Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stuck with a d16z6...... what to do....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stuck with a d16z6...... what to do....

here's the thing all my friends have turbo cars sti,evo and gti i have a one turbo s13 too, but it's for drift setup and my Eg is DD since gas is soo expensive. Well my friends say my eg is slow, but idk what i can do with a d series, i mean turbo, headers and cold air intake wouldn't do much am i right? I might as well just go with b18b1 swap and boost it, but that would be in a long run. So should i do? just keep my d series or try to find a b18b1 and just rebuild it. and hopefully one day i have money to boost it and tune it and kill these sti,evo and gti? i mean i'm already paranoid this car might be jacked!!!! "knock on wood"
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: stuck with a d16z6...... what to do.... (Projectjdm4)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projectjdm4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">here's the thing all my friends have turbo cars sti,evo and gti i have a one turbo s13 too, but it's for drift setup and my Eg is DD since gas is soo expensive. Well my friends say my eg is slow, but idk what i can do with a d series, i mean turbo, headers and cold air intake wouldn't do much am i right? I might as well just go with b18b1 swap and boost it, but that would be in a long run. So should i just keep my d series or try to find a b18b1 and just rebuild it. and hopefully one day i have money to boost it and tune it and kill these sti,evo and gti? i mean i'm already paranoid this car might be jacked!!!! "knock on wood"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Explain to me how many headers you plan on putting on the car, then explain to me how you plan on putting a turbo and headers (multiple) on your car. Then on top of that, explain which cold air intake for a turbo build for a civic you plan on buying.

A turbo wouldn't do much??? This is not need for speed underground, chief, you can crank enough power outta that Z6 on stock internals for 1500-2k by boosting it to almost keep up or beat your homies' sti's and evos and ****.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:52 PM

i ment just basic headers, cold air intake and etc and what not. ya 1,500 to 2k, but how long will the single cam last i've heard alot of z6 being turboed, but blown up. 2k might as well go with ls and just put in extra for tunning and turbo am i right? i mean everyone is doing the ls T
Old 11-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Projectjdm4)

OMFG... srry man put on your flame suit. no such thing as headerS on a 4 cylinder honda.. just a header. and on turbo cars there cant be a header... but a turbo manifold. just helpin ya out.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projectjdm4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ment just basic headers, cold air intake and etc and what not. ya 1,500 to 2k, but how long will the single cam last i've heard alot of z6 being turboed, but blown up. 2k might as well go with ls and just put in extra for tunning and turbo am i right? i mean everyone is doing the ls T</TD></TR></TABLE>

Basic header, cold air intake, etc. (bolt-ons) what do jack ******* **** for that engine, so don't bother.

On the flipside, if the engine is in good condition you can boost it to 200hp at the wheels on a good tune and it'll last forever, I just wouldn't push it much past 200 or so if you beat on it a lot, and obviously the tune is the most important part.

I don't know what the average evo/sti hp at the wheels are, but it's probably around 250 or so, but that's plus the weight of a bigger car, transfer case, rear diff, etc. You can def. hang with them dropping 200-220 on a great tune and it'll last awhile. The engine longevity will depend on four things:
1) How well the engine is maintained
2) How the car is driven (granny vs racing to the redlight)
3) How much HP you're putting through it (I wouldn't push it much above 200, 210)
4) How good the tune/build is

(Not necessarily in that order)
Old 11-08-2007, 10:58 PM

my bad thats what i ment &gt;.&lt; just got home from work tired.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

my buddies sti w/ exhaust and down pipe was 246 at the wheels.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93egSLEEPER)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93egSLEEPER &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">my buddies sti w/ exhaust and down pipe was 246 at the wheels.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya, crankin out ~30-50hp less with a ~1000lb weight advantage will put you in the same category (and above).
Old 11-08-2007, 11:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

In for the responses.

My suggestion to you: Do your homework, and you'll find that a lot of what you're planning is not compatible. I'm sorry, but you just blurted some bullshit out of your ***, showing that you do not grasp the very basic concepts of bolt-on automotive upgrades. I hope you can tolerate the lashing that you'll be receiving, and still manage to be doing your homework.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 PM

talking to me? my bad i'm noob to hondas
Old 11-08-2007, 11:04 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: stuck with a d16z6...... what to do.... (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Explain to me how many headers you plan on putting on the car, then explain to me how you plan on putting a turbo and headers (multiple) on your car. Then on top of that, explain which cold air intake for a turbo build for a civic you plan on buying.

A turbo wouldn't do much??? This is not need for speed underground, chief, you can crank enough power outta that Z6 on stock internals for 1500-2k by boosting it to almost keep up or beat your homies' sti's and evos and ****.</TD></TR></TABLE>

remote mount turbo.

cold air intake will fit on the turbine housing....no need for it but itll fit....

btw most factory turbo cars run intakes on their turbos.....not a good thing to suck up rocks into the turbo.....granted a fileter. screen, or sock can do the same

--------------
im sure the op didnt know any of that......i just plain dont like people like who who have never done **** and comment about other peoples set ups
Old 11-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stuck with a d16z6...... what to do.... (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

remote mount turbo.

cold air intake will fit on the turbine housing....no need for it but itll fit....

btw most factory turbo cars run intakes on their turbos.....not a good thing to suck up rocks into the turbo.....granted a fileter. screen, or sock can do the same </TD></TR></TABLE>

They generally run short ram intakes, not cold air intakes, a cold air intake is specifically designed for mid-upper torque band power by locating the air filter as far away from the engine as possible (usually in the fender). Most aftermarket turbo builds are equipped with a short ram intake which just serves the purpose of bringing in air, filtered.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are anywhere near tacoma you need to take a stop by speedfactory and check out some hondas... they will teach/help you with whatever you need.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projectjdm4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">talking to me? my bad i'm noob to hondas </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah. Nah, it's okay if you're new, you just need to do your research. Take a look at the Forced Induction section. You'll find that there are good results given by turbo D series engines. Either way, you need to research how the system works before you just try and put it on.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:12 PM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: stuck with a d16z6...... what to do.... (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They generally run short ram intakes, not cold air intakes, a cold air intake is specifically designed for mid-upper torque band power by locating the air filter as far away from the engine as possible (usually in the fender). Most aftermarket turbo builds are equipped with a short ram intake which just serves the purpose of bringing in air, filtered. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you can use either or......depends on where your turbo is located....seriously the only diffrence between a cold air and a short ram is where the filter is located..

but here is something for ya.....my freinds 500whp srt-4 aem cold air intake

Old 11-08-2007, 11:13 PM

i am doing research. but ya either way having a good set up for your car i still would be paranoid about having all that money put into the car all stolen. I mean i've seen alot of hondas stolen like no other no matter how secure the car is. well that's another story. i mean i love the d series it gets me around, but don't love it enough into putting 2k into it, but i guess i'll be upgrading to the LS. and doing researching how to build it up for boost. "sometimes i wish i knew alot about hondas just as much as i kno about nissans"
Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Projectjdm4 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i am doing research. but ya either way having a good set up for your car i still would be paranoid about having all that money put into the car all stolen. I mean i've seen alot of hondas stolen like no other no matter how secure the car is. well that's another story. i mean i love the d series it gets me around, but don't love it enough into putting 2k into it, but i guess i'll be upgrading to the LS. and doing researching how to build it up for boost. "somtimes i wish i knew hondas just as much as i kno about nissans"</TD></TR></TABLE>

cough cough do the swap i DID
Old 11-08-2007, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suicide_shift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you can use either or......depends on where your turbo is located....seriously the only diffrence between a cold air and a short ram is where the filter is located..

but here is something for ya.....my freinds 500whp srt-4 aem cold air intake</TD></TR></TABLE>

SRT-4 comes stock turbocharged if I'm not mistaken.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

They generally run short ram intakes, not cold air intakes, a cold air intake is specifically designed for mid-upper torque band power by locating the air filter as far away from the engine as possible (usually in the fender). Most aftermarket turbo builds are equipped with a short ram intake which just serves the purpose of bringing in air, filtered. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I realize they make them for stock turbo builds, hence why I specified "most aftermarket turbo builds."

remote mount turbo.

btw most factory turbo cars run intakes on their turbos.....not a good thing to suck up rocks into the turbo.....granted a fileter. screen, or sock can do the same

--------------
im sure the op didnt know any of that......i just plain dont like people like who who have never done **** and comment about other peoples set ups </TD></TR></TABLE>

Again with the factory bullshit which I specifically specified out of my generalization.

Whatever, I'm not in a mood to prove I'm right, peace.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:34 PM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SRT-4 comes stock turbocharged if I'm not mistaken.

I realize they make them for stock turbo builds, hence why I specified "most aftermarket turbo builds."

Again with the factory bullshit which I specifically specified out of my generalization.

Whatever, I'm not in a mood to prove I'm right, peace. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i belive his

AGP 50TRIM KIT is a hefty upgrade from stock making it an aftermarket turbo build and the AEM wasnt stock so i dont see how his car is all stock still

Old 11-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (suicide_shift)

i belive his

AGP 50TRIM KIT is a hefty upgrade from stock making it an aftermarket turbo build and the AEM wasnt stock so i dont see how his car is all stock still

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said stock I said factory, get it through your head.

And changing the turbo doesn't move it from the factory location.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

slap a turbo on that z6

Old 11-09-2007, 01:18 AM

i dont know man a Z6 is probably the best d series to turbo and if you do it right you talking good numbers, not on stock internals, anyways do your hw like everyone else and don't bash on the z6 because its a dam good motor for its price, and your car being stolen wont matter if you decide to put a ls or a z6 never the less its the same, your see the cars stolen a lot in cali because its crazy over there your in wa it might be better, but if your car is going to get stolen there is not much you can do, but make sure it doesent get stolen, if you leave your car with nothing on it in a bad neighborhood then don't expect to see it the next day unless you know people around that way that know your car, its just life, you cant go through life thinking that if you go outside your going to die, you just have to go outside and not think about it.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:59 AM

Default Re: (Historyg)

To OP,

The only way you can make some decent numbers on a D16z6 would be to build the internals to be able to withstand the horsepower you're putting out.

I was considering to boost my d series, but it makes more sense to me to get an engine that can crank better and handle more boost on stock internals (poor college student )

You might be better off going with a b18b and a ls tranny. I don't have first hand experience with these but there's talk of the engines being a boost's best friend and the tranny is well geared for the acceleration..

just my 02
Old 11-09-2007, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slacks)

I seriously have no comment.... did I just read the original post correctly?! And the **** robbed half my name.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

build a d series and boost it and it will haul ***, end of story

Quick Reply: stuck with a d16z6...... what to do....