Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strange intermittent no start?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange intermittent no start?

Hello everyone,

recently I've been having a strang issue with my 2000 civic EX starting. I put the key in, and turn to on position, nothing abnormal, but when i go to start it there is just a click. I know my battery is fine. I try again, it clicks once more. I try a third or fourth time, boom it starts up in .5 seconds good as new. The car runs and drives perfectly normal after that.

ive been thinking it could be my ignition? Maybe a loose wire to my starter? Where is my starter and how do i check it? Thank you for and help
Old 06-20-2017, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Strange intermittent no start?

Possibly, starter solenoid, starter relay or starter itself is failing (intermittent). Have someone turn the key to start while you tap on starter and starter solenoid with a hammer's handle and see if engine starts.

Last edited by Jimi Hondrix; 06-20-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

This is typical of the contact points in the starter wearing out. It will click a few times (from the starter) and eventually turn and start. As it wears more it is less likely to start. There are kits to replace the contacts, or replace the whole starter.

Do check that the big wire from the battery to the starter is secure, because having it loose will do the same thing.

As for where the starter is, follow the big wire from the battery (+). It is on top of the transmission, easy to reach; no need to go underneath the car.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
This is typical of the contact points in the starter wearing out. It will click a few times (from the starter) and eventually turn and start. As it wears more it is less likely to start. There are kits to replace the contacts, or replace the whole starter
Sorry OP not trying to hijack your thread..I just have a related question: My car's previous owner wired in a push button start and for the past month (purchased in February) it's been intermittent. Each time I press the start button it just clicks once until it finally does turn over. It started doing this after I cleaned and improved the tightness of the positive contact on the starter solenoid and the harness's smaller spade terminal that attaches to the starter solenoid. When you referred to the starter contacts is that considered a brush kit?

The clicking sound on mine is not the same sound a dragging starter makes..sounds more like a single dull metal ping, which makes me lean towards solenoid is on it's way out or perhaps the push button switch itself is failing.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

The contacts in the solenoid. If you remove the starter from the car and take off the sort of triangular metal cover on the back, you will see them. They are two copper pieces one connected to the battery and one to the motor. When the solenoid clicks down, the copper disk on the back of the plunger is supposed to bridge those two copper pieces and complete the circuit to the motor.
Old 06-21-2017, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
The contacts in the solenoid. If you remove the starter from the car and take off the sort of triangular metal cover on the back, you will see them. They are two copper pieces one connected to the battery and one to the motor. When the solenoid clicks down, the copper disk on the back of the plunger is supposed to bridge those two copper pieces and complete the circuit to the motor.
Thanks. If it gets worse I will look into replacing them. Right now I'm halfway through removing the steering rack..good fun