Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strange no crank no start issue. 92 civic

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange no crank no start issue. 92 civic

I've searched around for similar problems on the board, but I don't think any of them exactly matched what my car is doing. Forgive me if I missed a thread that explains t he solution to this.

I bought a 92 civic from a guy not too long ago. When I bought it he has 2 wires coming out of the dash that were connected to a metal button. He told me that in order to start the car I had to turn the key to the on position and press that button a few times. It worked for a while then the button shorted out, so I switched to a toggle switch because i couldn't find another button. After a while, same issue. Toggle switch shorted out, went to a 50 amp toggle switch.

Now when I flip the switch, I hear faint tick, then when I flip the switch off I hear a louder click and the engine won't start. I tried taking the wires off and touching them, same issue. I can't get my car to start and want to get the original key start fixed.

What can I do to fix the toggle switch start until I can afford to have the whole starter replaced?

Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:04 AM
PHANTOM MENACE

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Strange no crank no start issue. 92 civic

I'd start by tracing where the wires actually go. You never said what they are wired up to.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4dr2classy
I've searched around for similar problems on the board, but I don't think any of them exactly matched what my car is doing. Forgive me if I missed a thread that explains t he solution to this.

I bought a 92 civic from a guy not too long ago. When I bought it he has 2 wires coming out of the dash that were connected to a metal button. He told me that in order to start the car I had to turn the key to the on position and press that button a few times. It worked for a while then the button shorted out, so I switched to a toggle switch because i couldn't find another button. After a while, same issue. Toggle switch shorted out, went to a 50 amp toggle switch.

Now when I flip the switch, I hear faint tick, then when I flip the switch off I hear a louder click and the engine won't start. I tried taking the wires off and touching them, same issue. I can't get my car to start and want to get the original key start fixed.

What can I do to fix the toggle switch start until I can afford to have the whole starter replaced?

Thanks in advanced.
I have two ideas, one, the guy installed some type of kill switch but failed to wire it properly, or two, the guy ran a wire from the battery to one spot on the switch and another wire from starter solenoid to the other spot on the switch. The reason for the second is that he was having issues between the ignition control switch and starter so he bypassed the ignition switch.

Does the car have an alarm installed?

Last edited by mechanix619; 09-13-2012 at 08:24 AM. Reason: :
Old 09-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 24TEN
I'd start by tracing where the wires actually go. You never said what they are wired up to.
The wires are run through the dash. There is a red wire coming off the positive battery terminal which is one of the wires. I believe the other runs to the starter? You touch them together and normally the engine starts, if that tells you anything.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
It sounds like the guy installed some type of kill switch but failed to wire it properly. For the time being just twist the two wires together until you can trace their source. Once you find the source, and if you would like to keep that style of kill switch, install a relay.
I dont believe it was intended to be a kill switch. Keep in mind he origninally had a button that was used to start it, if pressed while the car is it would make the starter grind. I only replaced it with a toggle switch because it was all I could think of the replace it when the button fried.

To use the switch I'd switch it to on until the car was fired up and then I would quickly flip it to off so it wouldn't make the starter grind.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont believe it was intended to be a kill switch. Keep in mind he origninally had a button that was used to start it, if pressed while the car is it would make the starter grind. I only replaced it with a toggle switch because it was all I could think of the replace it when the button fried.

To use the switch I'd switch it to on until the car was fired up and then I would quickly flip it to off so it wouldn't make the starter grind.
I had updated my post but yours came through first.

Does the car start when using those wires? If it does then the issue is not the starter but something between the ignition and the starter.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had updated my post but yours came through first.

Does the car start when using those wires? If it does then the issue is not the starter but something between the ignition and the starter.
In your other post you asked if it had alarm. He did at one point have an alarm in it, but it no longer works. However I leave it plugged in because it has a blinking blue light that should deter people from attempting to steal it.

You're correct about where the wires come from. It used to be, when you'd touch them together it would start. Sometimes you'd have to touch them together a few times before it will start. Now when i touch them together I just keep hearing that click noise, the wires get hotter, and the clicking noise gets more and more faint and won't start anymore. I'm thinking maybe the wires may need to be replaced until I can afford to replace the whole ignition system in the car?

Edit : To clear up any questions when the key is turned to the "ignition" position no noise is made, no click, nothing at all. But when the key is turned to "On" the fuel pump runs for a few seconds, but thats all that happens..
Old 09-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In your other post you asked if it had alarm. He did at one point have an alarm in it, but it no longer works. However I leave it plugged in because it has a blinking blue light that should deter people from attempting to steal it.

You're correct about where the wires come from. It used to be, when you'd touch them together it would start. Sometimes you'd have to touch them together a few times before it will start. Now when i touch them together I just keep hearing that click noise, the wires get hotter, and the clicking noise gets more and more faint and won't start anymore. I'm thinking maybe the wires may need to be replaced until I can afford to replace the whole ignition system in the car?

Edit : To clear up any questions when the key is turned to the "ignition" position no noise is made, no click, nothing at all. But when the key is turned to "On" the fuel pump runs for a few seconds, but thats all that happens..

Take a look at the ignition harness and uninstall the alarms green wires that are spliced into the BLACK/WHITE wires; they are the starter wires.

Last edited by mechanix619; 09-13-2012 at 08:57 AM. Reason: :
Old 09-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Take a look at the ignition harness and uninstall the alarms green wires that are spliced into the BLACK/WHITE wires; they are the starter wires.
Doing this will result in what?
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Doing this will result in what?
You'll bypass the alarm. If the alarm is broken it might still be affecting the starter wires, which is why the previous owner ran his custom wires.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You'll bypass the alarm. If the alarm is broken it might still be affecting the starter wires, which is why the previous owner ran his custom wires.
The alarm had a box to it that detected whether or not there was theft being attempted and would set off the alarm. That box was removed not sure why, so the light still comes on and the alarm is still there, it just won't go off. I always left it there because it's just a deterant to people to steal it because it's mounted to the dash. I don't think it's taking power directly from the ignition anymore. The wires aren't there.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lets clear up a few things really fast and lets ignore the wires the previous owner ran into the cabin.

1. Is the ignition harness wired back to the stock configuration?
2. Can you start the car by jumping the starter solenoid and battery?
Old 09-13-2012, 10:14 AM
Trial User

Just had the same issue with my del sol.
with key on use a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the spade connector on your solenoid(I used one side of jumper cables) if it cranks must be a short in your wires to the switch you have installed. Just had the ignition and key switch replaced cost over $400 at the shop.
Good luck
Old 09-13-2012, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luther
Just had the ignition and key switch replaced cost over $400 at the shop.
Good luck
Wow!! The ignition harness should cost just over $100, I just bought one a few weeks ago.
Old 09-13-2012, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by luther
Just had the same issue with my del sol.
with key on use a jumper wire from the positive battery terminal to the spade connector on your solenoid(I used one side of jumper cables) if it cranks must be a short in your wires to the switch you have installed. Just had the ignition and key switch replaced cost over $400 at the shop.
Good luck
Positive clamp on the battery terminal to positive clamp on the spade connector, correct?

A rare few times today (3/10) I've gotten it to start by touching the wires I ran to the switch together. I think that it might be the wires, not the starter solenoid. But i'll try that anyway just to make positive.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any luck?