Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strut bars make much difference?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut bars make much difference?

I'm interested in tightening up my handling even more. Right now I have eibach sportlines and koni reds. I was wondering how much difference front and back strut bars really make. Let me know what experience you have had!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (blackcivic44)

1000 of people will tell you they work. they have been hit with the "PLACEBO EFFECT"

they don't do ****.

on a car with STRUTS they might to something. are civic have DAMPERS
Old 08-15-2004, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well after purchasing my first front strut bar for my eg si, it handled a whole lot better...those turns you could only do 35 on, you could now do 50 no problem(with stock suspension i should add) Its a great upgrade for handling! Go for it!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (slammed_93_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammed_93_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1000 of people will tell you they work. they have been hit with the "PLACEBO EFFECT"

they don't do ****.

on a car with STRUTS they might to something. are civic have DAMPERS</TD></TR></TABLE>

i beg to differ...
Old 08-15-2004, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (civicboisi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicboisi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i beg to differ...</TD></TR></TABLE>

what the hell are you gona differ about? the fact that you HAVE ABSOLUTLY zero test besides some freeway off ramp bull ****?

i have seen chassi dyno's and they don't do much at all.

im talking about maybe a millimeter difference in deflection. which is not an substantal about at all.

it is possible for one to do or design something that could be alil more effective but its really not worth the time or effort.

and the thing other people bring up is "oo well such and such race car has it"

well race cars get sponsorships, sponsors give them free stuff they put it on becuase if they don't there sponsor wont give them money. the sponsor do it because people see that race cars have it and go put it on them self.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (civicboisi)

if you dont have swaybars yet, i would recommend buying swaybars over strut bars, you will notice a huge improvement in handling with the sways
Old 08-15-2004, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (Geeky_Gambit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Geeky_Gambit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you dont have swaybars yet, i would recommend buying swaybars over strut bars, you will notice a huge improvement in handling with the sways</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm going to agree with this. I can honestly say that I only bought my strut and tie bars for the "bling" effect. They were cheap, and I could add them to my mod list. I'm not afraid to admit it. In certain instances, I can feel them work, but this is only when angling up driveways or something. In actual turns, they didn't do anything. My rear anti-sway bar, however, made a world of difference.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:43 PM
B A N N E D

They work wonders.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (Daniel)

i agree swaybars make a big difference, i had the rear adjustable bar from progress and loved it. but as for the strut tower braces, i had front upper and rear upper skunk2, skunk2 rear lower and carbing front lower bars. didnt notice a big difference when i first put them on, but when i took off the front and rear upper bars before selling my civic, turn-in felt a little slower to me, and it wasnt placebo.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:46 PM

I think it depends on brands.. I had a Neuspeed front upper bar and I could definitly feel it while going through tight turns, with stock suspension even. Then I got a b16b and the oil cap rubbed on it, so I sold it and bought an Aerospeed (looks like a DC one) and didn't feel much of a difference. I then got both rear ones (Neuspeed and Eibach) and could feel the tail come around tighter, and no I wasn't imagining things.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (Ricochet.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricochet. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think it depends on brands.. I had a Neuspeed front upper bar and I could definitly feel it while going through tight turns, with stock suspension even. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Depends on the brand? I also use a Neuspeed front strut bar as well as a Cusco front tie bar and a Tanabe rear strut bar.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:02 PM

well, sucks for you that my car handles better than yours I guess.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricochet. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, sucks for you that my car handles better than yours I guess.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Who said anything about my car not handling well? I said that the strut bars and tie bars didn't do much. That doesn't mean my car is sloppy in the turns.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:05 PM

Blah blah, blah.
Blah, blah blah blah blah, blah..
Old 08-15-2004, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

On a race track with a race car where you need every single bit of stiffness to equate to better traction, response and overall ridged chassis then I’m sure there are bars designed to work.
On the street your money is better spent elsewhere.

Sway bars, Good dampers and springs will make a world of difference on your street car.

Even if these bars made a difference, do you really need “all you can get” out of you car that you maybe take through a canyon every once and a while?

Just my opinion.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blackcivic44 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm interested in tightening up my handling even more. Right now I have eibach sportlines and koni reds. I was wondering how much difference front and back strut bars really make. Let me know what experience you have had!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Move to a better shock and spring combo. Maybe koni yellows and GC's.

Look into a front and rear (or just the rear) sway bar setup.

That will make a Huge difference over a few tie bars.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have front and rear strut bars. no they don't make a difference. they look good and thats about it. if they do make a difference i didn't notice it.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (jbscivichb92)

If they don't make a difference, then why did Honda use strut bars on some of their cars?
Old 08-16-2004, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't driven my car without its front upper strut, but i did buy an aftermarket skunk2 rear lower tie bar.

Looks good, but that's pretty much about all it does. I have noticed no increase in handling, then of course i didn't expect much. I regret the purchase.
Old 08-16-2004, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (DJ_SaNdOz)

If they don't make a difference, then why did Honda use strut bars on some of their cars?

I agree..
Old 08-16-2004, 05:30 AM

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (sceg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sceg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i agree swaybars make a big difference, i had the rear adjustable bar from progress and loved it. but as for the strut tower braces, i had front upper and rear upper skunk2, skunk2 rear lower and carbing front lower bars. didnt notice a big difference when i first put them on, but when i took off the front and rear upper bars before selling my civic, turn-in felt a little slower to me, and it wasnt placebo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i say that they only improve handling significantly when you have nice coilovers .. i bought all three bars (1 in the hood, 2 in the rear) and used them when i had my stock suspensions in.. it made a lil bit of difference. and then i got TEIN super street full coilovers put in.. nice aggressive adjustable drop.. and that's when the improved handling kicked in. and when i say improved, i mean you will feel tha car shift less when taking sharp turns. youll feel the difference when you drive your car with the bars and if you drive the same car with just the struts on em.

if i was you, invest on the TEIN suspensions.. (do it right the first time so there's less headaches) then just buy the ebay bars. that's what i did. i read somewhere that the difference in performance between the ebay ones and the brand name titanium ones arent even that much felt, unless you autocross. i use ebay bars with the TEINs, and it handles great. i got a 95 civic coupe. hope this helps. let me know if you got any other questions.
Old 08-16-2004, 06:56 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Strut bars make much difference? (JinDIESEL)

this has been beaten to death for years. struts do nothing on honda's. end of story.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:02 AM

i'm so lost, so many mixed stories
Old 08-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (swatdog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by swatdog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm so lost, so many mixed stories</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, seriously
Old 08-16-2004, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (swatdog)

wow, thanks for all the replies.... who agrees with the idea that <U>swaybars</U> do make a difference? I'm not planning on upgrading my shock/spring combo any time soon since i'm in the middle of putting together a turbo kit. Are swaybars going to be worth my money? Will I feel a difference?

Quick Reply: Strut bars make much difference?