Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Stolen car recovered, wiring is a mess! Please help, 99 EK

Old 02-19-2008, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stolen car recovered, wiring is a mess! Please help, 99 EK

The car: 1999 EK Hatch DX

Problems
- Interior lights (dash, climate control) do not work when parking lights or headlights are on
- Interior lights only work when hazard button is pressed, parking and headlights must be off. Left turn signal is also activated.

Note:
I can read diagrams, I've briefed over the helms with very little luck, I have a voltmeter available as well. All fuses are intact, all lights work in some way or another, so I know its not a short circuit. However, the wiring seems to be mismatched somehow, and I need some help in the right direction.

Any help appreciated,
Chris

Modified by confucioussae at 9:26 AM 2/23/2008
Old 02-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen car recovered, wiring is a mess! Please help, 99 EK (confucioussae)

Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 AM

check all connector and grounds... how did they steal the car smash the ignition switch or what
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 AM

Default Re: Stolen car recovered, wiring is a mess! Please help, 99 EK (confucioussae)

It sounds to me like you might have had an alarm when they took the car? If this is the case, you might want to check the wiring for it and reconnect wires with the same colors.

Chris Chase
Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Stolen car recovered, wiring is a mess! Please help, 99 EK (cachase1)

Yeah ignition is completely smashed. I know it's not grounds, because non of the fuses are being blown out. Remember, all the circuits are working, they're just working with the wrong triggers. I have an OEM alarm from the SI.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

finding wiring issues in a stolen car is nothing but headaches.

FYI: faulty grounds do not blow fuses, faulty wires that are shorted to ground cause blown fuses.

you may want to start simple and focus on one area.
unplug the hazard switch, make sure you have 12V on the white/black(constant) wire and the yellow/black (ignition) wire.
If you don't recheck the fuses (white/black = underhood, yellow/black = underdash)

after you have power to both of them...
with the hazard plug unplugped jumper the white/black wire to the green/yellow wire.
this will put constant power to the right turn lights. (make sure that the bulbs outside the car light as well as the cluster)
if the lights do not light up then you have a problem in the green/yellow wire.
if they do then it's an issue with the blinker switch itself. Which is very possible since they broke your ignition.

how's the wipers?

as far as your interior lights, replace the dimmer. to check unplug the dimmer, switch on the lights and short the red wire to the black wire. they should come on full bright.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:06 AM

sorry about the stolen car dude. that sucks *****. um start with one lighting problem at a time. follow the wires.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">finding wiring issues in a stolen car is nothing but headaches.

FYI: faulty grounds do not blow fuses, faulty wires that are shorted to ground cause blown fuses.

you may want to start simple and focus on one area.
unplug the hazard switch, make sure you have 12V on the white/black(constant) wire and the yellow/black (ignition) wire.
If you don't recheck the fuses (white/black = underhood, yellow/black = underdash)

after you have power to both of them...
with the hazard plug unplugped jumper the white/black wire to the green/yellow wire.
this will put constant power to the right turn lights. (make sure that the bulbs outside the car light as well as the cluster)
if the lights do not light up then you have a problem in the green/yellow wire.
if they do then it's an issue with the blinker switch itself. Which is very possible since they broke your ignition.

how's the wipers?

as far as your interior lights, replace the dimmer. to check unplug the dimmer, switch on the lights and short the red wire to the black wire. they should come on full bright.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will try doing this on the weekend. I will pull out my climate control and see whats going on at the hazard switch. I know the hazard button is somehow connected to the blinkers and headlights, where the turn signals must pass through the circuit of the hazard switch. Time to find where I put my voltmeter...!

Wipers work normally when headlights are on. When headlights are off, intermittent doesn't work, but hi and lo function just fine.

Thanks, will update thread with findings.
Old 02-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (confucioussae)

Hazard button had some connectivity issues with the harness. However, I was able to fix it yesterday. Blinker functions are now working properly. Thanks!

Following issues have been fixed
- Turn signal handle/lever/stock does not work by itself
- Only left turn signal works when hazard switch is turned on, turn lever is untouched
- Right turn signal only works when hazard switch is turned on, turn lever is flipped up to activate right blinker. Both lights are now flashing.

I am still having problems with the interior lights though, so I will try and figure it out next. Also, the "intermittent" setting on my wipers doesn't work unless the headlights are on. Any thoughts?