Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

suggestion for inexpensive lowering springs! please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestion for inexpensive lowering springs! please help!!!

ok so i have a 98 hatch im lowering, but im on a budget and i dont want to spend taht much on springs. soo the one i found is off the jdmboy website and its about 100 dollars with adjustable perches to adjust the height of ur car. and it would just go with stock struts and stock shocks, but the problem is i dont know if i should buy it! does anyone know if it would be bad for my car at all??
please help! thank you
Old 12-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you're better off with cut stock springs, than with cheap coilover sleeves.

Look for a used set of Eibach/Progress/H&R springs
Old 12-08-2008, 07:21 PM

Hey you can get the cheap coil over off ebay for 40.00 bucks and they will work for about a year from what I am told then they break. If the budget will be better later maybe that will help.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:48 PM

alright thanks evs-one but how long will that last?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

H&R springs will last pretty much the lifetime of your car, assuming you don't drive like an idiot anyway. I'm not sure how long the stock shocks will last after lowering, I've heard people say forever, others say not as long. But the springs should last until your car is dead and buried if you drive within reason.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Agreed - one area where you DEFINITELY don't want to cheap out is the suspension. Way too crucial to mess around with...
Old 12-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IN all honesty, save your money and buy a good suspension set up. Riding on lowering springs does the job, but its kinda bumpy. Ride in a car with lowering springs then one with a good set up [my recommendation is the Apex n1 system]. You'll feel the difference between every bump in the road and no bumps x]
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought a set of used skunk2 coilovers off craigslist for 70 bux thats were i would start looking if you want something really good expect to pay more for it though
Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Not what I'd call "quality" suspension...but a definite step-up from eGay junk
Old 12-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep didnt need anything great just decent havent had a problem with any of their products
Old 12-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not saying their crap, just not what I'd consider "high-quality." Don't worry man, I've got F2 Type 1s on my car so it's not like I'm rocking top-shelf ish either And I happen to love my coilovers too, especially for the price I picked 'em up for...
Old 12-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmatt3465
IN all honesty, save your money and buy a good suspension set up. Riding on lowering springs does the job, but its kinda bumpy. Ride in a car with lowering springs then one with a good set up [my recommendation is the Apex n1 system]. You'll feel the difference between every bump in the road and no bumps x]

You obviously have never ridden in a civic with APEX'i N1s or other such coilovers.

You obviously have never ridden in a civic with lowering springs either.

I have eibach sportlines on my EM1. It rides like stock. Any quality lowering spring will make the car ride pretty much like stock even on stock shocks. Infact, you should use stock or other soft shocks with soft springs.

A car on agressive coilovers will ride harsh. Any car on shitty coilovers will ride like ****. It's a scientific fact. The APEX'i N1 will ride MUCH harsher than a lowering spring. Why did you pick the APEX'i N1 anyway? Just a random name you picked out of a hat? Did you hear about it from someone? I'm pretty sure they have very high spring rates on those coilovers. Why wouldn't you feel bumps with them? Please explain.

A set of SKUNK2 lowering springs can be had on ebay for around $140. That's motherfreaking CHEAP. Those are quality also. Eibachs can be had for around $200. Honestly, my friend's 97 coupe and my 99 EM1 ride and look about the same. He has Skunk2s I have Eibachs. Mine rides a bit better....but not by too much. I still prefer the quality of the Eibachs. But the skunk2s hold up pretty well too. Use STOCK OR SOFT SHOCKS/ADJUSTABLE SHOCKS WITH LOWERING SPRINGS! I used skunk2s shocks on my Eibachs for a week and I couldn't stand all the bouncing around. I'm on Tokico blues now. Silky smooth.

Buy what you need. A $150-200 set of lowering springs is much better quality than a $600-800 set of coilovers.

Just buy a nice set of springs. It's better to spend money on quality than to waste money on garbage. The good **** is only about $40-50 more anyway.

Last edited by B serious; 12-08-2008 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by B serious
You obviously have never ridden in a civic with lowering springs either.

I have eibach sportlines on my EM1. It rides like stock. Any quality lowering spring will make the car ride pretty much like stock even on stock shocks. Infact, you should use stock or other soft shocks with soft springs.

Anyway, if you want to lower it without getting shocks, get either pro kit/s.tech/or H&R. Whatever you do just stay away from the ebay junk. Imagine going down the highway and one of your springs break, that could mean death!!!!!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 AM

dang b series thanks bro, so eibaches are the way to go then huh?
and just with stock shocks is just fine too?

cool!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with Skunk2. They're reliable.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by silverekjdm
dang b series thanks bro, so eibaches are the way to go then huh?
and just with stock shocks is just fine too?

cool!
Yeah, Eibach stuff is really good. They come with a 1million mile warranty...so you can expect the springs not to sag or break. They're "expensive" for lowering springs. But they're still only about $200. The sportlines lowered my car a little more than I wanted. They advertised 1.6'', but it was more like 2.5'' or so in reality.

I'm using stock shocks up front (they were still fine), and Tokico blues out back (the rear shocks on my car were frozen into the control arm and the upper mount was frozen onto the shock). I may get blues up front next season if I feel the need. The stock shocks work fine, though as long as they're in good shape.

Mine still work great after 122k miles. (I lowered it at 118k miles).

The SKUNK2 springs for civics sit about the same stance as Eibach sportlines. They ride almost the same. They're around $140.

So...iduno. Toss up between the two.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:16 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some of you guys need to wander over to the suspension forum and do some reading.

For the most part, a quality lowering spring and good damper(Koni Yellows, Bilsteins, etc), will be a great setup for the street. KYB GR2's are worse than stock shocks.

Apex N1's are not a great coilover system either
Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used skunk2s shocks on my Eibachs for a week and I couldn't stand all the bouncing around. I'm on Tokico blues now. Silky smooth.

Just buy a nice set of springs. It's better to spend money on quality than to waste money on garbage. The good **** is only about $40-50 more anyway.

Tokico blues are a good choice, I recently put them on my car.
I was first going to just put springs on my stock struts but a friend talked me out of it and i saved up a bit more. After taking apart my rear suspension im SO glad i didnt waste my time using stock struts.

If youre interested, I got my set up from http://www.erzperformance.com/Search...20&Search.y=18

Free shipping at 400 dollars is a deal.
I think they put the package on a donkey cause it took forever, Im in NJ. I guess that comes with free shipping.

Bserious: Ever fix that CEL on the Si?
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM

^^ lol they put the package on a donkey.

No I never fixed the CEL, I can't believe you remember that or that you would bring it up and embarass me.

I ignore it. I'd like it gone, but whatever. I think what had caused it in the first place was a bad FPR (stock). I replaced it with another one and I started INSTANTLY getting like 3-4MPG more. I think the O2 sensor was a bit fouled out. Haven't bothered getting a new one to check. The car gets around 27-30mpg regularly. So I'm not really that worried about it.

Thanks for bringing it up though...jerk.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 PM

I rock skunk 2's with full camber and toe correction kits and koni yellows all for $400 used. Keep your eye open for a good deal
Old 12-09-2008, 08:17 PM

Default tein s-tech, no coilovers...

I have a set of Tein S-tech, and Eibach pro shocks. Springs where 130 shipped. They have pretty decent ride, a little stiff but it handles likes its on rails. One bad thing about coilovers they can (not always) be a pain to align. I am not a fan of coilovers but thats just my 2 cents. 17" wheels by the way which I wouldn't do again, 16" next time with a little thicker tire.
Attached Images  
Old 12-09-2008, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Evs-One
some of you guys need to wander over to the suspension forum and do some reading.

For the most part, a quality lowering spring and good damper(Koni Yellows, Bilsteins, etc), will be a great setup for the street. KYB GR2's are worse than stock shocks.
I am not saying KYB GR2 shocks are good but they are better than stock. I actually found them to be quite a bit stiffer than stock. If I try to push down on any corner of the car, it does not move up and down much at all. Probably about the equivalent of tokico blues.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^ lol they put the package on a donkey.

No I never fixed the CEL, I can't believe you remember that or that you would bring it up and embarass me.

I ignore it. I'd like it gone, but whatever. I think what had caused it in the first place was a bad FPR (stock). I replaced it with another one and I started INSTANTLY getting like 3-4MPG more. I think the O2 sensor was a bit fouled out. Haven't bothered getting a new one to check. The car gets around 27-30mpg regularly. So I'm not really that worried about it.

Thanks for bringing it up though...jerk.

Haha ya, IT seriously took like 6-7 days from gettin my Trackin #.

I remember the thread, Not tryin to embaress you, Or am i.. Jk.
Tried lookin for it but the search to see if there was a conclusion but the search feature infuriates me.

OBDII sucks, Along with that Little orange light.

Hm, Wonder where the OP went.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:09 PM

ok soo wat would be best for the 98 HATCHBACK?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have H&R Sport Springs and they ride nice, and they're a quality set of springs. I highly recommend these. These can be had for $190 shipped on eBay.

Quick Reply: suggestion for inexpensive lowering springs! please help!!!