Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stuck! Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stuck! Need help!

Hey, guys! My friend has a '94 Accord EX (not that model matters) with 4-wheel discs. We were going to change her rear pads today, but came across a problem...
One stud on each tire in the rear came loose, so we couldn't get the tire off. I recently (a few months ago) encountered the same problem on my ITR. However, I took off the other nuts, allowing me to put the weight of the car on that one loose stud, tighten the nut up enough to pull the stud back through the hub, and then use an impact wrench to fnally get the lug off. I'm not sure if the Accord's lugnuts are cross-threaded or not, but the same technique I ued in the past didn't work this time; the studs just continue to spin. I was thinking about buying a 3/4" nut splitter, but I don't know if that will work, either. Are there ANY other options? Please, ANY advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Stuck! Need help! (itr590)

if you have access to an Oxy-Acetlyne torch and are pretty handy with it you can actually remove the lugnut/stud by melting them out without harming the wheel in any way. All you need to do is go buy 2 tubes of Permatex ULTRA RED High temp RTV and put it in about a 5" circle 1/4" thick all around the lugnut and hole. Everywhere you do not want burned, put RTV there. Slowly torch through the lugnut and stud until the wheel falls off, then use some plastic razorblades to remove the red RTV. The hardest part of this method is getting the red RTV back off the wheel...but the finish will not be harmed.

The above method is for an Alloy wheel. If it's a steel wheel, just torch it out and hit the wheel with some flat black rustolem when you're done. Just be cautious, it's pretty easy.

The final real option is to Drill the lugnut and stud out until you can break it free. Which is a complete pain in the ***. I've done them all, and I'll tell you from experience that trying to use a nut breaker on an automotive lugnut will not work 99% of the time.

-Froth