Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN

i have tried just about every screw driver and then dam head of the screw used to be like this + now it looks like this O, how in the hell am i going to get this **** out. i need it out to get rid of this fucked up idle. thanks,
Old 11-27-2003, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (Mgnlxsd)

What screw? There shouldn't be a screw that you have to take off for your IACV. Just bolts. I'm confused.
Old 11-27-2003, 03:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What screw? There shouldn't be a screw that you have to take off for your IACV. Just bolts. I'm confused. </TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly.....are you sure you are working on iacv
Old 11-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (chad)

Uhh, my IACV is held on with wo 12mm bolts. I dont think your talking about the IACV, maybe your talking about the MAP sensor or some other sensor. Anywho, go to your local lowes or homedepot and they sell these screw extractors which are basically reverse threaded drill bits that grabs the stripped head. If that doesn work you will have to drill out the screw and tap the hole....
Old 11-27-2003, 04:02 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (aw1234dude)

all i know that it is green and some guy at a shop told me to take it off and this screw will be exposed and then i could adjust the idle, if thats not it then where is it
Old 11-27-2003, 04:42 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (Mgnlxsd)

what was i messing with then it had a three wire connector and it was one the throttle body, it was a light GREEN color
Old 11-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

super glue + screwdiver + screw + like 2 min = no more stripped screw
Old 11-27-2003, 07:29 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (shaun311)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by shaun311 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">super glue + screwdiver + screw + like 2 min = no more stripped screw</TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf is this moron talking about?........get a pair of VICE GRIPS, clamp the bitch on tight and turn.

Old 11-27-2003, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (sirhatchalot5)

hmmm think about
Old 11-27-2003, 07:43 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (shaun311)

this is what I do about stripped out philip's head screws:

i take a dremel, i put the little cutting wheel on it, i cut a deep slit in the head of the screw. This creates a deep groove for a flat head of a big screw driver. It usually comes right out because now the flat head grabs tight.
Old 11-27-2003, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (Philip)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Philip &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this is what I do about stripped out philip's head screws:

i take a dremel, i put the little cutting wheel on it, i cut a deep slit in the head of the screw. This creates a deep groove for a flat head of a big screw driver. It usually comes right out because now the flat head grabs tight.</TD></TR></TABLE>

worked everytime for me
Old 11-27-2003, 08:14 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (oddball327)

buy a two dollar screwdriver and some jb weld. weld the screwdriver on the screw carefully, wait a couple hours, and voila!
Old 11-27-2003, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try using a vice grip, make sure you clamp it good. Otherwise go buy the craftsman Drill Out(screw extractor), don't get the screw out, 2 different type, cause your screw inside is round out already. Make sure you have enough room to put a drill in there. Go with the vice grip first alot cheaper + an extra tool.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:32 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (EvilPhu)

i can't its below plastic, not exposing enough to use a vice grip. Although i did buy a Screw extractor, which way should i drill into the screw, clockwise or counterclockwise. Basically what is the procedure, i just bought the bits.
Old 11-28-2003, 04:56 PM
Multi-paradigm

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (DSeriesBKilla)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DSeriesBKilla &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What screw? There shouldn't be a screw that you have to take off for your IACV. Just bolts. I'm confused. </TD></TR></TABLE>

And by the way I think you're misunderstanding what the guy at the shop told you.
He wants you to adjust the idle (i.e. by turning the idle adjustment SCREW)...not remove the IACV.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (.:last place:.)

this is a D16Y7, there is a ROTARY IAC, it didn't have a screw, it had some silver thing that was loose and would rotate back and forth and had some tension when i would give it some force to either side, didn't see a bolt or screw. But everyone tells me that is the IAC and i had to remove it to get to the "SCREW"
Old 11-28-2003, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've found the best way to remove a stubborn screw that you've mildly stripped is get some valve lapping compound and dip the tip of the screw driver in it. The lapping compound will "bite" into the screw and screw driver and will allow you to remove it without stripping it further. For a completely stripped screw, get a left handed drill bit or an easy out kit.
Old 11-28-2003, 07:22 PM

Default Re: (Stubbs)

well i got a black and decker Screw Extractor bit, will that work.
Old 11-28-2003, 10:21 PM

Default Re: (Mgnlxsd)

so how do you remove a stripped screw w/ one of these drill bits.
Old 11-29-2003, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if it's anything like the sears screw remover like this
Old 11-29-2003, 07:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

are you meaning the tps?
Old 11-29-2003, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe you are trying to remove the MAP sensor ,,, which isnt what want to remove if i am correct,, whoever told you that was bsing
Old 11-29-2003, 09:57 PM

Default Re: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN (yellowmonkeyboy)

NO, this is a d16y7 automatic, and it's a little green box w/two screws holding the sensor in place. Now it is the IAC, because the honda dealership told me that, so i stripped the screw putting it back on, all i want to do is fix it. So what is the procedure to remove a stripped screw w/ black and decker bits. It almost looks like a screw but backwords, so do i drill in the center of the screw/counterclockwise, and hope that it comes out. I already tried the dremel and the screw driver.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:06 AM

bump
Old 11-30-2003, 09:10 PM

bump to see if this black and decker screw extractor works, i tried it out until the battery gave out on the drill

Quick Reply: STRIPPED a screw, on the IAC on a SOHC, help it won't move ATTN