Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stroked and forced b20

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stroked and forced b20

ok pretty new to the honda world but been reading as much as possable. i bought my first honda about 8 months ago it is a 93 civic lx 4 door that had a 1.5 ltr auto in it. when i bought the car the owner said the oil pump was going out and needed replaced so i towed it to my moms house "cause it was closer" and pulled the oil pan off and sure enough it was sludge build up and not a bad oil pump, so i cleaned out the sludge put it back together and started driving home. it ran great halve way there then outa nowhere the oil light came on and before i could turn off the engine it locked up on me. a friend of mine had a smashed 97 del sol si that he said was pretty fast so i bought his engine, tranny, and took out everything needed to turn mine into a stick. well i had another car to drive so i decided to do a rebuild the motor. a speed shop told me to get pistons out of a 89 integra for high cr and a lightweight flywheel for faster revs. well after all that was said and done the engine in the car and the grueling conversion from auto to stick im now blowing oil out the exhaust do to valve seals leaking and pinging the crap outa the motor. now im not to interested to much in rebuilding the head so im considering a new motor/tranny setup. plus its really not all that fast...
I was reading the ls/vtec and crvtec thread and really liked the idea of the crvtec further searching found me a stroker kit that takes it to a 2.29 ltr and i know from experience that displacement = power i read into the kits and learned that you can get compression ratios from 7.0/1 up to 14.0+/1 i also read in another forum that stroker kits lower your rpm range so putting a large turbo on a stroked motor wouldnt use the turbo to the fullest effect. what i am wandering is what would happon if i used 2 small turbo's lets say 8 pounds each so they would spool early in the rpm range. i know also that using a turbo requires retarding your timming and in the post "crvtec" they said more than 3 degrees would be bad, but would lower c/r help elemanate that problem? i have also heard that you have to do some kinda mechine work to the b16 head to get the combo to run properly, anybody have a clue of what needs to be done there? thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: stroked and forced b20 (93civiclxsleeper)

running twin turbos (4cyl?) on a crvtec stroker build.... reliably... for what price...

Well, it is an interesting and expensive b series dream.

I was hoping that this was a thread about a real build.

At least put a link where you found a stroker kit for the crv block.. Then this post might be worth something...

You don't need to machine a b16 head to get it to work for crvtec. Just move dowels, drill/tap hole for oil and get a GE conversion kit.

You might just try going back to the speed shop, making friends with some people there who have turbo b series experience (or turbo anything), and asking them for a ride..

Get out and meet some people who have done some builds/stroker stuff, check out their stuff, go ride with them, then go back and read. It sounds like you have a lot of ideas. Your theory stuff is just talk. Find out what is practical to do.

Assuming you can do all that you are looking for, you will need to set aside ~1500 for management/tuning.

better just buy a k24 from element/crv and boost that. It will be cheaper, more reliable, and probably faster.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:27 AM

Default stroked and forced b20

http://www.crower.com/cat/impo...shtml is where i found the stroker kit and sorry for the long post.
Old 04-18-2006, 09:51 AM

Default Re: stroked and forced b20 (93civiclxsleeper)

ok been checking around on prices and i have found this so far

b20 "98 crv" motor & head $585 from local junk yard

gsr tranny and axles "97 integra" $950

2 turbos "95 saabs" $250 for both "rebuild cost ???"

b16a2 head none at junk yard ebay prices from $300 - $1000

still looking for wiring harness and ecu options pretty sure a harness from a integra gsr would work "can get one of those for $125" and some kinda obd1 vtec ecu.

stroker kit runs $2250 and takes up to 16 weeks to get to me after 50% deposite is made. another $1500 if i want a billet crank, worth it?

still looking for arp stud pricing, sleeves and resleeving, good cams and springs for the setup, any machine work, port and polish on head, fuel upgrades "400 cc injecters?", and dyno testing.

i was thinking 8.5/1 cr with the two 8 pound turbo's does this sound like a good combo?

looked at the k series option pretty salty $4000 - $6000 for stock everything, not very good tork to price ratio compared to what the stroked crvtec can produce.
Old 04-18-2006, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

umm, i just want to know how you will be mounting twin turbo's to a B20 in an EK engine bay. sounds like driveway dreams to me. just boost a B18b or B16a, or if you got it like that build a B18c and boost that. why get all crazy w/ a stroked block that has weak sleeves to begin with???