Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

strange sound.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Go Tigers!

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Default strange sound.....

howdy pardnas, i have a 2000 si and i've started noticing this weird sound coming from my car. I recently changed the brake pads so i think it might be something with my brakes. When I drive hard and take turns hard and stuff, afterwards when i'm driving slow i hear "clink.......clink........clink........clink" The sound sounds like it comes once per wheel revolution. I thought it might be a CV joint, but I put my hand on the boot and i didn't feel and grease, and then I put my hand over where the bearings were and it was warm, but nothing unusual. I even placed my hand over the passenger side and it was the same temp as the drivers side. I hear the sound even when i'm neutral, so i'm pretty sure that it's nothing transmission related. I recently installed a new clutch, but I dont think that that would have anything to do with it. Anyone got an idea of what this might be?
Old 04-23-2004, 08:05 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: strange sound..... (bense)

Does the noise happen when you take turns in both directions? There might be a tab on the brakepad on one side (or both) that contacts the spokes of the wheel under a turn because of the change in suspension geometry. It's happened to me before: I just cut that bastard off with some tin snips.
Old 04-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: strange sound..... (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does the noise happen when you take turns in both directions? There might be a tab on the brakepad on one side (or both) that contacts the spokes of the wheel under a turn because of the change in suspension geometry. It's happened to me before: I just cut that bastard off with some tin snips.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, it actually gets louder when i turn, and as i recall, i hear it the most when turning right, but i think i also hear it when turning left.....
Old 04-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: strange sound..... (bense)

Now is it a clicking sound or a metallic "clinking" sound? That's important .
Old 04-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Go Tigers!

Default Re: strange sound..... (Archidictus)

i guess it's more like "shink" and the slower i go, the longer the sound is drawn out....so if i'm going reall slow it's like "shhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnkkkkkkuhhhhhh "