Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stumped on a d16z6 overheat

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 12:17 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stumped on a d16z6 overheat

My lil d16 has been getting quite hot lately.
Driving thru some twistys I noticed that the temp was high, and after monitoring it on the way back to my garage the needle was in between the limit and red.

In the past I replaced the upper & lower radiator hoses, and the hose that runs from the block right under the distributor to the cab. Caps and hoses dont leak, im placing a termo in today, the person who I bought it from was unaware of the act that there wasn't one in before.(but a open loop never caused overheating did it?)

The upper and lower hoses hold pressure during and after operation, the radiator fan kicks on. The drvie belts are in perfect tension, the water pump is new(<10k miles) as is the radiator and fan.

A few questions

Is it normal for there to be steamy coolant after ~30 min, I took the cap off while the system was still fairly pressurized.(taking into account covering myself for burns, not a dumbass) And there was a medium smoke(in terms of thickness) willowing out.

I filled up the overflow resovior to between min/max last time I changed the oil/coolant. I checked it today and its empty, but the level in the radiator was close to the cap.

What is a usual reading for the engines temp in terms of the gauge, over the mild winter we get in florida the temp was a little above 1/3, steady, even when I was having fun with vtec and the curves. With the ac on and the temp rising it usually sits at about 2/3 and sometimes above.

Any suggestions on where else to look?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stumped on a d16z6 overheat

you have a blown head gasket
Old 03-18-2009, 12:24 PM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

replace the head bolts too or use arp studs.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

a few things...

1) is there oil resedue or grease on the bottom of your oil cap.. if so, your hedgasket is going.

2) fill your over flow all the way.... to the high line.. and after u drive u go out and water is over flowing...... Blown head gasket

3) does your fan turn on? to check this, un plug your fan switch (located off thermostat housing) jump the connection with anything metal. withthe car in the on poistion, the fan shouldturn on. ( if the fan does not turn on... you may have a bad fan switch)

4) if it is blown, it is always a good idea to pick up a dual core radiator if youare driving hard anywyas....

Originally Posted by Dybowski
My lil d16 has been getting quite hot lately.
Driving thru some twistys I noticed that the temp was high, and after monitoring it on the way back to my garage the needle was in between the limit and red.

In the past I replaced the upper & lower radiator hoses, and the hose that runs from the block right under the distributor to the cab. Caps and hoses dont leak, im placing a termo in today, the person who I bought it from was unaware of the act that there wasn't one in before.(but a open loop never caused overheating did it?)

The upper and lower hoses hold pressure during and after operation, the radiator fan kicks on. The drvie belts are in perfect tension, the water pump is new(<10k miles) as is the radiator and fan.

A few questions

Is it normal for there to be steamy coolant after ~30 min, I took the cap off while the system was still fairly pressurized.(taking into account covering myself for burns, not a dumbass) And there was a medium smoke(in terms of thickness) willowing out.

I filled up the overflow resovior to between min/max last time I changed the oil/coolant. I checked it today and its empty, but the level in the radiator was close to the cap.

What is a usual reading for the engines temp in terms of the gauge, over the mild winter we get in florida the temp was a little above 1/3, steady, even when I was having fun with vtec and the curves. With the ac on and the temp rising it usually sits at about 2/3 and sometimes above.

Any suggestions on where else to look?