Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stumped on CEL, are you smart enough?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stumped on CEL, are you smart enough?

ok guys im totally stumped on the problem. Here is the background info

1995 Civic
JDM b16a
Stock intake, ebay headers, exhaust, ect.
ITR IM and TB

I recently took the IM off for cleaning, i cleaned the inside with some carb/choke cleaner, and reinstalled... I had problems putting the connectors back on because my bumbass didnt lable the TPS, map, injector wires. After messing with them for a little bit i finally got them right, but the car has a CEL now. The CEL is code 14 i believe, It is the Electronic Air Control Valve.

The IACV does not have coolant lines going to it, nor did it ever, and ive never had a CEL from it. The weird thing is, when i pulled the vac line going from the IM to the FPR and started the car, it idles all fucked up, but THERE IS NO CEL!!! Wtf could that mean? The IACV has a small peice of cardboard like paper used as a gasket to completly block it off from the IM, again, its always been like that, no problems until now..

Im starting to get pissed of as i do not know WTF is wrong, and im **** about CELs. It does affect driving a little bit. When the CEL is on The car will not stay at a constant speed, it has to either accellerate, or decellerate.. Sometimes after i drive the car for like an hour and it COMPLETLY warms up, if i shut the car off and turn it right back on, the CEL is gone for a little while, then comes on randomly..

Pleast HT, help me out, i know yall are smart enough

Thanks in advance,

mike
Old 05-29-2007, 06:13 PM

Default Re: stumped on CEL, are you smart enough? (slowteg90)

bump 4 help
Old 05-29-2007, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Electronic air control valve? The only bell that rings for me is the extra butterflys inside the stock GSR manifold that engage at 4400 or so RPM, are you sure you arent running a P75 (GSR ecu i beleive). As for your IAC not having coolant lines going to it, thats a way to fool the idle in some cases if you have a broken IAC, its not all to sensible tho. If you arent using the IAC, that is a sure way to start messing with and confusing your cars ECU. You should have that fully hooked up, or else things might not run right.
Old 05-29-2007, 06:15 PM

first of all just hook up the IACV correctly and see if your code goes away.. its there for a reason..
Old 05-29-2007, 06:38 PM

Default Re: (Inliner)

^ that would be a great idea if the coolant lines were still there, they have been removed by the previous owner... oh btw, its a Crome chipped P28
Old 05-29-2007, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

first off do not pay any attention to the code cause obd1 is nothing like obd2 you could be running around forever trying to diag something on a obd1 car based off of the code. The main thing you want to do is get you a wiring diagram for your motor verify you got all your **** hooked up right, then in the process make sure you didnt bend any of the pins in the connector cause even the slightest bend will cause high resistance and not give the right signal to the computer. and then if all that checks out then try and get hold of specs or testing procedures from all data or mitchell from there you can verify your sensors are working properly last but not least do a continuity test across each individual wire from the component to ecu or power or ground most wires will not have more than .05 ohms of resistance and anything above 1 ohm should be checked for corosion, pinched wires, bad connectors and so fourth. if it was running fine before you did anything then its something you did so just back track and find it.

good luck
Old 05-30-2007, 02:41 AM

Default Re: stumped on CEL, are you smart enough? (gsrhatch2356)

Ive tested the TPS and its connector already, they both checked out perfectly. Can anyoen explain why the CEL goes off when the car is fully warmed up? By me mixing up the TPS and MAP connectors could that have harmed anything?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:40 AM

bump
Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take off the iac and clean it out with some cleaner and put it back on. and check and see if you have the right plug on it and its not the evap purge solenoid plug
Old 05-30-2007, 06:43 PM

Default Re: stumped on CEL, are you smart enough? (fmrprojects)

^ will do that tomorrow, now that i think of it, maybe the EVAP purge plug is swapped around, i never checked that. Thanks again guys, let hear some more thoughts!!
Old 05-31-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Re: stumped on CEL, are you smart enough? (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">take off the iac and clean it out with some cleaner and put it back on. and check and see if you have the right plug on it and its not the evap purge solenoid plug</TD></TR></TABLE>

You sir are correct. my dumb *** had the EVAP purge and teh IACV swapped around.... thank you alot!