Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way???

putting on slotted rotors and cant figure out which way theyre suppose to go. i looked at many pics and they have them going both ways. does it matter?!?

if im putting this one on..which way should the front of the car be? towards the left or right??

quick help would be awesome. thanks.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:35 PM
Farts in the shower

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (aboos)

I would think that the \ should go towards the front of the car...I think it'd be too abrasive and wouldn't work too well if the / were facing the front of the car.

Old 12-26-2006, 05:43 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (.ken)

see..i was thinkin the other way. so the lower part hits the brake pads first and pushes everything outward rather than inward.

so if i were installing the rotors with the slot going this way /, the front of the car would be towards the left.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (.ken)

like te one shown in the pic, i put it on the driver side
Old 12-26-2006, 05:46 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">like te one shown in the pic, i put it on the driver side</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, thats what im thinking.

anyone know for sure?
Old 12-26-2006, 06:14 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (aboos)

100% sure that the slots will point toward the front of the car. As stated earlier it is an abrasive but it is a directional abrasive, it will only work in one direction. The best way to explain it is that the rotor will try to pull the pad toward the center, closer to the rotor, causing the coefficient of friction to rise creating a higher braking force. When compared to placing the rotors on the opposite direction will push the pad outwards on the rotor towards the lip, reducing the amount of force applied on the rotor, causing the coefficient of friction to fall. Installing the rotors in the wrong direction can actually cause a decrease in performance from stock.

Just to clarify once again, the rotor pictured would be installed on the passenger side of the vehicle in the front of the vehicle were to the right in the picture.

Any questions ask away.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That one show that featured Dr. Charles (and the Honda Fit) had him put the rotor so that the top of the slot hits the pad first, not the bottom.

rotation --&gt;
/ []

/ = slot
[] = pad
Old 12-26-2006, 06:27 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That one show that featured Dr. Charles (and the Honda Fit) had him put the rotor so that the top of the slot hits the pad first, not the bottom.

rotation --&gt;
/ []

/ = slot
[] = pad</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, this place is shaping up. Last time I said this I had the entire EG forum whining telling me that I was wrong. I guess if I was I made enough money on my mistakes to buy a $50,000 truck.
Old 12-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

talked to brembo about this. The brake caliper grabs from top to bottom, so have the slots cut into the direction you are going.

like blueintegraboy said
Old 12-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (JDM-97CX)

+1 with the person with the MAC icon...i just figured out that anyone who is going to college can get 50% off on all MAC tool product.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (allricedout)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by allricedout &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
+1 with the person with the MAC icon...i just figured out that anyone who is going to college can get 50% off on all MAC tool product. </TD></TR></TABLE>

$30,000 in tools later and I still don't have enough. For those of us sticking out the hard times in the most expensive profession in the world. I feel the pain guys.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:02 PM

Default Re: (memorybox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by memorybox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">talked to brembo about this. The brake caliper grabs from top to bottom, so have the slots cut into the direction you are going.

like blueintegraboy said</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean like I said, before him, you know that big post with all the words you can't understand? That was me.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM-97CX)

exactly.. i think
Old 12-26-2006, 10:56 PM

Default Re: (memorybox)

nice..thanks guys. appreciate the help.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aboos)

Which direction should the discs rotate?

It is a popular misconception that the slots or drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:

Straight
Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Please see figure. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc's ability to dissipate heat.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the illustration above is correct.
I approve it
Old 12-27-2006, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (john666)

+10 for john666. it's all about the internal vanes, the rest is just for looks.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Wow, this place is shaping up. Last time I said this I had the entire EG forum whining telling me that I was wrong.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm right there with you...I used to post brake shots of JGTC cars with the slots forward...people STILL wouldn't agree.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:14 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (RC000E)

Old 12-27-2006, 07:40 AM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>

There ya go.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (RC000E)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RC000E &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm right there with you...I used to post brake shots of JGTC cars with the slots forward...people STILL wouldn't agree.</TD></TR></TABLE>
My brake rotors will go on either side because the INTERNAL VANES are straight. that is what matters for cooling, not which way the slots face. I think they just don't understand that so it's easier to say you're wrong.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:47 PM
I Deliver

You would be suprised at how many times I see rotors like that on the wrong way per day! lol props for asking and not looking like a jackass like 99.9% of the people i see w/ slotted rotors.
lister to john666
Old 12-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (BlueIntegraBoy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That one show that featured Dr. Charles (and the Honda Fit) had him put the rotor so that the top of the slot hits the pad first, not the bottom.</TD></TR></TABLE>

That guy is the ****, even though his shop used to keep me up all night with dyno runs haha. Trust Dr. Charles
Old 12-27-2006, 04:55 PM

Default Re: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way??? (brmiddle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brmiddle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My brake rotors will go on either side because the INTERNAL VANES are straight. that is what matters for cooling, not which way the slots face. I think they just don't understand that so it's easier to say you're wrong. </TD></TR></TABLE>

The slots on the rotor face are not for cooling, yes the internal vanes are but the slots on the face need to go a certain direction. I think you just don't understand that.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When you're looking at the slots make sure slots start from the bottom left and end up at the top right. Like this / / / / / / / / / , When you're looking at the disc brake you should see ///// slots. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: stupid question..so easy yet confused. slotted rotors..which way???