Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stupid Hood to bumper gap!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stupid Hood to bumper gap!!!!

Hey guys im sure all of us civic owners know how some cars (96-00) have a large gap from where the front of the hood and the bumper/grill line up. My 1999 Si has this gap and i cant figure out how to fix it. The bumper lines up fine with the quarter panels, and the hood lines up fine with the quarter panels but the hood doesnt line up with the bumper. Any tips? All gaps and fitments are nice and flush except the hood to bumper. Please help it pisses me off so much! Thanks
Old 06-15-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you loose the rubber fill material? my hood fits fine with my grill.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">did you loose the rubber fill material? my hood fits fine with my grill.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same here... any pics? Has the car been modified or in an accident?

Old 06-16-2005, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

ill get some pics to show you. Im not sure what rubber fill material your talking about?
Old 06-16-2005, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill get some pics to show you. Im not sure what rubber fill material your talking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

there is a rubber gasket that lines the inside edge of your hood:
http://www.hondaautomotivepart...=HOOD

part number 8

If you are missing that, then I would say that is where the problem lies.
Old 06-16-2005, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ill get some pics to show you. Im not sure what rubber fill material your talking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the pics in my sig. You'll see a closeup of the hood to grill gap. There is a rubber gasket in there (it's a bit tough to see though).

Old 06-16-2005, 07:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AutoXer)

yea i have the rubber lining im going to take a pic and post it to show you guys
Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Close up of pic 3

As you can see the bumper lines up fine everywhere besides with the hood. Also it was not always like this. It was fine untill someone backed into me lightly. There was no damage but the scratch you can see on the bumper and this gap. I dont see anything bent or anything though. If you look closely at picture three you can see the problem area. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:06 AM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i have the rubber lining im going to take a pic and post it to show you guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

It looks like it's missing.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As you can see the bumper lines up fine everywhere besides with the hood. Also it was not always like this. It was fine untill someone backed into me lightly. There was no damage but the scratch you can see on the bumper and this gap. I dont see anything bent or anything though. If you look closely at picture three you can see the problem area. Thanks for the help guys! </TD></TR></TABLE>

I would say what is in bold above is your problem, because the bumper was probably pushed downwards alittle from the impact, thus causing the gap in your bumper and hood. Even if nothing looks majorly bent or broken, it would be hard to notice (hardware wise) being that your **** looks like its only a few mm's off.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smithenhiven)

have u tried to adjust the rubber stops that are on the sides of the hood were it closes u can either tighten them to close more or undo them to make the gap bigger.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (smithenhiven)

heres under my hood. I thought you were talking about this. Am i missing it?

Old 06-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboxsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboxsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would say what is in bold above is your problem, because the bumper was probably pushed downwards alittle from the impact, thus causing the gap in your bumper and hood. Even if nothing looks majorly bent or broken, it would be hard to notice (hardware wise) being that your **** looks like its only a few mm's off. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly. Is there anyway to bend it back? The bumper hangs a little low but you cant push it up because all the mounting points are tight. Something is probably a little bent. I guess ill just have to mess around with it.

Modified by TurboEM1 at 10:11 AM 6/16/2005
Old 06-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (galaxykid70)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by galaxykid70 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have u tried to adjust the rubber stops that are on the sides of the hood were it closes u can either tighten them to close more or undo them to make the gap bigger.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i tried adjusting them and removing them. Its already on the lowest position. Also i did try adjusting the hood latch. It let the hood sit about 1mm lower. all i need is like 2 more mm before its perfect. Im going to take a real good look at what holds the bumper up and see what i can do. Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 06-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

have a turbo em1 huh? just playin, i would guess that when you got hit it bent the bumper where it connects you might want to take it off and from the back lightly heat it up with a hair dryer/heatgun and bend it a little
Old 06-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Soccerking3000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">have a turbo em1 huh? just playin, i would guess that when you got hit it bent the bumper where it connects you might want to take it off and from the back lightly heat it up with a hair dryer/heatgun and bend it a little</TD></TR></TABLE>

nope no turbo Plans have changed since i made this name. Anyway yea im thinking of bending stuff back. Ill just look to see what would straighten it out and bend it slightlky. Thanks for the help.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:42 AM

I think if you take the bumper off, and bend the front edge of the radiator core support up a little (by hand) it should bring it back up to where it should be.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:03 AM

My girlfriends 1994 ex was salvaged and the hood wouldn't line up with the aftermarket OEM front bumper. So what i did was take the metal bar (eg models) that goes over the top of the bumper where the five or six screws are and put it between the bumper and the car rather than over it. I realize it probably supports better over the bumper but i stacked 2 of the metal brackets under the bumper and now the gap is perfect between hood and front bumper.
So i see in the pic there is a black plastic peice that goes in the same location. Try putting that between rather than on top of the bumper. Keep in mind this was done on an EG so it might not work on EK. But might as well try.
Sean
Old 06-16-2005, 11:49 AM
cool guy name

Default Re: (EG_Black_Hatch)

bend the metal tabs on each side of the grill that your bumper bolts to up a bit.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:51 AM

move the latch on the hood down....
Old 06-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (wilsel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wilsel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think if you take the bumper off, and bend the front edge of the radiator core support up a little (by hand) it should bring it back up to where it should be.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im going to try and bend the core support back up. thanks<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blahhhhhhhh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">move the latch on the hood down....</TD></TR></TABLE>

did that. it helped a little bit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_Black_Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My girlfriends 1994 ex was salvaged and the hood wouldn't line up with the aftermarket OEM front bumper. So what i did was take the metal bar (eg models) that goes over the top of the bumper where the five or six screws are and put it between the bumper and the car rather than over it. I realize it probably supports better over the bumper but i stacked 2 of the metal brackets under the bumper and now the gap is perfect between hood and front bumper.
So i see in the pic there is a black plastic peice that goes in the same location. Try putting that between rather than on top of the bumper. Keep in mind this was done on an EG so it might not work on EK. But might as well try.
Sean </TD></TR></TABLE>

That would work on lining the grill up but not the bumper. ill try that if all esle fails thanks.
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by walker111 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bend the metal tabs on each side of the grill that your bumper bolts to up a bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i was also thinking that. thanks
Old 06-16-2005, 05:27 PM

might have to trim the holes where the bolts go into the latch....to move it down more