Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strut Tower bar and allignment

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2002, 10:32 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Tower bar and allignment

Well a couple years ago I installed a strut tower bar on my 99 Civic EX. I then had to replace my stock tires. Mainly because they were worn heavily on the insides. (mostly on the front, right) Now I don't know if I had this problem before, but I know I have it now. I had the tires replaced, and while they had it they put it on the rack and check the alignment. They told me the camber was off, that I was so far off that they couldn't adjust it with the stock adjustments. I have never been in an accident and I bought the car new. They wanted me to spend some $400 to get the camber kit and everything. I bought the tires and told them to scew off... I then took the car to Honda and they told me everything was fine. Fine then... well shortly after my tires continued to wear on the insides. So now that I have gone through those tires pretty quickly. I just bought some snow tires to get me to the summer. My question has anybody else seen this problem? My friend has a Subaru Imprezza, when he put his strut tower bar on he started having the same problem as me. Now I haven't gotten access to an alignment rack yet to actually test to see if the bar effects anything with it on or off.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:51 AM
New User

Default Re: Strut Tower bar and allignment (99VTECex)

I had the same wear problem on my 94 ex. I had to get a camber kit since I was going through tires once every 4 months. The insides wore so bad steel was showing. I would get the camber kit since you are seeing evidence that your camber is off by the uneven wear on the tires. By the way, go through http://www.ardperformance.com for the Ingalls camber kit. I think it only ran me about $265 all the way around.
Old 01-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How did you mount your adjustable strut bar!?!

Did you have all the weight off of the back of the car with the back jacked up and then properly adjust the bar to the lengh or did you just throw the bar on the car with it on the ground?
Old 01-07-2002, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut Tower bar and allignment (Spade)

If you install a front bar do you need the rear to be off the ground too or just the front?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2002, 11:06 AM
Trial User

What I would do is have a place with good alighnment equipment check what your specs are, toe, and camber most importantly. I'm not aware of any camber adjusment provisions on factory hondas, if it is out then maybe something in your suspension is damaged?
Find out how far out of spec your alighment is, I find it funny that the honda dealer would say it is fine and a shop tell you it is that far off.
I can't imagine that a strut tower bar would cause ailgnment to get screwed up that badly, if any at all.
When I got my car ailignment done the back tires wore a little bit quicker on the inside when everything was stock, but ironically after I lowered it with sportlines and got the ailignment done, the wear has stopped on the back without a camber kit, but I never asked for what my specs were.
Old 01-07-2002, 12:00 PM
New User

Default Re: Strut Tower bar and allignment (mps9506)

Ok so it is a front strut tower bar.... so does all the weight need to be removed from the tire? Or does the car need to be level? I need to know...

Thanks
Old 01-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

First off is the strut bar adjustable....my guess is yes.

If so, then both tires need to be off the ground use the jack points and place stands there......suspension needs to be unsupported and free.

Edit: If you install front only front needs to be off the ground the back will not effect the suspension in the front.

[Modified by Spade, 1:06 PM 1/7/2002]