all legit not stolen from japan