Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

STOLEN HONDA CIVIC

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STOLEN HONDA CIVIC

hello, i had a 1999 EK civic that was jdm'ed out. it was stolen about a month after i purchased it and now my insurance company is acting like some dicks and are offering me 2200 for it with all the mods and sound system because it had a rebuilt title.

my question is does anyone out there have and reputable sources on:
a) values for fixed up ek civics with a rebuilt title (not salvaged as in an accident built rebuilt as in stolen and stripped)
b) any statistical websites that state that EK civics are popular in the car theft market
c) any other information that can help me in my suit against P________ INSURANCE Co!

thanks a lot guyz, you can email me directly at eastbayg@aol.com

help out your fellow honda brother
Old 05-13-2010, 03:49 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: STOLEN HONDA CIVIC

Can you prove with recipts the money you have spent? because your car is 11 years old and is rebuilt you really arent going to see anything for it.

It's just the price you pay for spending a lot of money on a honda.
And also be carfull sueing a insurance company you may end up coming out with less in the end if anything, with the legal fees.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eastbayg
hello, i had a 1999 EK civic that was jdm'ed out. it was stolen about a month after i purchased it and now my insurance company is acting like some dicks and are offering me 2200 for it with all the mods and sound system because it had a rebuilt title.

a) values for fixed up ek civics with a rebuilt title (not salvaged as in an accident built rebuilt as in stolen and stripped)
b) any statistical websites that state that EK civics are popular in the car theft market
c) any other information that can help me in my suit against P________ INSURANCE Co!

I don't mean to be a dick, but welcome to life.

I'm not sure how "rebuilt" titles are defined there - but here in NY, it's the same thing, accident and rebuilt or stolen - both are a salvage title and pwn the value of the car. It's like that a lot of places, so your statistics won't really match theirs, as theirs will be national as well as local.

Secondly, it's a 11 year old economy car, no, the resale is NOT going to be high on it.

Thirdly, your website is WELL AWARE how much civics are stolen, it was calculated into your monthly payments.

Fourthly, you have absolutely no right to file a lawsuit against your insurance company, people like you is the reason my insurance rates go up.

Fifthly, some statistics hosted by a non government or insurance affiliated site mean absolutely nothing. They hold no water - at all.

Sixthly, what kind of coverage did you have on the car (probably just liability or some near bare minimum thing I'm assuming, though even if you had a lot, wouldn't matter much)

When are you people going to get it? It doesn't matter how much useless JDM side markers, corner lights, badges, clocks, and little ****** that rise up out of the bumpers you bolt to your civic, it DOES NOT increase the value as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Sure, you can sell it for [slightly] more because of "aesthetics upgrades" to other Honda enthusiasts, but that will NOT raise the blue book value of it.

I have yet to see any blue book what-so-ever that has anything along the lines of "extra JDM ****" as one of the attributes. Aftermarket stuff is 100% subjective to the person buying the vehicle and has VERY LITTLE impact on the book value of the car.

They gave you the book value on the car, which is pretty much all you're entitled to. Some (most) insurance companies support "after market" insurance - where they can insure (up to a low extent) your aftermarket parts as well, but you'll never get from the insurance company what you'd want to get in a sale.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm also sorry that when you read this you're going to flip out and start yelling at me like anything I said was incorrect. It's life. You sure as **** don't have to tell me how much it sucks - I know already. Dealt with insurance plenty of times, and NY has the second highest insurance rate in the country.

Hope you get some of it back .
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Can you prove with recipts the money you have spent? because your car is 11 years old and is rebuilt you really arent going to see anything for it.

It's just the price you pay for spending a lot of money on a honda.
And also be carfull sueing a insurance company you may end up coming out with less in the end if anything, with the legal fees.
Agreed 100%. Nail hit right on the head with less elaboration than my post. Suing the insurance company won't turn out in your favor, going pro-say is a joke, and lawyers are expensive as ****.

It is indeed the price you pay for spending money on a decade old econo-box.

My g/f's (which I poured blood, sweat, and tears (and a **** to of money)) into was jacked in NJ, found a shell. It's life. It sucks.
Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Unless you took it to a sponsored appraiser, to get the current market value with all your mods, etc., Than all the insurance is going to offer you is book value.

Now I have dealt with insurance in the past and they are going to lowball thier offer to you. You have to do some digging and find the actual prices that civics are selling for in your area, to show them what it will really cost you to replace the civic, they do not care about your mods, unless you paid for the additional premium or had it appraised.

Sorry, it sucks.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by Syndacate

It's life. It sucks.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Use that $2200 and put it toward an alarm system in your next civic if you choose to pick up another one. Also move the hell out of Cali. That whole damn state is notorious for stolen Civs.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do get tired of stolen honda threads here. read my sig.

you are not going to get what you want out of the insurance company. the value is based upon general vehicles and resale value. it is actually a modified version of auction listing value. no arguing. be glad your getting something. there are those with just liability that get nada.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by xero_xero

there are those with just liability that get nada.

i was one
Old 05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Syndacate
I don't mean to be a dick, but welcome to life.

I'm not sure how "rebuilt" titles are defined there - but here in NY, it's the same thing, accident and rebuilt or stolen - both are a salvage title and pwn the value of the car. It's like that a lot of places, so your statistics won't really match theirs, as theirs will be national as well as local.

Secondly, it's a 11 year old economy car, no, the resale is NOT going to be high on it.

Thirdly, your website is WELL AWARE how much civics are stolen, it was calculated into your monthly payments.

Fourthly, you have absolutely no right to file a lawsuit against your insurance company, people like you is the reason my insurance rates go up.

Fifthly, some statistics hosted by a non government or insurance affiliated site mean absolutely nothing. They hold no water - at all.

Sixthly, what kind of coverage did you have on the car (probably just liability or some near bare minimum thing I'm assuming, though even if you had a lot, wouldn't matter much)

When are you people going to get it? It doesn't matter how much useless JDM side markers, corner lights, badges, clocks, and little ****** that rise up out of the bumpers you bolt to your civic, it DOES NOT increase the value as far as the rest of the world is concerned. Sure, you can sell it for [slightly] more because of "aesthetics upgrades" to other Honda enthusiasts, but that will NOT raise the blue book value of it.

I have yet to see any blue book what-so-ever that has anything along the lines of "extra JDM ****" as one of the attributes. Aftermarket stuff is 100% subjective to the person buying the vehicle and has VERY LITTLE impact on the book value of the car.

They gave you the book value on the car, which is pretty much all you're entitled to. Some (most) insurance companies support "after market" insurance - where they can insure (up to a low extent) your aftermarket parts as well, but you'll never get from the insurance company what you'd want to get in a sale.

I'm sorry for your loss.

I'm also sorry that when you read this you're going to flip out and start yelling at me like anything I said was incorrect. It's life. You sure as **** don't have to tell me how much it sucks - I know already. Dealt with insurance plenty of times, and NY has the second highest insurance rate in the country.

Hope you get some of it back .
This.

Originally Posted by SpecialBrownie
Use that $2200 and put it toward an alarm system in your next civic if you choose to pick up another one. Also move the hell out of Cali. That whole damn state is notorious for stolen Civs.
And this.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i was one
As am I. Being a Dishwasher barley gives you enough for a car payment and insurance payment
Old 05-13-2010, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98civdx
i was one
You can't afford comprehensive insurance on your car? Dude that sucks bad cause comprehensive isn't all that expensive compared to collision coverage and the rates for comprehensive aren't determined by your driving record, age, or anything that disproportionately affects us younger drivers. How much is or was your insurance per year?
Old 05-13-2010, 07:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the way i see it, if you don't have a security system in your "mad jdm, yo!" ride..
well, then it's your loss. sucks, but you gotta protect your investment.

i'm not gonna drop thousands into something and not have a safety net.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

they are a business, and they are out to make money on you. so you do have to fight. but if you didnt document the upgrades with your insurance, keep receipts, or have it aprasied your sol. live and learn.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My insurance will fully cover 100% of my modification if I have receipts. You got to see it from their point of view. What if you're claiming a $5000 sound system? Unless you have receipts, you're SOL. Sorry dude. I'm not trying to be a dick, but that's just life. That's the downside to buying used parts. There's no record of anything.

If I were you, I'd take the insurance company to arbitration and see if you can get anything more. If not, you're lucky to be getting 2200 for an 11-year-old car with a rebuilt title, IMO...
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Master Detailer

Originally Posted by fleabag
You can't afford comprehensive insurance on your car? Dude that sucks bad cause comprehensive isn't all that expensive compared to collision coverage and the rates for comprehensive aren't determined by your driving record, age, or anything that disproportionately affects us younger drivers. How much is or was your insurance per year?
What? No, my car used to not have full now it is fully coverd for everything.

read the post that i responded to by xero xero, how liability doesnt get anything. i have never not had insurance.

If your speaking of pemco, my uncles works for them, he said they have a good faith thing, where if your car is wrecked or stolen and you say you have mods but cannot prove this sometimes they will give you a 1000, thats it noithing more noithing less. Call your adjuster and tell them your car is moded, its the best and really the only way to insure your car is coverd for the moeny you have into, it. With mine it only went up like 20-30 a month, a very small price to pay to cover the thousands i have into it.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

jdm'ed out you say
Old 05-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just speaking to my insurance company about this. I added comprehensive to my car and AFTER getting it appraised by an appraiser referred by them. The best they could tell me was "we'll take the appraisal into account if you ever have to make a claim". Which means they'll lowball me, I'll counter, they'll lowball me again, I'll counter...rinse and repeat. Until I get a value that I consider barely adequate. Which is more than I would get if I hadn't gotten an appraisal. I could have gotten the "classic vehicle" insurance, which would pay exactly what the car is appraised for, but then I can only drive it 7500 miles per year...not going to work for me.

If you get another Honda and modify it (or recover/rebuild yours), consider getting appraisal. As it stands, you have no ground to stand on against the insurance company. It sucks, but as others have said before, that's life.

fm
Old 05-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

let me guess... no alarm... no kill switch... no nothing... GONE... **** why are you complaining your name is east bay G you likey steal cars yourself.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

to all yall, i had an awesome autopage alarm with 3 kill switches and i had comp and collision ins with upto $1000 coverage on special equipment. not to mention the autolock under the clutch pedal. i even asked the ***gots when i first signed up how come they wont take pictures. how will u know what my car has. they said we will take ur word for it, well PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE is a ****in waste of a company. no wonder our country is run by a bunch of ***got *** wallstreet investing insurance companies. not only do they not know how to run a business, our taxpayer money is whats bailing them out. **** EM
Old 05-17-2010, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what about all the salvaged rebuilt cars on craigslist that i can show? thats fair market value!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have progressive right now.. hopefully I dont end up in a similar situation. You should move to All-state. "Now thats all-state, are you in good hands?"
Old 05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Master Detailer

to all yall, i had an awesome autopage alarm with 3 kill switches and i had comp and collision ins with upto $1000 coverage on special equipment. not to mention the autolock under the clutch pedal. i even asked the ***gots when i first signed up how come they wont take pictures. how will u know what my car has. they said we will take ur word for it, well PROGRESSIVE INSURANCE is a ****in waste of a company. no wonder our country is run by a bunch of ***got *** wallstreet investing insurance companies. not only do they not know how to run a business, our taxpayer money is whats bailing them out. **** EM
what about all the salvaged rebuilt cars on craigslist that i can show? thats fair market value!
Fair market value means **** to insurance companys, they are going to give the least they possibly can, and then rasie your rates and screw you in the *** anyways.

Sounds like you got screwed over by an insurance company, your mad and you need to vent, thats all good and im sure everyone understands.

You should have made them take pictures of the car, and insure they know what the car has on it, which you did not do.

You can bitch about fair market value all you want, the simple fact is has/had a rebuilt title kills the value. Grow up and deal with it. there are people on this site that have lost much more then you did.

Oh and next time dont post my EK civic, no one knows what the hell you drive.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

they said we will take ur word for it
I'm on Progressive and I enjoy their service. YOU GOT WORKED THOUGH. They took your word for it because they knew if this situation ever came up, you'd have no leeway. When you talk with an insurance company, make sure you're the one in control. This is all your fault. When they say no we won't take pictures, YOU FORCE THEM TO TAKE THE DAMN PICTURES AND SAVE A FAXED COPY. Nice one Bro.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

xero xero.....Your site "Cause For Alarm Honda Theft prevention" is AWESOME!! I will be utilizing much of the information. THANKS!!