Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stripped allen hole in strut tower : /

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stripped allen hole in strut tower : /

im swapping out my stock struts for my new kyb agx adjustable gas shocks on my del sol, and i need the mount on the stock strut that mounts to the trunk in the back, but the allen hole is a perfect circle from me trying to take it off, is there anyway i can get it off? ive considered just chopping the strut tower off just right above the upper bushing, but idk if that will harm anything... any suggestions?
Old 04-11-2005, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: stripped allen hole in strut tower : / (vtecpoweredsol)

Impact gun
Old 04-11-2005, 10:00 PM

vise grips if you can get some in there...that should be able to get a grip on the head possibly.
or hack the head off...Good luck though
Old 04-11-2005, 10:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tried impact, and tried vise grips... i think im gonna have to hack that son of a bitch off
Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: stripped allen hole in strut tower : / (vtecpoweredsol)

Er. You're trying to turn the bolt on top of the strut, and not the piston itself (via an allen wrench), right?

Do you have spring compressors in place to relieve tension on that top bolt?

All of this is true, you could grab the very top of the piston with a set of vice grips to give you some leverage on that nut. Soaking the SOB nut in penetrant for a day can't hurt. Cutting/drilling is an option but that that piston is made out of pretty strong metal. Might be easier to cut the nut in half.

Probably the best idea is to bring it into a shop, have them put it into a spring compressor, then hit it with a impact wrench.

BTW, every time I have trouble with an allen wrench turning in place, it's due to me using an undersize allen wrench. Make sure you're not trying to use a standard in place of a metric or vice versa.

Good luck.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:05 PM

that sucks man...Do you have a spare socket around that you could beat onto the head and then remove it or is that what you did w/ the Impact??
Old 04-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stripped allen hole in strut tower : / (MonkeyBoy668)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MonkeyBoy668 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Er. You're trying to turn the bolt on top of the strut, and not the piston itself (via an allen wrench), right?

Do you have spring compressors in place to relieve tension on that top bolt?

All of this is true, you could grab the very top of the piston with a set of vice grips to give you some leverage on that nut. Soaking the SOB nut in penetrant for a day can't hurt. Cutting/drilling is an option but that that piston is made out of pretty strong metal. Might be easier to cut the nut in half.

Probably the best idea is to bring it into a shop, have them put it into a spring compressor, then hit it with a impact wrench.

BTW, every time I have trouble with an allen wrench turning in place, it's due to me using an undersize allen wrench. Make sure you're not trying to use a standard in place of a metric or vice versa.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

tried all of that, i had it in my compressor the whole time i was at it...ill prolly end up choppin the nut in half... time to bust out the dremel

Modified by vtecpoweredsol at 5:22 PM 4/12/2005