Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suddenly Squishy Clutch Pedal

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly Squishy Clutch Pedal

96 Ex with B18C1 engine and matching tranny.

So within the last day or two my clutch pedal is feels loose until about half way. The bite point is lower than normal but the car drives and shifts as it normally does. I searched for awhile and couldn't find exactly the cause. It seems it could be master/slave cylinder, the pedal action itself, fluid level, or the clutch itself. The transmission was rebuilt about 12000 miles ago, syncs, gears, clutch kit, and new axles. I realize this is a little redundant but I work grave yard shift on the weekend and just looking for a little help. THX.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Suddenly Squishy Clutch Pedal

look for leaking around the clutch pedal on the floor board and around the clutch slave and you should have your answer
Old 07-03-2010, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the same problem.Looked up under my dash and it was leaking fluid bad.Replaced it with another master slave cylinder i had and it leaks as well and has alottt of play in the pedal.Does anyone know where to buy one of these new. Sorry about jacking your post.But it seems we share the same problem.I know there is an ajudyster nut on them but once its leaking...What do ya do.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cjw_89
i have the same problem.Looked up under my dash and it was leaking fluid bad.Replaced it with another master slave cylinder i had and it leaks as well and has alottt of play in the pedal.Does anyone know where to buy one of these new. Sorry about jacking your post.But it seems we share the same problem.I know there is an adjuster nut on them but once its leaking...What do ya do.
Many clone master cyls don't measure up to the real Honda items for clearances.
Assuming there are no other mechanical or hydraulic problems,

The pedal movement/play is adjustable, the pushrod on the pedal has a threaded section with a locking nut.

So is the brake push rod for info to others.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THX all Ill check levels today. Unfortunately it has been raining lately and it always has leaked inside the cabin when it rains, ha ha. Also the play in the pedal is very loose until 1/2 way down.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So where the shaft goes from the back of the clutch pedal into what I am assuming is the slave, on the firewall, there is fluid dripping down from it. It isn't like a waterfall but a few drops have made their way on it and I can see what I believe is watered down grease moving in and out of the hole the rod slides in and out of (that's what she said, ha ha). The fluid levels look ok for the master and the one to the right, which I am assuming, again, is the slave for the clutch has some fluid in it but no fill line.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Correction, brake master has nice amount of fluid and the clutch master, to the right, has some fluid but I can't tell where the fill line is.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if there isn't any leaks at the clutch master and the slave then the push rod needs to be adjusted
Old 07-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The fluid that was there was only a few drops, what little I found. Also the fluid in the clutch master is very murky or dirty.

Update: I bought some Dot 4 and found the fill lines are on the left side of the reservoir. Filled to the fill line and now it drives as it once was. Drove it for 5 miles, regular, slightly aggressive, and it seems to be holding. It seems that I may just have to replace the master/ slave and bleed the system.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by infinitypro12
The fluid that was there was only a few drops, what little I found. Also the fluid in the clutch master is very murky or dirty.

Update: I bought some Dot 4 and found the fill lines are on the left side of the reservoir. Filled to the fill line and now it drives as it once was. Drove it for 5 miles, regular, slightly aggressive, and it seems to be holding. It seems that I may just have to replace the master/ slave and bleed the system.
Use Honda fluid or good name brand dot3, never use silicone or dot4 unless you have reworked the whole system with new parts or seals.
Old 07-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DOT 3, 4, 5.1 are polyethylene glycol based. DOT 5 is silocon based. DOT 3 and 4 differ by tolerances to heat, its like Fiber vs Broadband, each will get you to the internet but one is better. Appreciate every angle, props and cheers!
Old 07-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dot 4 has a higher boiling point, you have to flush the system, using 3, and 4 at the same time can cause break failure
Old 07-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The issue isn't in my brakes. So far after 3 days research there is zero concrete evidence to support not mixing or mixing DOT 3 and DOT 4. It's like saying you shouldn't add premium gas to a tank that has regular already in it. On the other side, adding DOT 5 which is silicone based and not synthetic, will cause problems. Again, I appreciate the discussion on fluid but that isn't the case here.

My pedal action was 100% fine until a few days ago but the more I read and think about it the more I suspect my master blew its load and is spent. The fluid that I added is still there and hasn't leaked. The system is functioning better than it did but the fluid in the clutch master is really dirty and wehn it is cold (say morning) the clutch has more play than if I pump it a couple times. If I had another vehicle I wouldn't be worried about it.
Old 07-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the piston could be worn in the clutch master cylndr if there is pedal play
Old 07-06-2010, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, that's what I am thinking or I popped the seal somehow. I'm just going to take it somewhere because it's my DD and I don't have time to mess with getting the bleeding process right.