Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stuttering at low rpm...anybody had this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuttering at low rpm...anybody had this problem?

Over the last few days my car has started stuttering at low rpm...specifically in the 2,000-3,000 range. It happens no matter what gear I'm in. Anybody know what could be the cause of this? I can't make any sense of it. Normally even when the car is in too high a gear, flooring it just feels dead (typical torqueless Honda), not shakey.

It's similar to the little decrease that happens when you switch the air conditioning on when you're on the throttle, but two or three times as strong and it continues through the 2-3k range.

Anybody had that happen or know what kind of problem it sounds like?
Old 05-03-2008, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Stuttering at low rpm...anybody had this problem? (Regal)

Well, it's 3:15am here in cali, so I may not be thinking straight... This sounds like something electrical. Check all the wiring harnesses in the engine bay, especially the one going to your throttle position sensor.

If that doesn't work out for you, try explaining the problem your having in more detail, and maybe someone can point you in the right direction. Does the motor put out normal power at higher rpms? Did you modify the car at all before this started happening?
Old 05-03-2008, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Stuttering at low rpm...anybody had this problem? (CALC!_JUST_du_IT!)

Everything else about the motor's output seems normal. No check engine light, VTEC engages, my gas mileage is good....it's just that the throttle is dead and the car shakes between 2-3k rpm.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check spark plugs.

wait, spark plugs AND check rotor and cap. I have the same symptoms but @ 1k - 2.5k RPM, my rotor is kinda busted, cuz its' lost the screw a few times.

Modified by Juan_Mitosis at 10:11 AM 5/3/2008
Old 05-03-2008, 12:35 PM

Default Re: (Juan_Mitosis)

I still think you need to check all the wiring... It'll only take a minute. Let us know if you find anything.
Old 05-03-2008, 02:13 PM

Default Re: (CALC!_JUST_du_IT!)

just took a look under the hood real quick (i'm on break at work and it's raining...unfortunately i don't know anything about wiring so i'm not sure what to look for haha. everything looks to be connected properly, although the #3 plug wire did push in a bit when i pressed it to the dist. i'm not sure if that would cause the problem, but i'll let you guys know. thanks for all the help thus far
Old 05-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: (Regal)

An exhaust leak gave me those symptoms @ those RPMs. .02
Old 05-03-2008, 07:10 PM

Default Re: (mcvtec)

Important question: does the power pick up gradually after 3000rpm, or is it sudden?
Old 05-03-2008, 07:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CALC!_JUST_du_IT! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Important question: does the power pick up gradually after 3000rpm, or is it sudden?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the stuttering goes away after i pass 3k, but I feel like throttle response is muted even no matter where I am in the rpm band. Unfortunately the plug wire wasn't the problem cos it's still happening. I think it's generally bogged down a bit, but really noticeable and shakey down low.

I think I'm gonna pick up a Blox TPS since Honda only sells them with the throttle body. I'll probably get new plugs while I'm at it. Anybody know how tight the throttle cable is supposed to be when the engine is off? I'm starting to think the car is just bogged down completely and I'm just noticing it down low because of the lack of low end power regardless...I'm guessing that's what you're getting at about the power delivery?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:23 AM

Default Re: (Regal)

By the way, not sure if I already said this but the stuttering only happens at wide open throttle, too. This is so damn annoying!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CALC!_JUST_du_IT! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Important question: does the power pick up gradually after 3000rpm, or is it sudden?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I want' to know the answer to this. . . if it's sudden or if it's gradual, what could it be? thanks in advanced!
Old 05-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stuttering at low rpm...anybody had this problem? (Regal)

Sounds kind of like it might be an ignition coil. Difficult to tell without actually seeing/driving/riding in the car. Take off the cap and measure the resistance in the primary and secondary windings or swap the dizzy with a friend's to see if the coil's f@cked.