Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Strange brake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange brake problem

Hi H-T, this is my first post, but I am not really new to the forum, I have had an account for awhile, and I visit the forum twice a day to read posts and get hit with some knowledge, but the day has finally come that I have a question.

--Warning I am really wordy, sorry, but I try to cover all the bases--

FYI I did search prior to posting but didn't really find anything that covers this problem.

My car is a 94 Civic LX, stock engine. Anyways, when I bought the car a year ago the ABS light was on, I really thought nothing of it as it was an older car and the dealership told me not to worry about it anyways. Well, everything was fine and dandy for the last year, but recently I have been running into some problems.

The first problem started about two weeks ago, I was cruising around town trying to enjoy my last day in town before going on vacation and went to stop, as the car slowed to almost a complete stop, there was a strange noise and the brake pedal shot back out at me, compelling me to almost crap myself. At first I thought my foot just slipped off the pedal. Then it did it again at the next stop, I quickly decided that something was wrong and I needed to get home right away. This problem occurred three more times on the way home, then I finally realized my ABS light was no longer on, and I chalked this up to an ABS problem, something to do with it trying to "kick in" on something similar. Well, as I was almost home my ABS light came back on and the problem stopped.

I went on vacation the next day and came back a week later, and jumped in my car to see if the problem magically fixed itself (A guy can dream right?) Well, the ABS light came on like normal and the problem did not happen, chalking it up to a fluke thing, and the fact my vacation drained my bank account, I put it to the back of my mind and waited for the money to fix it. Fast forward a few days later, and a new problem arises, there is a strange clunking sound coming from my rear passenger tire when i brake, after hearing this the first time, I quickly got home and ripped the tire off to check the rotor/pads. There only thing I could find that looked anywhere out of the ordinary was two very small grooves on each side of the rotor that almost looked like while I was on vacation the pads rusted to the rotor (I live in Iowa and we got a ****-ton of rain while I was gone) hoping that was the cause I just put the tire back on and hoped the pads would smooth the rotor back down.

But the problem has not gotten any better, nor any worse. But the time has come to fix it, and I really have no idea what could be causing this clunking sound, the braking sound is worse the faster the car is going and is almost non-existent when the car is under 15 mph. I want to fix the ABS as well when I fix this sound, I read about the connector under the radio to get your ABS codes, but I am unsure as what you need to get those codes. I am a little ignorant when it comes to electrical aspects of cars and any knowledge that you all could throw my way would be very much appreciated.

P.S. The clunking sound also occurs when I first take off, but it is a little different and almost seems as if something is "clicking" into place as I take off, it only happens the first time I go forward after starting the car. I was thinking it might be a bearing or something? I really have no idea as I don't really know much about the rear end of cars.

TIA for all of your help
Old 09-04-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Re: Strange brake problem (Hubs94)

bump
Old 09-04-2007, 01:21 PM

heading off to work bump
Old 09-05-2007, 01:10 AM

final bump
Old 09-05-2007, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

is you reservoir full???other that that I don't get it??

only time I've ever had the pedal push back at me ,was when I had a boosted Protege5 that would stall every now and then and when she stalled the brake pedal would push back at me because of lose of vacuum......HEY you may very well be having a vacuum problem ,I wonder if you master cylinder/brake booster thing is shitting the bed???GL
Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you may want to ask this question in the integra forum, seeing most of our cars don't have ABS..

i've owned five civics/crx's, not a 1 with abs..
Old 09-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Yeah, the reservoir is full.
I will take your advice and ask on the Integra forum
Old 09-05-2007, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought the ABS light is only supposed to come on when something is wrong...

it should come on for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on, but i thought it should turn off after that.

as for the clunking noises... could it possible that you have a dust cover that's rubbing something?
Old 09-05-2007, 06:26 PM

Default Re: Strange brake problem (pgpunkguy)

Nah, the ABS light kicks on once I am going about 10 MPH and then stays on the entire time (sans the times when it kicked off and the problem began)

As for the clunking noise, lately it has been much quieter/ almost non-existent so I am not sure if I was correct it thinking it was the grooves and they wore down or what is the deal with that. All I know is I finally have a day off on Friday and I think I am going to tear everything down and see what I can do to fix it.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 PM

quick advise... summarize your question lol, u wrote a whole essay