Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help!

Last night I was driving around, I got in the car and it started fine, nothing weird. I drove about 15 miles, then I had to stop and turn off the car. When I was done, I had to drive about another 5 miles, and turn off the car. The car was off for about a half an hour and when I got back in it this time, it wouldn't turn on.

When I turned the key everything lit up like normal. The lights, and radio and what not all functioned like normal. But when you turned the key all the way to the start position, nothing happend. Nothing at all, no sound, nothing under the hood. It was a little bit like the clutch was depressed or something. But I can assure you that's not the problem.

In my mind the logical problem is the starter, but I suppose it could be the ignition, wiring or tons of other things. I just don't understand how any of those things would go from being fine to not working at all in a 5 mile period.

In any case, the car still runs if I push start it. That's how I got it home. So hopefully, someone in this wise community has some helpful insight.

ADDITION TO ORIGONAL POST!

Okay, so I can now 100% verify that the problem is not the starter. I swapped the starter out for a verified working one from another civic, and it does not seem to have improved at all. However, I've noticed (I'm not sure if it was happening with the old starter or not), that when you turn the key the Heater Motor Fan Relay under the hood clicks. I also checked all the fuses to make sure I didn't blow one while I was working, but all the fuses are still good.

Some one please, tell me where to look next.

Modified by bpetruzzo at 10:04 AM 4/11/2004
Old 04-06-2004, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: West Bakalakadaka St., Durka Durka Mohammed Gihad, WMDs
Default Re: Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help! (bpetruzzo)

Well, if your car is a 5-speed then it might be this.
I don't know if honda's are set up exactly the same way but my s-10 had a little plastic piece on the top of the clutch pedal that was a sensor telling the ecu when the clutch was depressed. Cause we all know that it won't start w/out it being depressed. in my s-10 for a quick fix I just took a paper clip and stuck it in the sensor making it tell the ecu that the clutch was depressed all the time. Not sure if the honda w/ be set up the same way but I would look under the dash at your clutch pedal and make sure that everything looks right.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help! (VogueSilverHX)

Yeah, the Civic has a small button that the clutch pushes when it's let out. But it appears as though it moves in and out like normal so the ECU should still think the clutch is pressed. Unless it's some wacky wiring.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bpetruzzo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, the Civic has a small button that the clutch pushes when it's let out. But it appears as though it moves in and out like normal so the ECU should still think the clutch is pressed. Unless it's some wacky wiring.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You can check for voltage at the signal wire on the starter when trying to start the car. If it has 12v the starter is bad.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:05 AM

HELP!

Okay, so I can now 100% verify that the problem is not the starter. I swapped the starter out for a verified working one from another civic, and it does not seem to have improved at all. However, I've noticed (I'm not sure if it was happening with the old starter or not), that when you turn the key the Heater Motor Fan Relay under the hood clicks. I also checked all the fuses to make sure I didn't blow one while I was working, but all the fuses are still good.

Some one please, tell me where to look next.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check your distributor cap rotor might have come off like mine did the same thing. i was driving then car just stop running. my car cranked over but wouldnt start . the rotor had fallen off. so try that.
Old 04-11-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

u didnt happen to over tighten the power bolt on the new starter? i did that and bent the contacts on the inside of the starter, couldnt start it.
check your neutral position switch to see if you are making contact when you push in the clutch.
if all that doesnt help, start eliminating issues on the motor like air,fuel,fire.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help! (redline23)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redline23 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check your distributor cap rotor might have come off like mine did the same thing. i was driving then car just stop running. my car cranked over but wouldnt start . the rotor had fallen off. so try that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did you even read the post?

Check your transmission ground.
Twice I have seen similar problems(only clicks when you turn the key) caused by either a broken tranny ground or someone forgetting to put the ground back on after work was done.

The starter is grounded by the tranny, and if the tranny ground is broken or corroded, your starter may not have a sufficient ground.

Also, check the power wire running from the battery to the starter. I left that off one time and it did the same thing. Just clicked when you turned the key.

Old 04-11-2004, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help! (Slopoke)

yeah i was just trying to eliminate the possibilties. just trying to help .
Old 04-11-2004, 02:42 PM

try useing a screwdriver to short between the battery post and the solanoid post on the starter (make sure the car is out of gear)if the starter works its most likely your cluch safety switch or ignition switch.do you have an alarm with starter kill?
Old 04-12-2004, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Suddenly my car wont start! Please some one help! (DREWPY)

Thanks for all the help guys- I really appreciate all this!

Okay, the transmission is grounded, and the wire is not corroded at all. It looks like the wire going from the starter to the battery is fine as well (although I didn't unwrap it).

I can still push start the car.

I don't quite understand what you want me to do with the screw driver. But I do not have an alarm, or any kind of kill system.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:30 AM

bump
Old 04-12-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you have a dying battery. not enough juice to turn the motor with the starter. your alternator is good which is why you can still push start the car. swap out the battery and youll be golden.
Old 04-12-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check all of your grounds. i had a loose thermostat ground and it wouldnt let my car start
Old 04-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: (JDMlifestyle)

Everything else on the car, battery dependant, works fine- including the stereo and amplifier. No dimming lights, nothing.

I've checked all the grounds I can think to check. I don't know the motor inside and out, so if there's a ground completely missing, I wont be able to tell. nuts.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bpetruzzo)

Could it possible be the ignition switch, inside the sterring column, not the key switch...but the actual switch behind the key cylinder... i've had this happen to me on a 91 Civic Si of mine.

vnt