Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stronger V-Tec question...

Old 03-05-2003, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stronger V-Tec question...

Arright, I have a friend that has a 1992 cx hatch with a with a d15 v-tec E engine swap. I think the engine is like 98HP. The thing is, all he has is an exaust, header, and cold air intake, but when he's racing and his v-tec kick in, it seriously feel like forced induction boost or something. Its like strong as hell. I have a d16z6 engine in a 1994 civic coupe and my v-tec is way weaker than his. What the hell can you do to the engine to make v-tec be that dam strong. He has no aftermarket electrical stuff, so its not something that was programmed into the engine. I'm not saying make v-tec a dam turbo or something, just asking how to make it as strong as his v-tec. I'm not trying to sound special, I seriously want to know.

SleepinEh your right, its a d15, sorry.

And but I'm not just talking about the sound. I've rode in it and it actually pulls really hard.

[Modified by kay_animation, 11:20 PM 3/5/2003]
Old 03-05-2003, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Stronger V-Tec question... (kay_animation)

riase your compression with carbon buildup
Old 03-05-2003, 02:10 PM

His motor may have less wear on it, which would make it stronger then a motor that was beat on. It also might be a beast from the factory, all motors from the factory are not all alike. Also his one big thing would be his car is lighter then yours. My b18c in my hatch feels stronger then b18c in an integra.

mike
Old 03-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It's the weight difference, And you probably hear his vtec more because of the I/H/E , which makes you think it kicks in harder.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

d16 vtec-e??? vtec-e engines are 1.5 liters so itd have d15 on the block unless he put a vtec e head on a d16 block either way, i put a d16z in my 95 cx(lightest of 92-95 civics minus the vx only 11lbs though) its basically stock i run stock ls hatches all day long and bust 99-00 si's without major mods. true your coupe may have had the same engine, but u had parasitic loss from power steering and a/c, and lugged a lot more weight. thats why it feels so much stronger.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stronger V-Tec question... (SleepinEh)

I agree, the weight difference can make his car feel much stronger
Old 03-05-2003, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dammit, I was hoping that there was some special button on the engine that when pushed in, v-tec would pull hella hard.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its also possible that since the vtec-e system is designed for fuel efficiency, meaning not driving around in vtec..... that its fuel maps are very conservative before vtec. So the crossover is that much more obvious, you still arent getting alot out of it, but you'll feel it more.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:40 PM

By a b series motor. LOL
Old 03-05-2003, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dammit, I was hoping that there was some special button on the engine that when pushed in, v-tec would pull hella hard.
If you think that a VTEC-E motor pulls hard with bolt ons, you should go for a ride in B series VTEC motor w/bolt ons, and compare the difference.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol if there was, everyone freakin honda owner would already have known about, i had a b16 and my vtec for some reason was extremly loud even with a stock exhaust. but it didnt pull at all. but the damn vtec was freakin loud geez.
Old 03-05-2003, 05:48 PM

i believe the vtec-e kick in jus FEELS stronger because its weaker in the low end... these motors have a three-stage vtec system...correct me if im wrong but instead of the valves having a bigger lift during vtec it opens from a complete closed valve at the trigger point...
Old 03-05-2003, 06:21 PM

When you modify a VTEC motor from stock, the VTEC changeover point SHOULD be changed based on a dyno plot. It should be a smooth changeover rather than abrupt. But, of course, almost nobody has the time/money/motivation to do the changes.

VTEC changeovers that make the car "kick" are just poorly placed changeovers. The change should have occurred at a lower RPM to avoid that effect.

BUT, of course the only way to do that is to get a custom or reprogrammable ECU, or a VTEC controller.

Shawn
Old 03-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Stronger V-Tec question... (shawnhayes)

When you modify a VTEC motor from stock, the VTEC changeover point SHOULD be changed based on a dyno plot. It should be a smooth changeover rather than abrupt. But, of course, almost nobody has the time/money/motivation to do the changes.

VTEC changeovers that make the car "kick" are just poorly placed changeovers. The change should have occurred at a lower RPM to avoid that effect.

BUT, of course the only way to do that is to get a custom or reprogrammable ECU, or a VTEC controller.

Shawn
I concur.

When I first strapped my B18C5 to the dyno the VTEC was insane loud. After tuning and lowering the VTEC point and smoothing the a/f ratios, the VTEC quited down ever so slightly and the "kick" wasn't as dramatic because the lowand mid picked up tremendously.

The VTEC-E motors aren't really that weak though. they utilize a roller rocker type valvetrain which is more efficient, and I've actualkly sen some old dynos of some HX coupe (1.6L VTEC-E) motors laying down better numbers than EX motors.

The biggest thing that sucks on the VTEC-E motors are the:

1. Tranny. Long-*** gears for fuel efficiency. Makes for poor acceleration.

2. Intake manifold and throttle body. After swapping to the Si/EX style intake system you should feel much better power from the VTEC-E motor.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stronger V-Tec question... (B18C5-EH2)

Dam, thanks for the info. I thought my car was special because I do feel it pull harder during v-tec, but its gradual. I can hear when v-tec comes in but I can't feel it till higher rpms. Thanks. Guess that makes sense.
Old 03-05-2003, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Stronger V-Tec question... (Racerage1)

Racerage1 is right. I had a V-TECe motor and it would pull so hard with minimum gain and make dumb loud noise. Just yesterday My b16a2 swap was complete and it is a whole other world. Trust goo B series