Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

stock pipe with aftermarket filter end?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock pipe with aftermarket filter end?

Hey guys, I tried searching for this but didn't come up with anything.
I think you can't but I will go ahead and ask...Can you use a stock intake pipe (92-95 civic) with a after market filter end or do I need to buy a after market pipe also? I haven't bought either yet so I am just seeing if I have to get everything after market...If this isn't in the right forum let me know...TIA, mjsotelo91
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (mjsotelo91)

yes u can use the stock intake arm and put an aftermarket filter
Old 11-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just get K&N filter that drops into your stock airbox and you'll be fine.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need an aftermarket pipe as well. They're cheap, just get it.

If you're wondering why, most aftermaket filters have a clamp of some sort to hold the filter onto the intake pipe. Stock Honda intake pipes are plastic or rubber. Plastic compresses. You can clamp down all you want, but the filter will fall off.

At the least, get two clamps and a small piece of intake tube. Insert one end into the stock outlet and the other end into the filter. Clamp both sides. Cheap, effective, and ghetto-fabulous. I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (black_EM1)

ya honesyly as ricey as it sounds i just want a deep sound for my engine..i plan to get a new engine eventually but i was just wondering about the intake..
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

"better" sound
Old 11-15-2007, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need an aftermarket pipe as well. They're cheap, just get it.

If you're wondering why, most aftermaket filters have a clamp of some sort to hold the filter onto the intake pipe. Stock Honda intake pipes are plastic or rubber. Plastic compresses. You can clamp down all you want, but the filter will fall off.

At the least, get two clamps and a small piece of intake tube. Insert one end into the stock outlet and the other end into the filter. Clamp both sides. Cheap, effective, and ghetto-fabulous. I wouldn't recommend it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

NO
uhh my friend has a stock arm and aftermarket filter and it stays on tight...never fell off
Old 11-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (sleeperrex)

i think u will find some of the power is from the metal tubing. the tube usualy stays pretty cool, so it helps cool the air jus that little extra bit.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (crxricer66)

ok i think i will eventually end up getting everyting on the intake aftermarket
Old 11-15-2007, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (sleeperrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeperrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

NO
uhh my friend has a stock arm and aftermarket filter and it stays on tight...never fell off</TD></TR></TABLE>

Directly onto the end, rubber to rubber? If so, I stand corrected.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:12 PM

As ghetto as this already is you can buy a piece of pvc pipe that fits inside the stock intake snug and then put that in there clamp it and then clamp the filter onto that its going to be better then rubber to rubber contact.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (crxricer66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxricer66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think u will find some of the power is from the metal tubing. the tube usualy stays pretty cool, so it helps cool the air jus that little extra bit.</TD></TR></TABLE>
The air is moving too fast for a noticeable level of heat transfer to occur. The power comes from the length of the piping much more than from the material.

OP: Get a K&N drop-in filter, remove the resonator, and you'll get the sound and a little power.
Old 11-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end? (ejoner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ejoner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As ghetto as this already is you can buy a piece of pvc pipe that fits inside the stock intake snug and then put that in there clamp it and then clamp the filter onto that its going to be better then rubber to rubber contact.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Already said that, chief.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The intake sound is annoying to me.
Old 11-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EK_B)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EK_B &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The intake sound is annoying to me. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Not nearly as bad as the exhaust though...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 AM

Default Re: (ddd4114)

Sorry to steal the thread, but it seems like it should go here. Does anybody have a pic of an intake resonator on a 99 civic ex? I'm thinking of putting a new filter + removing the resonator
Old 11-16-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ddd4114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Not nearly as bad as the exhaust though...</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah ringaadingdingdingbrapppp

A K&N drop-in filter will do you good.
Short rams and CAI's are useless IMHO becuse ive been thru both, and found that a stock airbox with an expensive filter will do better than both of those.
The only exception i would mention would be the AEM V2 intake.. that thing is massive. Just my $0.02
Old 11-16-2007, 10:36 AM

Default Re: (97Ej6mike)

dude for 50 bucks you can get the chrome pipe and a filter at auto zone or shucks/kragen/checker it is not k&n but it works fine does the job better than stock crap and this way you dont gotta worrie about the filter falling off the rubber hose LOL
Old 11-16-2007, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BUDtoker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUDtoker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude for 50 bucks you can get the chrome pipe and a filter at auto zone or shucks/kragen/checker it is not k&n but it works fine does the job better than stock crap and this way you dont gotta worrie about the filter falling off the rubber hose LOL</TD></TR></TABLE>
How is a chrome pipe and cheap *** filter better than the stock airbox?
Old 11-16-2007, 01:58 PM

how is it not? i put it on mine and got more than 10 hp out of it for 50 bucks so F*&^ your restrictive stock air box STOCK=CRAPOLA the k&n knock off it has almost the same specs as a k&n setup and is like 4 times cheaper but whatever just put your k&n in your stock air box or cone on your stock tube i dont care it is a freaking air filter for god sake i just telling you there is a cheap way to do it and it still looks good man take it or leave it i dont care! sorry if im in a bad mood but it is what it is!
why dont you go fix your FLUXCAPACITOR LMAO so you can have some vtec LMAO
Old 11-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (BUDtoker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUDtoker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is it not? i put it on mine and got more than 10 hp out of it for 50 bucks so F*&^ your restrictive stock air box STOCK=CRAPOLA the k&n knock off it has almost the same specs as a k&n setup and is like 4 times cheaper but whatever just put your k&n in your stock air box or cone on your stock tube i dont care it is a freaking air filter for god sake i just telling you there is a cheap way to do it and it still looks good man take it or leave it i dont care! sorry if im in a bad mood but it is what it is!
why dont you go fix your FLUXCAPACITOR LMAO so you can have some vtec LMAO</TD></TR></TABLE>

proof? or just your butt dyno told you so?
Old 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ridin98civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ridin98civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">proof? or just your butt dyno told you so?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think the egay ad told him so...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BUDtoker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how is it not?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good point. Thanks for the informative response.
Old 11-16-2007, 03:43 PM

ok.. to put a end to this.. take a peice of metal pipe.. that fits inside your stock intake arm snug.. then take a hose clamp clamp down on the stock intake arm and and metal pipe.. then put your after market air filter on there and clamp down on that. did it with mine.. and works fine.. yet to have the thing fall off.. and as far as cheap goes i have all yall beat.. i got a K&N cone for free.. brand new too. and yes i know this has been mentioned.. but i made it more noob friendly
Old 11-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I use a generic 3" shortram tube to my stock box with a K&N filter and removed resonator. It definatly proved its worth to me for this past autocross season over the summer. I regret ever dumping money into any Shortram or cold air intake, period.
DIY airbox ftw
Old 11-16-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (projekt-sol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by projekt-sol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok.. to put a end to this.. take a peice of metal pipe.. that fits inside your stock intake arm snug.. then take a hose clamp clamp down on the stock intake arm and and metal pipe.. then put your after market air filter on there and clamp down on that. did it with mine.. and works fine.. yet to have the thing fall off.. and as far as cheap goes i have all yall beat.. i got a K&N cone for free.. brand new too. and yes i know this has been mentioned.. but i made it more noob friendly </TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Already said that, chief.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by black_EM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You need an aftermarket pipe as well. They're cheap, just get it.

At the least, get two clamps and a small piece of intake tube. Insert one end into the stock outlet and the other end into the filter. Clamp both sides. Cheap, effective, and ghetto-fabulous. I wouldn't recommend it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See?

Quick Reply: stock pipe with aftermarket filter end?