Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strut problem NEED HELP what should I do

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut problem NEED HELP what should I do

I had a guy that i knew that is a mechanic put in my rear KYBs and GCs during work and after driving home it was really really bumpy and made alot of weird noise so I popped my trunk and found this:

Any help would be appriciated really want to go to marcus diary tomorrow thanx guys
Old 06-17-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut problem NEED HELP what should I do (Themouse)

WTF did he do, leave your strut caps (top hats) off?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A closer view of the passenger side would be nice. Removing the bag would be a plus, also.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut problem NEED HELP what should I do (umop-apisdn)

the top hat is on its really weird i mean he just didn't screw the stut onto anythign is what it looks like to me
Old 06-17-2006, 07:03 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He installed them 100% improperly because he's a ******* moron. Show him this thread, tell him to read the instructions next time he can't assmble a MacPhearson strut, and charge him for the pair of blown shocks you probably have. Seriously: I do this every week and it takes me about an hour to do the entire car, correctly, every time.

"Mechanic". Yeah, right.

That first picture is classic, "Ooops, I left some of the hardware out from around the bushings because I thought I knew what I was doing and didn't want to read the instructions."
Old 06-17-2006, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut problem NEED HELP what should I do (Archidictus)

thanx for the help but umm heres another pic if it helps anyone, but umm what should i do like do u think the shock is definitaly blown but anything that i should do would be a great help thanx again guys

Old 06-17-2006, 07:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not actually a mcpherson strut they were brought about in the honda world after the integra died. it refers to the design of the suspension where there is no upper control arm. on our cars we have what is called unequal length a/i arms and a DAMPENER
Old 06-17-2006, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks like he installed everything, just not in the correct order. Both shocks are worthless. The piston has been rubbing against the interior of the tophat and is scratched. Even if it was re-installed correctly it will leak within a few hundred miles, probably less.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:29 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Themouse &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanx for the help but umm heres another pic if it helps anyone, but umm what should i do like do u think the shock is definitaly blown but anything that i should do would be a great help thanx again guys</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would go into the situation assuming that the struts are blown. Call the mechanic and see if he'll come take a look at his handiwork and if not, tell him you're having it towed to his shop at his expense and that he's going to buy you new shocks and install them for free.

Man, he put those together 100% incorrectly. What the expletive was he thinking?
Old 06-17-2006, 07:32 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Strut problem NEED HELP what should I do (CBEengineering)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CBEengineering &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not actually a mcpherson strut they were brought about in the honda world after the integra died. it refers to the design of the suspension where there is no upper control arm. on our cars we have what is called unequal length a/i arms and a DAMPENER</TD></TR></TABLE>

A.) it's a "damper" not a "dampener"

B.) I don't know about you, but my 93 Si has MP struts front and rear. There are no upper arms that connect to the strut. There's a front control arm that holds the spindle up, but it doesn't affect the suspension travel in any way other than allowing it to move in a single plain - up and down - without falling off the car.

Unequal A-arms appear on cars like the Corvette. Our struts connect directly to the unibody, not to a control arm.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

looks to me like he forgot a couple washers on the strut, i'd leave it as is and take plenty of pictures from the bottom as well and either have it towed to the shop or consult an attorney.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Default Re: (instrument)

it looks like that thick washer that the bump stop goes agent is missing, the one that goes on first. #13 or 8 on the diagram it slides down only so far because the shaft is tapered and i believe it what keeps the assembly together. I'd agree and consult an attorny, he fucked up and he owes you for it, he should be lucky that you didn't happen to get into an accident because of it
Old 06-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would go into the situation assuming that the struts are blown. Call the mechanic and see if he'll come take a look at his handiwork and if not, tell him you're having it towed to his shop at his expense and that he's going to buy you new shocks and install them for free.

Man, he put those together 100% incorrectly. What the expletive was he thinking?</TD></TR></TABLE>

idk if id have him install them again
Old 06-17-2006, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (aallbbeerrtttttt)

thanx for all of the help guys so my shocks are pretty much gone or not becuase the guy who did them did them on the side and only charged me 60 bucks becuase i know him very well but I shouldn't drive my car anywhere right thanx
Old 06-17-2006, 09:29 PM

Default Re: (Themouse)

That guy is no mechanic, he is a complete RETARD! I would be scared for him to even LOOK at my car if he can't even figure that out. You put them back the way they were taken off... DUH. I feel bad for you, don't ever let him touch your car again.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sniggler316)

yeah i mean i'm just so fustrated but are my struts gone
Old 06-17-2006, 09:38 PM

Default Re: (Themouse)

I'd say yes. If you are able, take them apart and see if they still rebound when you push them all the way in. E#ither way, like someone else said they will probably start leaking after awhile even if they aren't totally fucked. You may be able to put them back together correctly and drive on them for awhile if it is a money issue. This time, I would do it myself though. Get a Chiltons or something they have a pretty good suspension section and it isn't that difficult. It would be easier if both sides weren't fucked because if you got stuck, you could look at the other side and see what went where but you should be able to figure it out from the pic that is in this thread.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sniggler316)

Ok thanx alot for the help yeah i guess i shouldn't drive my car around and i'm gunna talk to this "mechanic" that i know and see what he'll do if not i'll just put the stock ones back in for now