Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The story of why you should always tighten your lugs yourself

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The story of why you should always tighten your lugs yourself

Ok, this is a kinda long sotry but im bored so im writin it...

I bought some progressive springs for an integra and they were cut for a eg hatch. I figure eg hatch, eg coupe, same thing.FIRST MISTAKE. So I buyt the springs for $15 locally. I get home, put them on my kyb agx's and then spend about another 3 hours getting them on the car. After everything is one the car it is painfully obvious the springs need to be switched as the car is almost lying on the ground .

So we pull the springs off and that takes about another hour or two. I have a rodatrip i needed to make on the weekend (next day) and seeing as how we had cut my OEM springs to get them off, i was in quite a pickle. I had OEM eg hatch springs lyin around so i put them on (2hrs) the front and the back. Although it was still sittin low, it was the best it was gonna get.

My buddy tightened down the front lugs while i worked on the rear struts. MISTAKE #2. So the next mornin I head out on my trip from MD to NY. This is where things start goin wrong:

About an hour into the trip i feel a weird vibration to the car going abut 70mph on the highway. I slow down and as my speed decreases the vibration increases. **** is all i can think, as i slow down more, it gets worse and worse, and louder.

I take the first exit i can and pull over in some random parking lot. Too my shock the lugs on the front left tire are loose enough to turn by hand!!!! After walking through a random town for about 20min i get some guy with an electric impact wrench to help me out. He drives me back to my car and hit the front left tire with the wrench.

wrrrr.. wrrrr. wrr r.. r. ....

DEAD BATTERY

christ, he goes back to his shop and gets another battery and tightens up the rest of the tires BUT NOT THE FRONT LEFT MISTAKE 3. Ok so I get back on the highway (81N) and about 10min later the sound is back, and worse. At this point there are no exit so i have to pull over on the shoulder of this huge highway. Its the tires again....

Me and my buddy backtrak about a mile and find a home deopt on the other side of the highway. After pickin up some tools and a long *** walk back to the car we managed to get it good and tight.

The thing that scares me is imagining the tire flying off at 70mph on a 4lane highway. Well thats the last time i let me buddy tighten my lugs!!!

Do you think my rotors are warped now cause of all this? I swear I can hear a slight hum when driving around, like the rotor is touchin the pad, and at 80+mph the vibration is quite apparent... what do you think?

oh and of course:

for me not bringin my tools on the road trip

Modified by turbotime at 3:03 AM 7/9/2004
Old 07-08-2004, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The story of why you should always tighten your lugs yourself (turbotime)

?... what does this have to do about tightening lugs?

Old 07-08-2004, 05:59 PM

Default Re: The story of why you should always tighten your lugs yourself (turbotime)

Hmm... story was kinda short, not kinda long and I don't really understand what it has anything to do with tightening the lugs yourself?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm.... where in there did you say anything about lugs?? and yea my experience with cut springs have not been good... even if they have worked on other cars
Old 07-08-2004, 06:00 PM

... ... ...
Old 07-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry guys, i hit post b4 i finished, but now im done. oh and FYI I now am riding on agx + ground control and im very happy with it!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Ape
Honda-Tech Member

Shortend it so much that you left out the lug nuts part..
Old 07-08-2004, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

ahh.. now i understand, yes it would have sucked if your tire would've flown off. Strangle your friend.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:08 PM

i learned that the hard way too with my spark plugs and spark plug wires... i went out to get beer, came back... and my friend had put my spark plugs in without me knowing... he fucked one of the spark plugs up and i was running on three cylinders for too long and i threw a rod bearing... damn him!
Old 07-08-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Re: (Ej1_coupe)

Well, now that I reread it....wow you got lucky. I have had a similar experience and it sucks *****. Anyway, you didn't even have the "tire changing tools" in your car (wrench, jack, tire)?
Old 07-08-2004, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lucky for you the tires did not fly off. call your friend and make him swallow the lugnuts.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lowyellow)

always always always always always always click and then double-click all of your lugs with your torque wrench.... you have a torque wrench right? shouldn't have had this kind of problem in the first place.....
Old 07-08-2004, 07:55 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Team 4R)

No offense bro.. this was a dumb post.. GDD would be better for this crap
Old 07-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Same thing happen to my buddy two weeks ago on our way home from the track, he ended up breaking two studs, stripping another so that only one lug was holding it, he ended up having to get it towed to his apartment, then drive about 5 MPH to get to my house which is a couple miles away to fix it.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

heh, i had all the tools but i got circuit 8s so the HONDA wrench didnt fit in the hole to tighten the lug..

And yes, i do have a torque wrench, yet i assuumed my friend was not a total dumbass (of which i have been proven wrong) and would have tightened them down sufficiently.

So do you think my front left rotor is warped or damage becuase of it? I took a good look at it today when i put my GC's on but i didnt notice anything, of course i know a warp can be invisible to the eye.... but would that type of thing warp the rotor?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:37 PM

Default Re: (turbotime)

?
Old 07-08-2004, 09:43 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

about that sound,
its probly just the splash shield on yourbrakes scrapin on the rotor,
no biggie just bend it back.

and yo, if in a pickle, just go to a gas station,
you dont have to torque lugs perfectly to be safe,
any normal wrench will do, you dont need a torque wrench or impact or air tools,
just tighten it till its torque'd nice'n "tough"

wont fall off ,but you'd want to torque it to 80lbs soon
Old 07-08-2004, 11:18 PM

you should invest in some air tools like from home depot and make sure his dumb@$$ dosnt just hand tighten anything anymore
Old 07-09-2004, 12:28 AM

Hes saying even if a good buddy tightens your lug nuts, check for yourself...i have similar experiences. Came home after installing Tokico Illuminas and my front left tire was hand tight.