Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies???????????????

Old 08-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies???????????????

what is the stock tire pressure on the 13 inch steelies?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:02 PM

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (sporty240)

hey, mine said 35 psi max, but i did this and they still seem to buldge,

it should say on the side of your tire too in parenthsis? ( max psi blah blah )
Old 08-22-2005, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (EtherEG93)

Mine say 45 max..

it will say it on your tire....just look

its not by size, and not all tires are the same
Old 08-23-2005, 07:38 AM
tpr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On the inside of the glovebox is a sticker that tells the cold tire pressure. DO NOT USE THE MAX PRESSURE RATING ON THE SIDE OF THE TIRE. What year and model is it?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (tpr)

why does everyone think that you go by the tire, you go by the manufacturerers spec's which are in the door pillar on the drivers side or in the glovebox on some models. dont EVER go by they max psi on the tire because thats the maximum it can withstand for a period of time before it will start to **** the tire up internally.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look in ur glove box on left side
Old 08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (93egsedan)

There is different profile of tires, not ALL 13" steelie tires will require the same PSI rating.

When i purchased my 92 Civic Hatch it had tires that had a max psi of 35. Now i replaced the tires with tires that require a max PSI of 44.

I never have them inflated to the max psi, 5 under usually.

Good luck.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (Hatch It)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine say 45 max..

its not by size, and not all tires are the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do not EVER go by what it says on the tire. There should be a sticker in the drivers door frame that will say the manufacturer recomended tire pressure. The number on the tire is the max psi that the tire can hold.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There is different profile of tires, not ALL 13" steelie tires will require the same PSI rating.

When i purchased my 92 Civic Hatch it had tires that had a max psi of 35. Now i replaced the tires with tires that require a max PSI of 44.

I never have them inflated to the max psi, 5 under usually.

Good luck.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You are a moron.
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 PM
tpr

The profile of the tire has little or nothing to do with proper inflation pressure. The manufacturer has tested the vehilcle for optimum performance with stock setup. if you are racing then sometimes it is best to start at a slightly lower pressure so that as the tire (and the air in it) heat up the proper pressure is mantained. No one driving on the street keeps enough heat in the tires to warrant such action. If you have quetsions regarding potential deviatrion from stock pressures contact the tire manufacterer or someone like Tirerack for advise concerning pressure. NEVER USE THE MAX INFLATION LISTED ON THE SIDEWALL OF THE TIRE.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (JDM-97CX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM-97CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You are a moron. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh no the hater is back Nobody likes you.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh no the hater is back Nobody likes you. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that may be true but not an argument im getting into but he kinda right if yuo truly feel thats how tires work, ive NEVER heard of putting more than 30 pounds in a 13 steelie, maybe 35psi, absolute maximum, but its always what the vehicle manufacturer says regardless of size, now jumping from a 13 to like a 17 or 18 yeah, difference there but in different widths and profiles no difference from manufacturers and i DO know what im talking about having worked in a tire shop for 3 years now and handling mainly custom wheels, not saying im "ALL KNOWING" like God but thats kinda common sense
Old 08-23-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatch It &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine say 45 max..

its not by size, and not all tires are the same</TD></TR></TABLE>

You got it. Mine is 42psi and I am running on toyo's. Don't look at the glove box as that is for stock tires and whatever brand Honda used for that year. Look on the tire as I am sure your not running on original tires...lol. I think stock was like 39psi or something, but not sure. Isn't 30 a lil low? Seems to me it would be. I like to stay around 35-40psi. Haven't had any problem and it's been years like this. Tread wear is what it should be and they have held up very nicely.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (Bond)

ya knwo how im feelin now, screw it, no one bothers to listen on this site to people who know what theyre talking about and just chime in with what their cousin bubba or whoever told them. f that. sick of trying to help people out and have other people chime in with **** they dont know about and jsut tellin how they do **** which is wrong. and ive NEVER once in my LIFE heard of anythign but a large truck runnin over 35
Old 08-23-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (isumase)

32 cold, plus or minus 5 is safe.

and yes, the max psi on the tire isnt what you should be using. since when is the "maximum" ever the most reliable?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (iaredavid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iaredavid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">32 cold, plus or minus 5 is safe.

and yes, the max psi on the tire isnt what you should be using. since when is the "maximum" ever the most reliable?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thank effin god someone gets it finally. what you all are saying is the same as saying that a turbo that can run at 30 pounds of boost max is ok to run that high even if the internals of the head/engine arent strong enough to run past 7-8 pounds in a weird sort of way.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:53 PM

somehow every question on h-t turns into a flame or debate. simple answers, its not that hard, people!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have 13's and i fill them with 37psi.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by iaredavid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">somehow every question on h-t turns into a flame or debate. simple answers, its not that hard, people!</TD></TR></TABLE>

so why didnt you answer? heres a simple answer, check yuor door sill on the drivers side or the glovebox and do whatever it says on there and if the sticker is no longer there then id go 33psi.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not exactly sure what the consensus was but I have a similar question.

My sticker on the door says 30psi or whatever but it says the recommended tire size is 14". I have dropped to 13" and kept an almost identical overall diameter. Should i still run the exact same pressure? Does the vehicle recommended inflation hold true for any tire size or just the recommended tire size stated on the sticker?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (old man neri)

yes i would if i were you, after a few thousand miles or your next oil change get the tread depth measured and if theyre wearing a lot more on the outside and inside edge then put a llittle more in but shouldnt be much more than a couple 2 or 3 psi.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:37 PM
tpr

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies??????????????? (old man neri)

What I have found is the best way to set the optimum tire pressure, regardless of the width/profile of the tire Start with them set to the factory specs. Then bump it up 2 psi and then two psi below the factory recommendation. Which ever one makes the car handle/ride like you want it too then leave it there. Be sure to monitor tire wear to be sure you are not sacrificing tread wear for "feel". If the presssure is set to high it can actually reduce the tire footprint. If it is too low the tire will overheat damaging the sidewall and reducing the effective life of the tire. DO NOT JUST READ THE SIDE OF THE TIRE FOR SETTING THE TIRE PRESSURE! THAT IS THE MAXIMUM ALLOWED NOT WHAT IS BEST FOR YOUR PARTICULAR CAR. SEE Above!
Old 08-24-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies???????????????

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by isumase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so why didnt you answer? heres a simple answer, check yuor door sill on the drivers side or the glovebox and do whatever it says on there and if the sticker is no longer there then id go 33psi.</TD></TR></TABLE>

read 2 posts above the one you responded to.

i take back part of what i said. minimum 28 psi, maximum 38 or so. tpr's method works fairly well for determing whats good, but the biggest thing is checking for even wear. this is, of course, assuming you have 0* of camber, and a proper alignment.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am not exactly sure what the consensus was but I have a similar question.

My sticker on the door says 30psi or whatever but it says the recommended tire size is 14". I have dropped to 13" and kept an almost identical overall diameter. Should i still run the exact same pressure? Does the vehicle recommended inflation hold true for any tire size or just the recommended tire size stated on the sticker?</TD></TR></TABLE>

should be fine, 32 psi is pressure measurement, and the volume of air required to attain 32 psi varies, so it wont be harmful for the tire. just make sure that the tire wear is even.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock tire pressure on 13 inch steelies

sweeeeeeet

thankyou all