Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stuttering, random check engine light.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuttering, random check engine light.

Well i am kinda stumped on this one. I have a 95 hatch, with a b18c1. Running a P72 with just the stock base map on it. The only recent thing i have done was installed a skunk2 intake manifold. What happens is this, when im just cruising around town sometimes it'll stutter/hesitate what ever ya call it. When i gun it sometimes it'll be revving like normal and hesitate and vtec will disengage. I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires, spark plugs as well and the problem is still there. Other than that, i am not sure what else could be causing this problem. With the CEL, i haven't been able to pull the code yet, because when i turn the car off, and then back on, its gone. I am assuming that the problem may be a sensor or something. When i get the chance i will have to datalog the car and hopefully that will help me figure out what is goin on. Anywho any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 02-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the code while the car is running.
Or Reset the ECU and jump the connector with no CEL. And when it comes on again it will Immediately start throwing the code.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last time I did any major work on my B16A2, one of the things I replaced was the throttle body gasket, and when everything was put back together I would randomly getting a flashing CEL, the engine would jerk around, and my idle was freaking out (I also had a slight leak in the intake). I remove the throttle to find that I installed the gasket the wrong way and so it was leaking and interrupting the MAP sensor. I realized that I made the mistake of trying to match the gasket to the manifold mating surface rather than the throttle body mating surface. Replaced the gasket again and she purred like a kitten.

By the way, you can tell if it's installed correctly without taking anything apart because there will be a little tab on the gasket sticking out on the upper corner of the throttle body closest to the firewall.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hardedge)

interesting input . I will also check the light the next time it comes on. Just thought in the mean time i might ask yall what to possibly look at before i am able the check the code again (doesn't show up that often which is why i am askin you guys in the meantime) .